Thread: The power of suggestion. page

Digby is offline Senior Member

The power of suggestion.

Primal Fuel
    I discovered recently that if I look at recipes, think about trying some new dish, talk about foods I love, etc., that cravings get triggered. Quite by accident at this same time I found while reading about some new exercises, and reviewing some exercises in PB that I was anxious to try them. The lesson for me is to focus my thoughts on the healthier behaviors; think about moving more than eating. I love to cook, but I'm resolved to spend less time looking at cookbooks, and thinking about primal substitutes, etc. I lose weight slowly, so every little bit helps. After all, the brain is the director of one's life story. I hope Mark will do a blog bit on the power of thought.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Glad you've made this discovery! I used to spend tons of time reading and bookmarking unhealthy recipes and 'substitutes' - I found I'm much better off just throwing some meat and vegetables in a pan. It's still fun to try recipes, but I only do it sometimes, and they tend to be healthy, non-treat ones.

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    In his book Why We Get Fat, Gary Taubes talks about how insulin is secreted when we even begin to THINK about eating. That could be part of the issue here. So yes, in this case, not thinking about food could be helpful. Or peruse the cookbooks after you've eaten a huge, fatty Primal meal.

Yeah, like Pavlov's dogs. Makes one despair sometimes; just have keep reminding myself what those bells are--like going into the kitchen.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm doing a short fast for a few days to help my shoulder surgery heal, and have had more opportunities to notice how many times during the day that pictures of food, commercials, a drive by a restaurant, even general conversations where food is mentioned, can immediately trigger thoughts of eating. I believe that the cues are so finely tuned that for some people cravings can get triggered far more easily than we may realize via the insulin which comes into the blood even at the thought. Getting control over all the hundreds of suggestions about food is a big challenge in these days. When I was a kid there were far fewer such suggestions, stores and fast-food places on every corner, and so on. Now we are truly bombarded with cues to eat. Seems to me that a major part of going primal, eating low carb, is recognizing the cues in order to respond in a positive manner. My success now comes from having slowly, but surely been learning the cues.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Try EFT. Works great for "reprogramming" where you put your attention.