Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coping with Pain page

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member

Coping with Pain

I began Primal living in mid-March 2010. By September I was 10 pounds away from my goal weight. I'd never been happier or healthier.
    before..jpg

After..jpg

October through January, I had a lot of pain and was ill with pleurisy for over 2 months. I couldn't be active and I comforted myself with sugar. I regained all the weight I lost and lost all the muscle I gained.

I'm starting over again, but I need better ways to cope with chronic pain. Here's what I've been doing, and it had been working for a couple of weeks, but I turned to sugar again yesterday.
    Reading the Apple & other positive health and wellness Webpages;
    Readings children's literature;
    Remembering fun vacations/activities
    Listening to music;
    Resting w/o guilt;
    Being with pets; and
    watching movies

Can anyone share strategies for when you are having a hard time coping with something?

I so regret the choices I made this fall and winter.

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    Just keep getting back on that horse. When I'm in a downward spiral, deciding to do just one positive thing (like eating a good breakfast) and giving myself permission to not be perfect with anything else just yet helps me get back on track.

I love your list - how do you feel about long walks? A long walk in the woods always helps me - even if I don't feel like walking, I tell myself that I'll take the shortest trail and walk as slow as I want. It always works.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Five minutes of focused, deep breathing, in the morning and the evening, or any time you feel stressed. Focus on the pain, and imagine you are releasing it from your body with every breath out, and every breath in is filling your afflicted areas with healing, golden/white light. Emphasis on DEEP breaths, really expand your lungs down towards your pelvis, and exhale fully. To practice a full exhale, make a SSSSS noise until you can't anymore. Them just relax and let your lungs expand on their own. I love this technique.

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    Thank you both! Yes, with the proper type of shoes (I have a spine injury), I do enjoy walks up to 5 miles.
    I've been interested in meditation and deep breathing (I also study tai chi). I will happy to try your suggestion every day - several times a day.
    Thank you so much!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    omg, Dragonfly, I have checked out EFT before but never really tried it until tonight and . . . . I LOVE IT!!!! Bird Goddess, PLEASE check out the link that Dragonfly posted, I am SURE it will help . . . couldn't hurt to try!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsToon View Post
    omg, Dragonfly, I have checked out EFT before but never really tried it until tonight and . . . . I LOVE IT!!!! Bird Goddess, PLEASE check out the link that Dragonfly posted, I am SURE it will help . . . couldn't hurt to try!
    Glad it helped, MrsToon! EFT cleared my lifelong asthma, amongst other things... I've been a practitioner for 4 years.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I suffered from intense pain for several years from severe RA. What helped me the most was the book, A New Earth. The odd thing is, this book does not focus on how to free yourself from physical pain. It is more about emotional pain. But the technique of accepting what is happening in the moment worked well for me. Instead of holding my breath waiting for a moment with no pain, the idea is to let the pain wash over you and accept it as it is. For me, not fighting the pain helped me to cope.

Please don't waste your time and energy focused on the past. You can only choose what you will do right now.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    for me, doing crafts is really helpful in getting my mind off things and restoring a sense of competency.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Goddess: What is the nature of your spine injury? I'm wondering if any of the treatments I've undergone might help you too....
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast