Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Trust the Process" page

ennasirk is offline Senior Member

"Trust the Process"

Shop Now
    "Trust the Process" is something my personal trainer tells me when I'm frustrated that the scale's not moving (or moving in the wrong direction), that my pants aren't falling off my ass fast enough, or I feel like I took a step backwards in something fitness related. He says "You're doing the right things, right? You're still eating well? You're coming in to see me? You're exercising on your own?" If my answer to all of those is "Yes" then he just says "Trust the process."

After a nice, quick (mostly water weight) re-start of eating Primal, over the past few weeks, every time I got on the scale, I had to tell myself to trust the process, because all I did was bounce up and down within in a 4-5 lb range. Nothing's really changed this week in the "process" but for whatever reason, my body's decided it's time to let go of some weight.

I post this graph for anyone who's doing things right and not seeing movement as a reminder that 1) Weight loss is seldom perfectly linear or logical and 2) if you're getting the "big picture" right, stressing about the "micro picture" might be counterproductive (e.g., "I ate X food last night and the scale went up this morning" or "I ate Y food last night and the scale went down this morning" and concluding that therefore Y food > X food).

I realize that some peoples' conclusion on this might be "don't get on the scale every day." I can certainly respect that sentiment, but for me, tracking daily movements helps to keep me honest and to have the data to really see the trend long-term even though the day to day might bounce around a bit. I fully expect more flat stretches on my way to my goal weight (particularly as I get closer) but looking at this graph reminds me that my body will eventually get with the program as long as I'm still doing the process right.

"Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Cool! That's neat to see.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Uncledave is offline Member
    I agree. Here is my "goal" graph from start through today. It's a longer term graph than yours and I don't weigh every day or even on a consistent basis, but you can see that it isn't a constant downward move. It looks relatively smooth but that's because it's a longer time period and less frequent updates. The point remains, don't sweat the individual weights if you are weighing, just keep following the program and you will see positive results.

Start weight 403 09/29/2010
    Current weight 335
    On my way to becoming half the man I used to be...

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this thread. "Trust the process", I like that.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    I needed this reminder. I am trusting the process, but it's hard not to feel impatient during plateaus! Thanks for posting this.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Here's my two year process from 208 to 146 (the bump you see at the end, as well as alot of the sharp fluctuations up/down are just water weight fluctuations...esp in the last few months when I've been playing around with carb levels).

When I started trusting the process, my stress levels came way down and the weight and inches came off a lot more easily.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbwifemama View Post
    Thanks for this thread. "Trust the process", I like that.
    +1

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    totally agree, and I'm finding the same thing applies to getting fit as well. You keep doing it, and the gains come but not always on a strict schedule.
    Here is my graph from my original weight loss period Feb 2010 - Sep 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this. I just posted another thread about my frustrations (kind of similar to yours). I know there are things I can continue to improve on, but I also need to "trust the process." When I get frustrated, DH says to me "Do you feel better?" When I say "Absolutely!" then he says "So why are you frustrated?!"

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    K so... three days after you posted this, I suddenly dropped three pounds. What the what? hahaha - I knew it was coming, but didn't know when. Maybe this thread reminded me to relax about the whole thing... I don't know.

Then, snooping around the nets like I tend to do, I ran across this article. Seems to make sense, and the Whoosh effect he describes does seem to match up with my experience. Interesting, huh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast