Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Paleo - Question about Ketosis? page

littlemiss995 is offline Junior Member

New to Paleo - Question about Ketosis?

Shop Now
    Hello everyone! I just became a member of this site after living Paleo for 3 weeks. I've lost 7 lbs. I've been eating eggs, beef, bacon, salmon, venison, duck, chicken, various veggies (with an occasional sweet potato), some fruit, a few nuts, 70% dark chocolate, olive oil, and butter.

A typical day during the week would be this:
    -Activia yogurt for breakfast around 8:00 am
    -salmon with asparagus or eggs with veggies for dinner
    -small piece of chocolate or serving of coconut milk "frozen dessert"
    -40-60 fl oz water

During the week, the water keeps me full between breakfast and dinner... I'm not usually hungry until around 3-4:00, and I'll have dinner between 5:30-6:30. Also, when I eat dinner I like to eat a lot of food, so trust me, although it sounds like I'm not eating enough, I am!

I work a desk job during the day and am relatively sedentary throughout the rest of the week. I'm really trying to push myself to move more!

Now on to my question: I'm going to buy Ketostix tomorrow and test to see if I'm in ketosis. I was wondering, if I am, should I strive to stay that way? If I'm not, what can I do to become so?
    21 y/o, 5'5.5"
    Highest Weight - 176 lbs
    Current Weight - 169 lbs
    Goal Weight - 145-150 lbs

If we're not willing to settle for junk living, we certainly shouldn't settle for junk food.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    From my reading here it seems ketosis works for some and not for others. Some eat very low carbs and do great, others say that if they are not in the 100-150 range for carbs they do not lose weight. I think it all depends on your body and no one answer fits all. If you are not in ketosis and want to be then the way I understand it is that you cut carbs. I'd run your food through an online calculator to see where you are carb wise and once you see if you are in ketosis or not post your food break down (carbs, fat etc) and get advice then.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Why do you want to be in ketosis?

Grizz

littlemiss995 is offline Junior Member
    I thought you're supposed to be in ketosis for your body to use fat for energy?
    21 y/o, 5'5.5"
    Highest Weight - 176 lbs
    Current Weight - 169 lbs
    Goal Weight - 145-150 lbs

If we're not willing to settle for junk living, we certainly shouldn't settle for junk food.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    My god, ketosis aside you are eating almost NOTHING. That must be way under 1,000 calories. Don't.

And why Activia yogurt?? Low fat, low cal, full of added sugar, isn't it? Greek yogurt (full fat if you can find it, though I can't always) is vastly better foryou.

Have you read The Primal Blueprint, or any well-informed book on primal/paleo eating? You seem to be making up what you think it is. That ends up being what some folks call the Faileo diet.

nopie is offline Senior Member
    I try to stay in ketosis, but yeah I like my steak, bacon and veggies. I'd say try to cut out the chocolate and yogurt and eat higher fat more satisfying things in their place. My issue is when I have a leeeetle bit of sugar it wakes up my inner sugar fiend and before I know it I'm slamming lara bars and it wrecks everything. LOL. I'm not saying go no carb, you can experiment to see how much you can handle and stay in ketosis or losing weight... but for me sugar kills any weight loss so I get my carbs in the form of veggies for the most part.

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    +2
    you are starving yrself - my 6 yr old eats more than that
    - nowhere near enuff fat either

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    If your trying to lose weight, just keep the carbs below 150 a day (use Fitday to calculate) Aim for 100. I would lose the sweet potatoes and only add them in once you have lost the weight, then if you increase your training load to increase muscle, you can have them post workout. I would also cut down on the fruit too. I believe that your eating enough for your activity level, but if weight lose is your goal I would add some kind of weight training or at least a good long walk everyday.
    I highly recommend reading the Primal Blueprint if your serious, better yet, read a bunch of books, Robb Wolf's is pretty good too.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieProf View Post
    And why Activia yogurt?? Low fat, low cal, full of added sugar, isn't it? Greek yogurt (full fat if you can find it, though I can't always) is vastly better foryou.
    I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that Activia didn't have any unique probiotic properties, either. Basically it has the same probiotics found in any yogurt with live cultures.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Another vote to ditch the Activia. Those commercials make me want to throw a chair through my TV. Ugh. Take something that could be healthy - yogurt - and take all the fat out and add in a bunch of sugar. WTF.

It also seems to me like you aren't eating very much.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast