Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up w/ my body?! Frustrated. page

duckmama is offline Senior Member

What's up w/ my body?! Frustrated.

Shop Now
    Looking for any thoughts from my PB friends.

I've been primal for about a month but have been doing a sort of Atkins meets Primal since last May. When I discovered Primal a couple months ago, I realized that how I was eating was not too far off, so I've shifted to Primal and love it.

When I initially changed my WOE last May to my Atkins-style WOE, I lost about 10 pounds over the course of a couple of months (I don't have lots to lose, but have a bit more padding than I would like). This past fall, I really ramped up my workouts in terms of doing much more resistance training, which I didn't realize at the time was pretty similar to PBF. Between then and now, I've gained some weight - probably muscle (I hope) because I've stayed pretty true to my WOE with a few bobbles along the way around the holidays, etc.

So now I'm about the same weight I was when starting last spring (my 10 lbs came back), and I'm definitely more musular. DH can tell! But I've gained about an inch around my hips and waist too! Am I just adding muscle on top of my fat, and my fat's not moving?! I can't figure it out, and I'm starting to get frustrated. If the scale is not moving, I'm learning to be OK with that, but I want to lose inches at the very least, and I'm not. I seem to be gaining inches! Argh! I'm more toned, but my jeans are fitting tighter!

According to my math, I'm eating in the right calorie range (between about 1800 - 2000) for someone of my height (I'm 5'10" - tallish for a girl) and activity level. I don't religiously track calories but spot-check a day or two every week just to make sure I'm in range. Some days I'm over, some days I'm under.

According to the "math," I should be losing about a pound a week, but I'm not. I keep my carb levels below 100 and quite often they're in the range of 50-ish a day or under. I don't eat much fruit (a couple of pieces per week at most) and same thing with nuts. I eat dairy (cheese) as more of a condiment than anything else -- small quantities.

Just looking for any insight, or at the very least, for someone to listen to me vent.

Phaedrus is offline Senior Member
    Are you drinking alcohol?
    Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    duckmamma...i think you need to give us a pretty good breakdown of what you are eating. show us what a typical day is like for you food wise, and show us a week's worth of exercise, and hopefully we can get you closer to an answer

Here's a recent day when I tracked (as I said, I don't track every day, but maybe I need to for awhile).

Bkfst
    Pork sausage patty - homemade with 20% ground pork and my own seasonings added. Probably 4 oz.
    One hard boiled egg
    about 1/4 cup of coconut milk in 2 cups of half-caf coffee

Lunch
    BAS with spinach as the base, 1/4 of a small avocado, 1/3 cup of beets I had roasted at home the night before, about a half-cup of cooked ground beef that was leftover from the last night's dinner. Dressing on the salad was a tsp of olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Snack
    Cucumber slices dipped in some homemade bluecheese dressing (made from sour cream, blue cheese, seasonings).

Dinner
    Country-style pork ribs cooked in the Grok Pot with stewed tomatoes and onions, garlic. Probably about 6 oz total. Broccoli stir fried in bacon fat w/ garlic.
    A square of dark chocolate and a glass of red wine. Note to Phaedrus above - I do drink some red wine - maybe that's my downfall, but it fits in with my calorie and carb count goals. (?)

According to the nutrition tracker on Sparkpeople for the day above, my counts were 1865 cal, 48 carbs, 138 fat, 84 protein. (11% carb, 70% fat, 19% protein). Some days it's closer to around 10% carb, 60% fat, 30% protein).

As for workouts, I do 2 session of resistance training per week of about 20 - 30 minutes each. I get about 3 hours per week of "move slowly" which might mean power walks, sessions on my ellipitcal, a workout DVD that's low-impact. I aim for 5 - 6 days per week of some form of exercise. I haven't done much sprinting yet or IFing, although I do skip breakfast now & then because I'm not hungry.

Just looking for any coaching. Sometimes it's easy to be so close to something that you lose sight of what's not working.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Others will chime in, but for me, I could eat that diet all year long and never shift an ounce without dropping dairy.

My dairy consisted of 1 oz of heavy cream in coffee. As soon as I eliminated that-THAT!-I dropped weight in a hurry. Put it back, weight stays or gradually creeps up. Makes no sense to me, but something about affects me in a big way.

Something to try, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    Others will chime in, but for me, I could eat that diet all year long and never shift an ounce without dropping dairy.

My dairy consisted of 1 oz of heavy cream in coffee. As soon as I eliminated that-THAT!-I dropped weight in a hurry. Put it back, weight stays or gradually creeps up. Makes no sense to me, but something about affects me in a big way.

Something to try, at any rate.
    Yeah, I've heard that said about dairy, and I recently (couple weeks ago) cut dairy way back. I wasn't eating a ton of it before but cream in my coffee and a piece or two of cheese every day. I switched to coconut milk as my coffee cream and some days have no dairy at all. My day above did include some sour cream & blue cheese though so I'm not completely dairy-free.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Tinkering...That's what I needed to do. I dropped my carbs down to 5% (1500 calories for this 5'6" small-boned gal,) and the last few pounds is dropping off--nice and slow--approx 1 pound per week! I eat lots of cheese.

Now that I am Primal, I definitely found that I need fewer calories than the charts say I should be eating.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I honestly think your diet looks spot on. Could there be some other factor affecting you? What are your stress levels like, how long do you sleep for? Do you suffer from any negative symptoms other than lack of weightloss, have you had any major illnesses in the past?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't do much tweaking, some red wine is not going to throw you off the rails don't sweat the small stuff.

Make protein more a focus, I know we stress fat here, but most meat proteins come with a good dose of fat (sometimes more fat than protein) and then add fibrous veggies, spinach, chard, kale, etc.

Above all, find food combinations that you like. Trying to imitate someone else's diet is futile if you don't enjoy it. I, for instance, couldn't eat what you eat because none of it sounds yummy (no offense, just used to different food)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Tinkering...That's what I needed to do.
    Yeah, I probably need to do more tinkering. I hate getting hung up on the numbers & the tracking, which is why I generally don't track every day but do more "spot-checking." I try to listen to my hunger, eat when hungry until I'm satisfied, etc. etc.

I was a Weight Watchers junky for a few years and got so deadly sick of tracking and becoming obsessed with numbers. Last spring when I was initially losing, I wasn't tracking at all other than I was keeping a food journal (but it didn't include all the nutrient info, just a record of what I ate).

Maybe I just need to suck it up and track religiously for a few weeks and see how I can tinker with the numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast