Thread: Seeking Probiotics Recommendation for Those Suffering from Constipation (Dysbiosis) page

choppedliver is offline Senior Member

Seeking Probiotics Recommendation for Those Suffering from Constipation (Dysbiosis)

Primal Fuel
    I started a low-carb diet 14 months ago and switched over to Paleo about 4 months ago. I've been suffering from constipation for the duration of my diet.

At Mark's recommendation, I recently read Konstantin Monastyrsky's "Fiber Menace." Based on this book and my research and "self-diagnosis", I've concluded that my constipation stems from "acute dysbiosis" (aka debacteriosis, disbacteriosis, dysbacteriosis). My gut flora, in other words, has been stripped of good bacteria. I can't remember when I last had a normal BM: it used to be every other BM but now, my BM is Bristol Stool Chart Type 1, exclusively, just about, driven primarily by lack of mucosal moisture in the colon.

I've tried the usual suspects: (1) OTC laxatives (Citrucel, Miralax, Metamucil, MoM, mineral oil) ; (2) supplements (magnesium, fiber); (3) tea, senna; (4) Brazil nuts, sugar alcohol; (5) more water; and (6) a colonoscopy. No help. And in the case of fiber and more water, actually it was probably the worst advice I ever took.

The two things I haven't tried are probiotics and digestive enzymes (will try this after probiotics). Anyone doing Paleo with experience in probiotics specifically designed for constipation (i.e., dysbiosis)? I've read some good Amazon reviews on the following products: (1) Align Digestive Care Probiotic Supplement; (2) Dr. Ohhira's - Probiotics 12 Plus Original Formula; (3) Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Ultimate Probiotics Formula; and (4) Acidophilus Pearls Enzymatic Therapy. There is also Swanson's Singature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula and Konstantin Monastyrsky's own AGELESS ENTEROPHILUS. How does Mark's own probiotic (Primal Flora) stack up with these?

More importantly, any particular probiotics designed for dysbiosis or constipation? Which particular bacterial strain would be effective (to reintroduce mucosal moisture)? I've been reading that a probiotic with 25 billion Lactobacillus Acidpphilus or Bifidobacterium Lactis are good but would that work in my case?

I'm not seeking any digestive relief other than being rid of constipation at this point. I'm also looking into getting a yogurt machine to make my own yogurt and other fermented beverages such as Kombucha and Kefir. But down the road, after I've given shelf-ready probiotics a try.

dlmtv is offline Junior Member
    I would also like to see an asnwer to this. I also suffer from constipation, and I find most people say that regularity is unecessary when eating primal but I do feel much better and less bloated after a good bowel movement. I played around with probiotics, acidophilus, but didn't react well as they contained dairy and I never have good reactions to dairy, makes things 10x worse. I have just recently been experimenting with raw sauerkraut, its delicious (make sure you buy it from the fridge and unpasteurized). Will have to assess things in a few weeks. I am more concerned about the amount of bloating I have, right now I take HCL supplement, but thinking digestive enzymes might help.

nycgirl is offline Junior Member
    I would also be interested in an answer to the question re: probiotics. Specifically, does anyone have any feedback on Enterophilus (Probiotic Acidophilus) which is sold on Konstantin Monastyrsky's website? thanks

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm doing the GAPS diet right now to relieve some of my gut dysbiosis symptoms. Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, who developed the diet, recommeds Bio-Kult probiotic. She also recommends just eating a lot of probiotic foods, and to go for higher fat content and lower protein content. I'm dealing with constipation myself right now, so I made a batch of homemade yogurt using half & half instead of whole milk. Dr. McBride actually recommends using cream. I find my constipation is worse when I'm eating a lot of muscle meat and less fat, so you might try upping your fat intake and see if that helps.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.