Thread: Coconut oil: amazing...and perplexing? page

bwr827 is offline Member

Coconut oil: amazing...and perplexing?

Shop Now
    I'm in my third-ish week of primal living, and recently picked up some organic coconut oil for the first time. When I opened the jar and took in the aroma, I couldn't believe it! It smells so good! And sweet!

What I don't understand is how can it smell so sweet and yet not taste sweet at all? I do enjoy the subtle coconut flavour it imparts to eggs and chicken when I cook with it, but I keep taking huge whiffs every time I open the jar and I can't get over how deliciously sweet and coconut-y it smells.

Is there an explanation for this?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    It's a miracle invented by golden unicorns. Don't question it.
    Last edited by dragonmamma; 02-03-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: grammar

fufonzo is offline Senior Member
    Yes. I feel the same way every time I use it, haha.

What's nice is if you add some sweetness to whatever you cook with the coconut oil, the coconut taste seems to come out a bit stronger.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I think we just associate coconut aroma with sweet. We are used to tasting sweet coconutty flavors, not savory ones.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    We associate certain smells with sweetness because sweet tasting things usually have certain sweet-smelling phenolic compounds. One of the compounds found in coconut, coumarin, has a sweet smell (and coumarin is used in perfumes):
    http://www.mendeley.com/research/ant...n-coconut-oil/

Perfume and scented candles can smell sweet, too (but they sure doesn't taste sweet!!) On the other hand, something like durian fruit tastes sweet, but it sure doesn't smell sweet (think gas leak, LOL!)

bwr827 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    We associate certain smells with sweetness because sweet tasting things usually have certain sweet-smelling phenolic compounds. One of the compounds found in coconut, coumarin, has a sweet smell (and coumarin is used in perfumes):
    http://www.mendeley.com/research/ant...n-coconut-oil/

Perfume and scented candles can smell sweet, too (but they sure doesn't taste sweet!!) On the other hand, something like durian fruit tastes sweet, but it sure doesn't smell sweet (think gas leak, LOL!)
    Very interesting! So you're sure it's not the golden unicorns?

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwr827 View Post
    Very interesting! So you're sure it's not the golden unicorns?
    I'm pretty sure, although they do have fantastical abilities

lolov is offline Senior Member

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwr827 View Post
    I'm in my third-ish week of primal living, and recently picked up some organic coconut oil for the first time. When I opened the jar and took in the aroma, I couldn't believe it! It smells so good! And sweet!

What I don't understand is how can it smell so sweet and yet not taste sweet at all? I do enjoy the subtle coconut flavour it imparts to eggs and chicken when I cook with it, but I keep taking huge whiffs every time I open the jar and I can't get over how deliciously sweet and coconut-y it smells.

Is there an explanation for this?
    Exactly what I feel: today I received Nutiva's coconut oil from iHerb, I opened it and it smelled so good... then I eat it or put it on food and nothing... no special taste or anything. On the other hand I ate half a bottle of almond butter raw and some more on my lamb breasts and that felt amazing... I can't get enough of almond butter... that's why I'm restricting it to a couple of days per week.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolov View Post
    Is it wrong of me to want to put that on the counter and see how long it takes before the kids read the label?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly