Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Search on MDA and in the Forum page

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

New Search on MDA and in the Forum

Primal Fuel
    The search bar at the top right and bottom right of the MDA homepage now uses Google Custom Search to search blog content. Google Custom Search has also been installed here in the forum. Note that for forum users that prefer the old forum search function "Advanced Search" is still available.

Despite the inclusion of ads I think it's an improvement, especially for the non-forum part of MDA where the old search engine was poor at best.

MDA readers and forum users (i.e. you) have been asking for a better search engine for a while now. I hope this helps. Let me know what you think and be on the lookout for more site improvements in coming months. Thanks, everyone, and Grok on!

P.S. Any glaring issues you'd like to see resolved? Any structural or navigational improvements to MDA that you'd like to see?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    thanks.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Mark!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    You guys are amazing. =] I don't think anyone else on the internet is this responsive to what their users want. Thanks, Mark!
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! I was searching for articles on stevia on here earlier and it actually worked! I was amazed! And no I see it's cause it's a new search function. Yeah! Thanks Mark.

And on the note of navigational suggestions: I would LOVE there to be a way to tag certain forum threads or something so that I could follow certain threads that are interesting. Maybe have them show up on my profile page or something. A 'favorite threads' function perhaps? Because sometimes I can't find threads I've started or one that was interesting unless it just happens to pop up in the new posts again.

bowhuntr09 is offline Junior Member
    I created a google custom search for this very forum this morning and submitted the URL and got the message that my post would appear after it was approved by the moderator (my post still has not appeared in the forums). I'm certainly glad you implemented it, but a little credit for my idea would certainly have been nice.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Mark, sir, any improvement on the old search feature is a HUGE improvement. Ads are completely acceptable (and you SHOULD get some incidental revenue from your content streams). I'm totally fine with an improved search feature. Thank you. You rock. For what it's worth, I run an unrelated phpBB-based forum and that platform's search is very functional: you can actually search for the instance of the word(s); not just the vague threads they're in. But yes, a Google search is definitely a step in the right direction.

Next...about this "images awaiting moderation" business...?

Quote Originally Posted by bowhuntr09 View Post
    but a little credit for my idea would certainly have been nice.
    I honestly don't mean to rain on your parade but it was not your idea. Folks have been talking about updating the search feature for ages. You're one of them. This is a dynamic forum, and you're part of it! Welcome!

bowhuntr09 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Mark, sir, any improvement on the old search feature is a HUGE improvement. Ads are completely acceptable (and you SHOULD get some incidental revenue from your content streams). I'm totally fine with an improved search feature. Thank you. You rock. For what it's worth, I run an unrelated phpBB-based forum and that platform's search is very functional: you can actually search for the instance of the word(s); not just the vague threads they're in. But yes, a Google search is definitely a step in the right direction.

Next...about this "images awaiting moderation" business...?

I honestly don't mean to rain on your parade but it was not your idea. Folks have been talking about updating the search feature for ages. You're one of them. This is a dynamic forum, and you're part of it! Welcome!
    Oh, I'm sure I'm not the first one who thought of it and may not be the first one to actually create a Google custom search specifically for this site. But I find it just a little more than a coincidence that about 12 hours ago I created a Google custom search page and created a forum post to alert and offer it to others and my post never showed in the forums and suddenly this evening they have implemented it in the site. Like I said, I have no problem with it, but if my attempt at posting it even rattled their cage a little to get them to implement it in the site a tip of the hat would have been appreciated.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    And on the note of navigational suggestions: I would LOVE there to be a way to tag certain forum threads or something so that I could follow certain threads that are interesting. Maybe have them show up on my profile page or something. A 'favorite threads' function perhaps? Because sometimes I can't find threads I've started or one that was interesting unless it just happens to pop up in the new posts again.
    For threads you've posted in or started, you can use the "Find all posts" and "Find all started threads" links in your profile.
    Alternatively, if you've got your "default subscription mode" set to "control panel only" in your settings, they'll all show up under "Subscriptions" in your control panel -- I use Quick Links --> Subscribed Threads to get there easily, but here's a direct URL: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/subscription.php.
    The cool thing about that is, if you want to add a thread to this list WITHOUT posting in it, you can use the "thread tools" link at the top of a thread to subscribe, and it'll follow it just like all the ones you have posted in.
    If any of that doesn't make sense, feel free to ask me for clarification. =]
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Mayness, YOU are the awesome! Thank you! Now I can go find stuff and follow stuff and you have made me very happy! Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast