Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if Primal is necessary for me page

Milty is offline Senior Member

Not sure if Primal is necessary for me

Shop Now
    Don't get me wrong, I think I would enjoy going full primal. I have not been able to make the full leap yet, but I have made major improvements. My sugar intake is way down now, I've eliminated it (easier than I thought) from my tea and coffee, eat far fewer sugary snacks throughout the week, and no more soda or juice.

My grain intake is lower as well, I have no idea when I ate a sandwich/cereal/oatmeal last. Pasta and pizza still make their regular appearances though (but in smaller portions).

The exercise part of it, I have been working on getting to the 5 essentials, however I've yet to attempt the sprinting and I know I still do not walk enough. Though in the past 2 weeks I've only felt motivated or well enough to get in 1-2 workouts a week.

My background, I'm 28 (as of Feb 1), have a desk job I love, currently about 170lbs (down from 180 mid-December, I had gained about 30 since quitting smoking and becoming too comfortable in a relationship).

Considering the way I have always eaten (minimal vegetables, tons of grains and unhealthy snacks, sodas, sugary juices, no water), I am completely astounded I was never bigger. Pretty much everything possible to do wrong, I was doing. I even chose a career based around sitting at a desk so I wouldn't have to do physical labour or exercise. Though I certainly feel most days that I want to be more active now and it will help me live a better healthier life, but could it be that all I really need to do is eat healthier as I've been doing (half-assed) and just get in some regular exercise? Rather than making the full leap. And that seems to be enough.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You’re fine Milty.

This forum is a community, not a club for which you must do x, y and z in order to belong.

You’re of course much better off now that you’ve acquired better eating habits and understand the harm that sugar and grains do, but also understand that in order for them to wreak havoc you must have them constantly. Lowering your intake is going to help even if you never fully eliminate them.

Regarding exercise, you don’t HAVE to exercise using the PBF. Honestly speaking, I only downloaded the PBF to give it to a friend. I never once read it (I probably would benefit from doing so, don’t get me wrong) but did thumb through it and saw that the exercises do already resemble what I’m doing.

It’s not imperative for you to follow the primal blueprint down to the letter, I don’t, and I’m still much better off than I was a year ago. So don’t stress it.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Any improvement is still an improvement. I didn't see years of dietary indiscretions start showing up on my waistline until my 30's. Youth is a very forgiving time, but it all adds up eventually. The more one can embrace a primal lifestyle, the better results one will see over the long haul (IMO). But, not everyone - even here on the forum - lives 100% primal 100% of the time.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

@iniQuity I've realized that over the past month. When I first started researching this kind of lifestyle I thought it would be very strict and any slip-ups would set you back. But since signing up to this forum and browsing peoples journals and threads I see a lot of leniency and no intolerance.

For the PBF, I actually really like it. It is clear, concise, and incorporates a lot of movement in a compact form. Compared to what I was doing before (zero exercise) it is quite an improvement. It's all clearly indicated how to progress and unless I'm feeling like total crap I will push myself to get it in. I see how effective it is firsthand. For a month I did it full on and saw major improvement in my endurance. I felt shitty for about 2 weeks, didn't do much, and now have to build up again to be even to where I left off.

But by far, I am so happy with how much sugar I've eliminated. I've always had a major sweet tooth. The other day I tried eating an apple and it was so sweet I started to get slightly nauseous.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Diet is 80% of the answer to healthy body, so I say aim to eventually eliminate all grains from your diet....how you transition there is your choice. Just know grains are damaging to your system, probably worse in regular smaller "allowed" cheats than, occasional lessvfrequent splurges.

Yes, don't get me wrong. I know now what it does to our bodies and would like to eliminate it entirely, but I guess I am realizing it is not necessary to do everything the right way all at once in order to see the benefits. It can be a gradual process and still have huge results.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milty View Post
    Yes, don't get me wrong. I know now what it does to our bodies and would like to eliminate it entirely, but I guess I am realizing it is not necessary to do everything the right way all at once in order to see the benefits. It can be a gradual process and still have huge results.
    Totally. I put forth the “burger challenge”

I, Iniquity, of sound mind and boyishly good looks, do solemnly swear to never, ever, eat a burger sans bun. Further, I vow never to sub my fries for a salad, but would make said sub for sweet potato fries.

I love burgers, a little too much. I have eaten ground beef by itself and do just fine with that, but de-flowering a burger makes me feel just… wrong.

So, I’ll never be fully grain-free, I’ll never stay entirely away from hydrogenated oils, etc.

However, I’m entirely okay with this. I’m at a stage where I understand how to eat, what food does to my body in particular, etc. I’m mostly a meat and fibrous veggies guy, but I’ll never give up my love for burgers and that’s my little metaphor. I don’t even consider my burgers as cheats, DENYING myself that burger would be cheating to me. Cheating myself out of something I truly enjoy.

Oh and check out Zinburger and if one exists near you go, get a burger and a bacon vodka bloody mary (with a crispy piece of bacon in it!!!) then come back and thank me.

I live in Newfoundland, Canada, not Newfoundland, NJ, so there is definitely no Zinburger around here. But if I ever visit the mainland or the states I will have to look it up.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the "you get out of it what you put into it" camp. The closer you get to 100%, the better your results will be. That being said, I think that even half-assed PB is probably an improvement over your old habits

I eased into this way of eating very gradually. As I adopted a more "primal" diet, I experienced the benefits, which encouraged me to make my diet even more primal, and so on. I'm still tweaking - cutting my carbs a little more, playing with IFing, including new meats in my diet, decreasing dairy, etc. Some days (today for example) I'm damn near the Primal poster child. Other times (like over the holidays or when I'm traveling) I'm... well, passable.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Steve-O is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Milty, I'm kind of in the same boat. For me primal, meant simply rebalancing my diet to include much less grains/carbs and more sat fat, protein, and vegetables. It's also meant shorter more intense work outs rather than moderate drawn out ones.

I too occasionally eat some grains--I'll even indulge in pizza once in a while when the craving arises. I equate this to putting drops of gas or oil on a fire. They' may excite the fire briefly, but they won't cause any permanent flare ups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast