Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rendering Your Own Lard page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

It was so difficult to get non-hydrogenated lard that I decided to render my own, so I bought 1.5 pounds of pig fat (they actually sell it)

This is how I read it should be done:

- Cut the fat in small pieces

- Boil the fat pieces in water for about an hour at low fire, stirring every 10 secs

- After an hour you should hear some crackling

- stir more often now

- Once the little pieces of remaining meat start to sink, the lard is rendered

- Separate the fat from the water underneath and store it in the fridge.

This is how I ended up doing it:

- The pieces of fat took forever to "melt", and didn't hear any crackling.

- I figured I'd increase the surface area to accelerate the process, so I blended the whole thing.

- Left it to boil for like 30 mins

- After a bit of boiling, I had a big layer of fat floating on the pot.

- I separated the lard.

Now, this is what I learned:

- If you blend the fat, it's more difficult to separate it from the liquid below and blended non-fat after the rendering. I lost a bit of lard because of that.

- Boiling pig fat makes your kitchen smell like evil. EVIL. Be warned.

Anyway, I poured the yellowish fat on a plastic pot and stored it in the fridge

Today I found that the lard was snow white and had no smell whatsoever. It was solid, but soft enough to very easily scoop off a bit off the pot. I got almost a pint of lard out of 1.5lbs of pork fat ($2).

I cooked with it today and it was incredible. Way tastier than butter, way healthier, and way way cheaper.

I'm never cooking with butter again.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Curiousfarmer Guest

Way to go, SS! You are da grokkiest!

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Was it by chance (hopefully) grass fed? Otherwise I hate to say you're getting a bunch of toxins in the fat if it wasn't.

I soooo want some lard. I'd either make it or buy it, but to buy it around here- it's kinda too late. The pigs are typically slaughtered in the fall. I'll have to wait! Drat.

Enjoy your lard!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I doubt the lard comes from grass-fed pigs. I am not sure if a grass-fed pig would give ideal meat and fat though, because they are omnivores. But I'm pretty sure they feed them with crap anyway.

And here is where my eternal inner-conflict comes to life: organic butter or potentially inorganic lard? Which is the lesser evil? I'm hoping that, in this case, the potentially inorganic pig lard is...

Here are some pics showing it's colour and texture:

http://tinyurl.com/r7qdro

http://tinyurl.com/r53h26

http://tinyurl.com/q32avk

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Gorgeous lard!

Hmmm.. didn't even consider the omnivore angle. Yah, you're right.

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

Don't give up the butter altogether; pastured butter has CLA and Vitamin K2.

And A

Anonymous Guest

i bought some lard yesterday at the farmer's market. they have a piece of paper that they gave with it that says they can't ship rendered lard over state lines due to FDA regulations.

I imagine people were doing bad things with lard at one point in time to cause the regulation, but it's kind of annoying now.

I did some research on raw milk and it's regulations this morning - apparently in the 1800's, every city had their dairys and since the people running them wanted to make their product as cheap as possible, they'd feed the cows trash. Which would cause people to get sick from the milk. I imagine similar things happened with lard.

Miriam Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks SerialSinner, I was actually dreaming about rendering Lard last night! I’m going to my butcher and ask for some pig fat, the pork products they sell are from down south here and even though are grain feed are also free-range and it’s a small supplier so hopefully the pigs are happy pigs (which equals better meat!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast