Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Primal Superfood page 3

peacheater is offline Member
    Omg I just tried that Saveur recipe for calves' liver I posted above! Sooooo delicious. Give it a shot, if any of you are on the fence about liver. I didn't have any parsley on hand unfortunately but it was still scrumptious.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i've GOT to give liver another chance. Tried cooking liver once (i think full grown steer?), first soaking it in milk, but i just HATED it. It had a grainy texture to it. The closest i've ever gotten to liking organ meats is whatever goes in dirty rice, i think it's gizzards? Luv em!

Digby, do you think your recipe could fool a non-liver eater? Sometimes i have to "trick" my hubs into eating stuff.

b4ds33d is offline Member
    eating a part of the body that filters toxin makes no sense what-so-ever. i'll pass.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HowToDieYoung View Post
    I have to say I have found the best ultimate primal superfood out there. Offal is amazing. I before would worry about getting all my vitamins and minerals but when I just had a few random pieces of sesos (brain), liver or beef heart, I would get optimal levels of the things most people miss in their diet. If you are looking for a great way to get those extra nutrients you must try offal. Does anyone have any unique recipets or preparations they would like to share. I wrote this in ode to my love for offal; it also discusses some of the benefits. http://howtodieyoung.blogspot.com/20...superfood.html
    Try this site for recipes: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/the-nasty-bits/

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    I was told the liver is a warehouse of nutrients, but also it stores quiet a bit of toxins.
    Might not be true of free range grass fed I suspect.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b4ds33d View Post
    eating a part of the body that filters toxin makes no sense what-so-ever. i'll pass.
    This seems to make sense but I'm betting it's actually quite stupid. *checks the internet* Yep...stupid.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    This seems to make sense but I'm betting it's actually quite stupid. *checks the internet* Yep...stupid.
    Better you said it than me.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    I've been wondering about liver too. I like it, but it seems the liver I've been getting at the store -- "beef liver" -- lately has kind of a granular nasty texture to it, instead of being just smooth. It doesn't seem to have much internal structure either; it's not firm, just all mushy and granular. What's up with that? It tastes ok, but is it maybe from a diseased cow? An old cow? A grain-fed cow?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    +1
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Go for grassfed meat/ offal whenever possible. I also think it is better for liver to be thinly sliced--1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. As to fooling anyone, liver would be hard to disguise, that is why you cover it with load of bacon & onion. Don't forget chicken liver wrapped around a water chestnut then wrapped
    in bacon
    --hardly seems like liver at all. As to toxins: the job of filtering does not mean the liver or kidneys stores the toxin, the blood and urine do the transporting. Toxins are usually stored in the fat tissues, as I learned when I got an overdose of DDT in our orchards in the 1950s.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast