Thread: Dehydration page

Bushrat is offline Senior Member

Dehydration

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What is the best way to recover from dehydration? What minerals, salts, vitamins etc do you need to replenish?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    How dehydrated are you? I once wound up in the ER because my blood pressure tanked from dehydration, and I collapsed. In that case, the solution was IV fluids for a couple of days.

I have a problem with dehydration, despite drinking a lot of fluids, and my doctor recommended a sports drink to replace electrolytes. Pedialyte is also good. That helps the other fluids to remain in my system. When I'm feeling the effects of low BP (my signal that I'm dehydrated) a glass of Pedialyte usually provided sufficient electrolytes.

Valarauko is offline Senior Member
    I have heard "coconut water" is the best nature can offer up, haven't tried it yet but intend to one day (when I can find some!)

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Coconut water with lots of Redmond Real Salt or pink salt added would be good.

A lot of people are low in their sodium stores, believe it or not (esp. if they have any degree of adrenal fatigue, which so many do) and water can't enter the cells without sodium. The more water they drink, the further they dilute their blood sodium levels and the lower their blood pressure gets.
    Adding a generous amount of unrefined salt to all your water makes a huge difference.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I have trouble retaining potassium. Not terribly common, but it can be problematic.

Google homemade pedialyte for a few recipes; I usually add nusalt to mine.

If getting plenty of fluids doesn't help, and you still feel funky, add magnesium and potassium....mag oxide is absorbed pretty well (surprisingly) and it's cheap-too much will give you the runs, however. (Fair warning). For potassium I use Nusalt. Tastes like fiery dirt (it's hideous...take my word for it!) but works. A little V8 or something helps mask the flavor. Even lemon juice in a pinch.

Mag and potassium are intertwined so if you're low on one, you'll likely be low on the other.

nutritionut is offline Member
    Kelp has an easily assimilated ratio of potassium and sodium.

Celtic sea salt is said to be of high quality and loaded with minerals.

I take liquid trace minerals from ConcenTrace. It's good stuff.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I keep packaged oral rehydration salts in my first aid kit, especially since we've been travelling to tropical countries, and they work well. Rehydration is about more than just salt and water--potassium is part of the usual mixture. Also, this is one case where you need a bit of some type of sugar (which is part of why coconut water is good since it has natural sugar in it). You can find recipes online.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    How dehydrated are you?
    Thansk everyone

I'm better now. It was a few days ago. Aus is having a heat wave and I was outside all day. I drank a lot of water, had some salt on my fish and chips, drank down lots of sports drinks the next day (they have sugar) and had more salty food (bacon) and then had my infusion yesterday which includes a sodium chloride flush.

I thought I needed some salt, starchy carbs, potassium and magnesium. Glad to see I was on the right track.

I have been so dehydrated before that I went to the hospital and had an IV.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I keep packaged oral rehydration salts in my first aid kit, especially since we've been travelling to tropical countries, and they work well. Rehydration is about more than just salt and water--potassium is part of the usual mixture. Also, this is one case where you need a bit of some type of sugar (which is part of why coconut water is good since it has natural sugar in it). You can find recipes online.
    Good idea. I will put some of these together for the future.

Is this a good recipe: http://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm
    Last edited by Bushrat; 02-04-2011 at 07:56 PM.