Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal: Punkgrokgirl Vs. Her Own Fat Butt, Round 1, FIGHT! page 4

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow adrenal fatigue really sounds like me. Where did you get your progesterone cream?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

@IcarianVX Thanks for the encouragement, and oh man, Christian Death.. I haven't even thought of them in years. That's awesome.

@namelesswonder I glanced at your journal, seems like you have been through a lot, so it's entirely possible. Diet and exercise can't be the only focus for people like us, actively learning to relax and destress is a big part of the battle. I swear, it gets a lot easier when the other factors start getting in line, though, and getting out inflammatory agents like gluten and dairy does nothing but good in the long run, even though it can feel like a suckfest when some bit of conventional food is staring you in the face.

Life Flo Progesta Care is the brand I use, natural progesterone cream is over the counter and I chose this because it had strong reviews and was relatively cheap. Have you had your Dr check your hormone levels? It's probably not vital, but it's nice to know. If you use progesterone and it doesn't do anything or just makes you sleepy, you'll know it's not what you need... And if it is, well that is just rad.

There is something magically restorative about sunbathing. Living in NYC rarely offers opportunities for it, unless you can make it to one of the big parks where they don't chase you off the grass all day. I live far enough out though that I, with the help of 4 other roommates, have a proper yard. A huge yard, actually. I'm moving back to Brooklyn on September first, and will likely not have access to such delights again til I move out of the city, so I'm taking advantage of it while I can. A couple of hours on a blanket in the sun, unfortunately exposing my neighbors to the mild horror of me in a bikini, but whatever. I feel solar powered right now, deliciously warm and thrumming with energy.

I'm gonna miss this so much.

In other news, I finally figured out how to get lotsa coconut oil back into my diet on these hot summer days when the thought of fried anything makes me kinda nauseous. "Egg Creams"! I stumbled across them in a low carb forum. The recipes I found were low fat, but I tried adding coconut oil and it's a vast improvement, keeps me basically unable to eat anything else for 6+ hours.

1 egg.. Into the blender! Whirr it right up and drizzle in,

2-4 tablespoons coconut oil, stop the blender and pour in

barely a 1/4 cup of coconut milk, or heavy cream, or (my favorite) goat's milk kefir (start with a minimum, you can always add more later to thin it, but it's hard to thicken one you have too much liquid), plus,

Stevia to taste (I've been using Vanilla Creme flavored stevia extract, 10 drops, it's pretty good)

Vanilla extract to taste

A tsp of Maple Syrup or Honey (because I ain't scared of no carbs, and I don't like stevia on it's own where the next ingredient is concerned)

Heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder (extra points for organic, Dagoba does one with chocolate chunks in that is too die for), or not, you could add berries instead, or anything else your little heart desires, the whirr that up so the cocoa powder gets a mixed in well, then add

a scoop or two of whey powder, depending on how thick you like your milkshake thang, then buzz that in to the mix, followed by

4-6 ice cubes, again, depending on the texture you like, then put that sucker on high till you have a glorious, frosty Egg Cream.

I add a pinch of salt after I had an incident where these were my breakfast for a week straight, eating very little dinner (I'm serious, these fill me up for a whole day), and sweating like a mofo at work, I got really sick and realized my salt levels were drastically low, which is bad when you're dealing with adrenal problems. Upped the salt intake, problem solved.

I think getting in enough coconut oil in the summer is a big deal for me, because it makes me pretty sunburn proof. I took a friend of mine to Coney Island last week, he lives in South East Asia, he went home with a sunburn, I went home with a deep tan. Mmm, coconut oil FTW! Likewise laying out in the sun today from 11 to 12:30, prime sunburn hours, but, nope! Just finally got some colour on my stomach.

Alright, enough slacking, I got some short ribs to braise in gluten free beer! ...That there is definitely my twenty percent.

So I realized something pretty interesting the other day, in light of looking back on the past two weeks of feeling particularly awesome, and catching up on forum posts.

I've been accidentally following the leptin reset protocol.

Hah!

I started the protein shakes because cooked food in the morning was squicking me out in all this heat, not realizing they shot my morning protein intake to close to 50g, then I've been so busy that I've had no time for snacking, and managed to only one or two light meals after that. Being so full in the morning I've had enough energy to get so much done in my busy, busy day. It all makes sense now.

I know that whey protein is recommended against, but it's been doing right by me, maybe the generous amounts of coconut oil damp any insulin spikes.

I guess I'm just going to keep on this way, since it's been working so nicely, and now I know exactly what I was doing right! Another piece of the puzzle falls into place! Woo!

cahj1968 is offline Junior Member
    check out eat stop eat by brad pilon. it will give you more info than you can imagine on fasting. It was through his site and blogs that I found this site....

Thanks, Cahj1968, I am a big fan of IF'ing, but I shouldn't be doing it til I'm healthier. It wasn't very kind to my adrenal issues. Once that stuff is more sorted and healed, definitely!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punkgrokgirl View Post
    ...squicking me out in all this heat....
    That actually made me choke on my water. LMAO.

I use whey to get my protein intake up. It may not officially be primal, but it works well.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    That actually made me choke on my water. LMAO.

I use whey to get my protein intake up. It may not officially be primal, but it works well.
    Almost killing random folks over the internets? My work here is done!

But, yeah, it's all in service of improving health, it's a bit of a shortcut, but more good than harm. I figure come fall I'll be okay with bone broth +meaty stew for breakfast. The shakes are great though, I run allll day on them and feel solid.
    ---------------

So my mother and my youngest brother have gone primal after I got my mom to buy the PB book and explained the benefits. I'm super excited for them. The kid is 12 and has always been chubby, but was getting wider by the month, just around the gut too, a prepubescent 12 year old with the beer guy of a 45 year old cop. Ouch. Poor kid. Since my mom embraced primal for both of them , the gut was gone in under two months. I think he lost something like 17 pounds. He's got nothing but puppy fat left, and that'll go when puberty does it's thing. I'm so proud of him.

Ahh, more work, go to go, more later.

Ah, a morning off! Right, so the little brother. In addition to losing the big gut, he's just so much more mellow and happy, as opposed to moody (especially when he was hungry). He used to get terribly socially anxious, But I think the belly loss has given him new confidence and much more energy, he went to summer camp for the first time this year and made tons of friends and had a great time. Even with my own improvements, I think seeing him thrive is one of the best things to come out of finding primal. I've been worried about his health and our mom letting him live on pizza and chicken fingers for years, but he's actually eating veggies now!

Now if my mom would stop living on on fruit, nuts and cheese, maybe she'd see some weightloss too. :\ Ah well.

I kind've derailed myself last weekend with too much carby eating, not enough protein, and too much snacking, but I got it together Tuesday when I realized what I had been doing right (leptin reset style). I'm still at 183.4, so I figure as long as I'm consistent this weekend, the fat loss should resume.

I haven't been working out, but a several times a day I do a pull up or two on our doorway bar (with the 70lbs resistance band), or knock out 10 air squats. I'm also walking a lot, now that I spend more time in Brooklyn working on my shop, but the nearly two hour commute each way is pretty brutal. Being trapped on a rocking metal tube full of other humans saps my energy pretty damn quick.

Enough rambling, the sun is calling, time for backyard bikini basking!

Some days I just suffer from serious Fuck-It-itis. Today is one of those days. Days I spend together at home with my boyfriend are always harder. He is a snacker par excellence. I didn't actually stray as far as food types and caloric content, but timing, the timing was all fucked up. Big ass breakfast later than I would have liked, ate some cherries while grocery shopping a few hours later, instead of either settling on a late lunch or an early dinner we ended up on the couch and I ate the bejesus out of olives and goat cheese, and goats milk. Just craving salt and.. uh.. goat? Hah, whatever. So yeah, today, bit of a fail, but really, overall, not too bad. I still get to go to bed around 10:30 and don't have to wake up til after 8. I have a hard time sleeping well on the weekends because the boyfriend is a bloody maniac who lives (but mind you, definitely does not thrive) on 5 hours of sleep, and can't either go to bed early with me or let me sleep in in the morning. ...We're separating, and I feel a bit traitorous when I think about how nice it will be to not get woken constantly midnight, when he comes to bed, or 5-6am, when he gets up. Sure, I'll miss him , and I always prefer to sleep with him, but if I could drug him til he slept 8 full hours.. Uh, well, anyway.. Maybe we wouldn't be taking this break.

Okay, no, it's not just the sleep, but damn, it has it been driving me crazy for four and a half years.

Woo, just finished reading through that giant leptin thread. That's a lot of info to digest. Nevermind Dr Kruse's blog posts! The density! Still, fascinting stuff. I'll definitely make time to read more. It's not shocking info, I've been figuring out that all of my big bag of wacky health problems are so interconnected, there's some serious chicken v. egg going on. Well, no, maybe not. It's probably all traceable back to my grandmother, who lived on sanka and sweet & low and smoked throughout her pregnancy with my mother, and died of 15 kinds of cancer. Thank god my mom was a huge hippy who had us all at home, breast fed for years (well, not me, apparently I quit on my own at 9 months, damn it! Bad call, kid!), and ate real food. So, there's hope for me, and hope for my kids yet to be. I'm going to spend a couple of years getting my body into great order before I even do that. And that's the kind of intense commitment I want out of a partner. And that's probably one of the reasons why I fear this relationship is ending.

Ah, sorry, back to that again. It's the one down point in an otherwise increasingly excellent life now. Well enough picking at those scabs! Tomorrow is tomorrow, back on track and all!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast