Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does IF work? page

dboxing is offline Senior Member

Does IF work?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I donít know if the following counts as CW, but many of these ideas are expressed by people working in fitness/athletics. Iíd like to hear your thoughts.

1. You lose muscle (and some say equal amount to fat) when you fast, so fasting is contraindicated for anyone either competing in athletics or training to gain muscle mass.
    2. Your body slows its metabolic rate when you fast, so it makes it harder to lose weight when you are no longer fasting.
    3. Food has a thermogenic effect. Eating the right foods ďstokes your furnaceĒ and increases metabolism.
    4. If fasting is an efficient method for reducing body fat, why do people with really low body fat (sprinters, bodybuilders, gymnasts) generally eat multiple meals each day (5-7).
    5. Many people who fast end-up looking low tone. They may lose weight, but they donít appear athletic or fit.
    6. If fasting, on an intermittent basis, really works. Shouldnít we all just eat once or twice a day?

Iím not really hungry in the mornings and could easily move to eating twice a day. However, I donít need to lose any weight. I would like to lose a little more body fat though (go from a 4 pack to a six pack, drop from a 33-34 waist to a 30-32 waist), and am very interested in IF. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Of course, Iíd really like to hear from Mark on these points also.

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member
    I had questions regarding these same types of things, a good resource other members pointed me to was leangains.com I am currently doing the 16 hours fast/ 8 hour feeding routine and I am happy with the results so far

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahmasteller View Post
    I had questions regarding these same types of things, a good resource other members pointed me to was leangains.com I am currently doing the 16 hours fast/ 8 hour feeding routine and I am happy with the results so far
    Thanks! Would you mind elaborating a little bit on being happy with the results so far?

Annlee is offline Senior Member

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I would say also check out theleansaloon.com as well as seconding leangains.com. I am a daily IFer and I workout five days a week and from my experience your numbered points are 0 for 6. IF is a great way to regulate the amount of food that you eat and works very will with a workout program to get you in the best shape of your life.

cavemanj is offline Senior Member
    I do about 2 IFs a week, so far this month I'm down 15lbs (to 215.5 from 231.5) and I'm benching 225lbs 4x. Plus I can do pullups now.

I have a theory -- I don't think we need as much protein as everyone says to gain muscle. In any case, I also gain muscle easily so I might not be the best person to ask.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    The comments about metabolism are typical misinformation that gets credibility from being repeated on the Internet ad nauseum.

Our metabolisms are not that 'delicate' or are they under our control as much as people think. The body would not 'adjust' metabolism unless it was without food for a minimum of 48 hours. The short fasts of IF do NOT slow the metabolism.

As to the 'thermogenic' aspects of eating--yes, eating causes digestion, and digestion uses the body's energy for the process. THAT, however, has nothing to do with the metabolism. Your metabolism does not 'speed up' when you eat! The body's metabolism is mainly regulated by the thyroid, and it is fairly immune to 'tinkering' by us--unless you decide to starve yourself for a significant period of time.

nopie is offline Senior Member
    I'm a HUGE fan of IF.

I'm not an expert so I wont cite why it works, but I know I get a better workout in a fasted state, feel more calm, less moody, less hunger (yes!), less cravings and much better weight loss results.

I generally do a 5 hour eating window (from 5-10pm) but every so often I will do a longer fast.

I don't think I would suggest IF unless you are fairly low carb to begin with. I think it's easier to switch into a fasted state if your body is already used to using fat as fuel.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavemanj View Post
    I have a theory -- I don't think we need as much protein as everyone says to gain muscle.
    The math is really easy. Muscle is 16% protein by weight. If you add 5g of protein per day to your muscles, you gain a half pound per week.

Gordo

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    I'm 26 hours into a fast... I'm considering doing 47-48 hours, I just don't know if that's borderline unhealthy. I won't do this in a regular fashion, I do a 16/8 hour window usually but yesterday I binged and I decided to do a longer fast.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast