Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stories from people who have been overweight all their life? page

melsie is offline Junior Member

Stories from people who have been overweight all their life?

Shop Now
    Hi All,

I am just looking for some encouraging stories. I have read a lot of posts on the forum and I noticed it seems like a lot of people went from lean to leaner (is that a word?) or were normal thin people until they got older then were overweight and lost their weight... can I get some words of wisdom from people who have been overweight all of their lives (like were always the chubby kid/fat teenager/etc) who have found success with eating primal/PB?

I've been overweight since I was about 8 years old and am trying to convince myself that this isn't my lot in life. I want to be 'cut' and lean and all that.. but sometimes I just feel like I lost the genetic/metabolism/lucky lottery. I am still trying very hard to follow PB and adapt my life to it - its just such a struggle to lose the weight and keep high spirits sometimes when all I have ever been is overweight and trying hard to lose it. I hate to think that people look at me and think "put down the twinkie" when all I eat is organic/fresh/healthy, just frustrating sometimes :P

Thanks so much in advance,
    M

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I was always the chubby kid. Lovehandles, pudgy belly and man boobs were my lot in life. I decided to do something about it when I got to be 280lbs. I started chronic cardio and changed my diet. I lost a lot of weight this way but was killing myself to do it. I found the PB and got leaner then I ever thought I could. I have lost a total of 100lbs and still losing in ~2 years. The last year has been slow for weight loss but big for body recomposition. I am maintaing my weight but losing inches. You need to have patience. It will take a few years to reverse the damage you have done to your body. I know after all this time I am finally starting to see the 6-pack which I have never seen in my entire life. The love handles are finally starting to melt off too. With the PB I have seen the largest gains with the lowest effort.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Eating this way (first strict Atkins low-carb, staying in ketosis with very little of the processed crap - so it's not that different from Primal, and now Primal) is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me. Every time I try to go back to more of a conventional way of eating it eventually bites me in the ass (which grows bigger!).

I was a little chubby as a kid, more chubby as a teenager, and got into the truly obese range as a young adult, till I found myself at 352 lbs at age 32. I dropped 130 lbs on Atkins (plus moderate exercise), then I loosened up and eventually found myself back to a more conventional way of eating, with all the cravings and binges that it triggers. After being down as low as 220, I've bounced around in the 240-270 range for a few years. For me, having strict rules about what I do and don't eat works best for me. I'm able to tolerate minor indulgences, but they have to be few and far between and only after I've been on a consistent streak of eating Primal.

I was around 265 last summer and dropped 20 lbs between July and October eating almost exclusively Primal; then I injured myself and turned to my comfort foods and put most of that weight back on. Re-primalized at the beginning of January and I'm down about 11 lbs now. I've also worked with a personal trainer for about 2 years doing Primal-type workouts and he's helped me to reshape my fitness.

I'm over the idea that I'll ever be skinny, and I doubt that I'll ever be "lean" or "cut." My body frame is such that I'm always going to be a solidly built person, but I know I have a lot more potential to be stronger and healthier and lighter and that's my goal. As long as my body allows me to do all the things I want to do and achieve all of my potential ... I'm cool with not being a skinny little thing.

So we lifetime fatties are here. I have no idea what it's like to be skinny; never been there.
    Last edited by ennasirk; 02-03-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

melsie is offline Junior Member
    MightyAl,

Thanks so much for your story, that's an amazing loss and quite the inspiration!! It must be like.. reinventing yourself a little bit huh?

Being a fat kid was so hard. I'm afraid thats one thing that I might never be able to 'lose'.. the stuff people said to me when I was growing up... even parents were hard on me .. the tough love. I don't know if you got picked on as a child/teenager - if you did, Have you managed to get those things out of your head? I think because it was SUCH an impressionable time that the insults/comments/taunts are some how ingrained in my psyche. :P

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i've been overweight for as long as i can remember...always a bit rounder than the other kids i interacted with. in my pre-teen years i didn't really notice it at all, though photos have proved it true. but, as i got into those early teen years i started to notice a distinct difference between myself and most others. i wasn't grotesquely overweight--i always played sports, swam, ran around, etc--but i was definitely a fat kid. i remember, in fact, playing basketball with a few friends and some others i didn't know all that well. it was an outdoor court, and while running after the ball with someone from the opposing team, i heard someone yell "don't let fatty get it." Now, i knew i was fatter, but that one phrase made every less obvious comment from before come to light, and every comment that came after sting a little bit more.
    i was certain that my weight wasn't my fault. it was a family thing. my mom was overweight, and my sister was even fatter than i was. my brother (technically half brother) wasn't as big, so i figured 'different genes, different weight.'
    all through junior high school and high school i was fat. i lost a little weight at certain times, but held a pretty firm no-taking-my-shirt-off-ever rule. then i balooned even more after high school and throughout college...despite trying to diet, exercise and all that. it wasn't until my 30th birthday when i made a real decision to get things under control.

now, people don't believe me when i say i used to weight 350. i keep pictures of the old me just for proof and as a reminder. i lost a lot of weight unhealthily with weight watchers, but being primal is really what has brought me to where i am now...my wife loses me in the grocery store. i am an entirely new person.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    My pudge started in 4th or 5th grade. I got real fat after high school, prolly 3 bills but I never got on a scale. Got a job as a letter carrier and they ran 100+ pounds off of me in a year. Put it back on slowly as the assignments got easier. Was back up to 265 at 33, 52" waist (I'm only 5'6" tall), went veg/vegan for 6/8 years, got skinny at one point but felt unhealthy which is something I never had felt. I had settled in at 210-215 and given my past was happy with it but blood pressure issues started to scare me.

I've never been on a diet per se but have looked to change baseline habits. More recently I had gone the whole foods route, baking from scratch etc but the weight was not budging really. I was walking an hour a day and assumed I would have to become some sort of a gym rat, which I hate, in order to get down to a sustainable weight.

Well, mid October 2010 and Primal and wow. Just wow. 6-7 inches of my waist, I mean 2 notches on my watch band, the weight has been falling off at a consistent 1-1 1/2 #s a week without any real effort on my part. My whole body comp is changing as well. Someone commented the other day about how healthy I look and I see a coloration, like a slight tan, in Boston in the dead of winter.

There is a moral judgement imposed by others on fat people, no doubt, as if being fat is a personal failing. I have to say I was in agreement and self-judged as well. But it's all bullshit. I'm not looking at primal/paleo in the quasi-cult like way that I sometimes see here but it works and is sustainable and is delicious and what else can I say.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Lifelong fat kid chiming in here. It's both validating and embarrassing when people make a big deal out of how much weight I've lost. They always ask me, "Have you been exercising a lot??" which makes me think that they think that I was so fat because I never exercised. I can also feel some people still judge me when I snack on things during social occasions and they're not doing the same and have been thin/fit/active their whole lives. I just make sure to never let those people know how vulnerable I feel when it comes to my weight... the only people I talk to about it are my mother and my other fat kid friends, LOL. People who haven't been fat throughout childhood and adolescence really just will not understand.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    It's both validating and embarrassing when people make a big deal out of how much weight I've lost.
    It's a complement I'm sensitive about giving because the flip side is, of course, you were one fat bastard.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    It's a complement I'm sensitive about giving because the flip side is, of course, you were one fat bastard.
    I remember when I lost 125 lbs and one of my friends who I hadn't seen in a long time (she'd been living abroad) saw me. She didn't say anything at first about my weight loss, but she pulled me aside later in the evening and told me how much she was struggling with how to compliment me on my weight loss. I really appreciated that sensitivity, especially since she was someone who hadn't ever struggled with her weight.

Of course, I recall another time where a friend overheard me talking to another friend about my weight loss (at the time it was about 100 lbs) and he said "Wait, what?" He'd seen me multiple times during my weight loss and I said "Really? You didn't notice at all?" He said "I don't really think about that - you're just the same you that we know and love." For someone who's always felt that even my friends, even the people who loved me, were still judging me when I was morbidly obese, that was oddly refreshing to hear.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

denise is offline Senior Member
    I was 7 stone (98lb) at 7, 8 (112lb) stone at 8 , and by the time I was in my twenties I was a good 13 (182lb) stone. I then reached 17 stone (238lb) before I finally began to lose weight. I did it the CW way i'm afraid. Didn't know any better. 10 years later I was 84lb lighter. Quick eh? And what a struggle. Over the next 4 years I managed another 24lbs and I won't go into too much detail about what i had to do to manage that. Chronic cardio?? Talking 4+ hours a day EVERY day for those 4 years!!! Perfected an eating disorder that ruled my life. Made myself physically and mentally quite poorly. But, people were fascinated by my losses, I still saw a fat person in the mirror and continued to battle myself but they said "wow, how have you done it" and it felt good! I kept going - somehow. Even when people told me I was too thin!!!!!! Even when I saw myself in photos and thought "not attractive". It couldn't last, it didn't and following an injury I gained some weight back and became very depressed. A friend told me about Primal - after a few "experimental attempts," I committed to it last November.

Am I "cured" now by PB?? No of course not - well, not yet anyway. BUT I haven't purged for over 2 months (downright miraculous when you have been doing it 10 times a day), I haven't eaten as much rubbish - in fact by previous standards I haven't eaten any, I feel more "stable". My exercise is down to 2 hours 5 days a week - and its within primal limits and much more enjoyable (though I miss knowing I run 10k every day psychologically somehow)

I still see an huge blob in the mirror. I have put some weight back on - and it bothers me. People will have noticed - though they don't say anything - and that bothers me too. You never lose the fat kid in my opinion. I know I could easily be 17 stone again - by the summer I reckon. I am a fat storing machine!!! (When I broke some ribs and really COULD NOT exercise - I gained 14lbs...... in 14 days. Without even trying!!!!!)

BUT, my past makes me who I am, the bits I value as well as the myriad of things I don't. I am me. I sometimes quite like me. I am never going to look in the mirror and like what I see - but I am working on tolerating it. Meanwhile I am also working on nourishing myself, getting slim healthily if I can.

I don't even know if this is an answer to your post. It feels a bit rambling to me. Theres a lot of "stuff" tied up in my answer. I hope its interesting for you at some level.

There are a LOT of people on here battling weight. Some have a lot to lose, others less. Some of us may seem to be in the "lean and trying to get leaner" bracket - but let me tell you, we may still have the fat mentality. The fat kid inside.

I hope Primal proves to be what you are looking for. I'm "sold" that its the healthy way to eat for life. I wish you success!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast