Thread: Final Project page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Final Project

Shop Now
    Hello all...

I am trying to figure out a way to do my final project based on Primal eating. I have to design a health and wellness program. I am wondering if the target population could be obese adults and the plan could be to educate them on the dangers of having grains/sugar in their diet. Do you think I could pull it off? Any suggestions/resources? I would love some input if you have any! Thank you!!

Project Instructions:

Part A: Design a program for a health and wellness program for a multi-culturally and economically diverse population in a community-based setting. Include these components in the program design:

Clearly identify the components of a comprehensive health and wellness program for this type of population, with examples

Will the program be short-term or long-term, or open-ended depending on the goals and objectives of the program?

What instruments will you use to measure the outcomes of the program?

Who are the key constituents (stakeholders) that will be involved in the design of this particular program?

How will you seek funding for your program?

Include a socio-economic and multi-cultural perspective that draws from existing national, regional or local programs

Describe the administrative tasks, functions in the design and administration process

Planning steps (1-15) included as outlined in Chapter 4 to incorporate the above information.

Part B: Create a health wellness program for a private corporation (workplace) that meets the stated requirements described above.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the primal leap kit is probably adaptable to just about any audience. you might want to take a peek through those materials, and a quick read through the friday blog posts through the primal challenge this past fall...lots of info about someone who got people moving on a more primal path.

is obese adults too broad for a target audience? i wonder if you should narrow that down at all...maybe focus on a more specifically titled group (even if they are the same people) such as people at risk for diabetes. i think primal works for everyone, but it is especially good for those people who are at risk for or suffering from diseases like diabetes or heart problems or arthritis. narrowing your target field might also make it easier to craft a program from your project.

That is a good point... narrowing down the target population would help. Thanks!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I think you could pull it off and it would be a very interesting read. That said, since you have to hit on every progressive educator's favorite memes - multiculturalism and socio-economic factors I'd make sure to include sections of differing body types among ethnic groups (do some have naturally higher BF %s, at risk of different diseases affected by food choices - high BP etc) and how the primal diet can be adjusted to fit different socio-economic levels (not everyone can afford grassfed meat/organic produce) and different cultural diets/dishes

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I think you could pull it off and it would be a very interesting read. That said, since you have to hit on every progressive educator's favorite memes - multiculturalism and socio-economic factors I'd make sure to include sections of differing body types among ethnic groups (do some have naturally higher BF %s, at risk of different diseases affected by food choices - high BP etc) and how the primal diet can be adjusted to fit different socio-economic levels (not everyone can afford grassfed meat/organic produce) and different cultural diets/dishes
    Good point... primal eating can definitely be tailored to different cultures and different socio-economic levels.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Also, when you're dealing with cultural diversity, it's good to be sensitive to food traditions. Part of the education could be teaching people how to adapt their traditional favorites towards primal eating and encouraging them to be creative and improvise their own adaptations.

Paleobird Guest
    You might want to take a look at TAWFunGuy's journal. He has had some success getting through to the doctors in his local VA hospital who have seen his Type II diabetes disappear completely. Perhaps a group a veterans with diabetes might be a defined enough population for the purposes of your study.

PrimalCon New York
    I think my target population is going to be those with metabolic syndrome. Thanks for all the suggestions!