Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peleo on a budget page

Ravenscpf is offline Junior Member

Peleo on a budget

I'm rather new to the Paleo scene and I am looking for some advice. I'm sure this question has been posed a few times on this forum already, so I apologize for repeating. I'm curious what some of you are doing to keep the cost down when grocery shopping. My wife and I go to BJ's Wholesale club and get most of our produce and proteins, so beyond buying in bulk do any of you have any other suggestions? I have read a lot online, but thought i might ask the question direct to see what real Paleo people are doing.

Thank you

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I take advantage of farmer's markets and roadside produce stands whenever possible. In my city, there are several big and popular farmer's markets where prices tend to run higher than normal because it's the "cool" thing to shop at the farmer's market. However, my city is big enough that there are also some small neighborhood farmer's markets where prices are so much better. And I've also identified several nearby produce stands where prices are good too -- of course that's in the spring, summer and fall. Right now, in the winter the fresh, local produce is harder to come by.

I also check the close-out section of the meat case and find mark-downs that are fine as long as I cook them right away or put them in the freezer. I also tend to buy cheaper cuts of meat whenever possible and braise for tenderness or cook in the crock pot. And we eat a fair share of canned salmon & tuna.

I have a family member with a small flock of chickens, and she often gives us eggs when she has too many. These are like gold! And I have another family member who hunts and will sometimes give us some elk after a successful trip.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    I stock up on grassfed ground beef from one of my local-ish farmers who delivers to the city. Ends up being only $4.25/lb which is less than the CAFO beef from the grocery store. I use it in all kinds of things like chili, curries, meatza, meatballs, meat loaf, hamburger soup. It makes it pretty easy to be frugal; and save the steaks for a special evening. Eggs are great and inexpensive for their nutritional punch. I'll make a big egg/sausage/veg frittata thing and eat it all week. I'm big on cooking in bulk so I have lots of leftovers to bring with me to work for lunch. But then again, I'm kina like Elvis and can eat the same thing for a week. Might not work for everyone.

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    I'd be interested to know the recipe for hamburger soup!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    One trick for the farmers' market is to show up in the last 1/2 hour. Lots of stands are marking stuff down, at least at mine.

Ravenscpf is offline Junior Member
    If I could ask another question...I try to eat close to 6 times a day, with having my typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a snack inbetween. Are you eating 3x daily or how does your daily intake break down? By the way my snacks are anything from an apple with a handful of raw mixed nuts or most times a piece of chicken breast with about 1/2 cup of broccoli, 1/2 c diced red bell pepper and 1/2 cup baby carrots. The later leads to me eating 2 pieces of chicken a day and we always buy the Harvestfarm chicken from BJ's that comes in a box of like 6-8 pieces. So that might explain some of why my grocery bills are high because I roll through chicken in a short time.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenscpf View Post
    If I could ask another question...I try to eat close to 6 times a day, with having my typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a snack inbetween. Are you eating 3x daily or how does your daily intake break down? By the way my snacks are anything from an apple with a handful of raw mixed nuts or most times a piece of chicken breast with about 1/2 cup of broccoli, 1/2 c diced red bell pepper and 1/2 cup baby carrots. The later leads to me eating 2 pieces of chicken a day and we always buy the Harvestfarm chicken from BJ's that comes in a box of like 6-8 pieces. So that might explain some of why my grocery bills are high because I roll through chicken in a short time.
    Eat more fat, keeps you fuller for longer.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    Hamburger Soup

1-2 lb. Ground Beef
    1 Onion - Diced
    1 C. diced carrots
    1 C. diced celery
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    4-5 C. Beef stock
    1 can diced tomatoes (BPA free or glass jar if at all possible)
    2 T. Worchestershire sauce
    1 t. hot sauceSalt & Pepper to taste

Brown the beef, chuck in the veggies and let them soften a bit. Then add the broth and tomatoes and sauces and let simmer until delicious.
    Last edited by TriCiCi; 02-03-2011 at 03:28 PM.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried chicken thighs instead, or roasting whole chickens? That's usually cheaper than the breast meat. I like the taste of the dark meat better, too. It's not as dry.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I tend to do most of my shopping at the local health food store, which can be a bit pricey. So I supplement by buying certain items from the big supermarket that don't need to be organic or "best" quality. All my greens need to be organic, and I think its worth the extra $ for the flavor. But things like avocados are pricey enough as it is and can be peeled, which cuts down on the pesticides etc. I buy good game meat at the farmers market in bulk and freeze it in portion sizes so I can take one out the night before and its ready to go by dinner time. If Im really strapped I go for the conventionally raised meats but I go for super lean cuts like flank steak or turkey breast.
    To me, the extra $ for really high quality food pays for itself in a reduction of doctor visits and in higher energy which allows me to get more done. At least that's how I justify it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast