Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should I add more fat? page

David_DC is offline Senior Member

should I add more fat?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

Originally posted this in my journal but on the advice of another member I figured I would post here and see if I can get some thoughts.

This has been my almost daily meal plan for the almost 4 weeks ive been primal. Ive had bacon cheeseburgers with oopsie bread a few nights, and paleo pizza on another night and a few apples and bananas thrown in there. Wonder what everyone thinks? Any suggestions? Remember I'm trying to lose weight.

B: 2 egg omelette cooked in bacon grease filled with diced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and a small bit of shredded cheddar. 3 slices of bacon, small handful of pistachios

L: big ass salad. 2 cups or more of romaine lettuce consisting of one chopped up hard boiled egg, 2 oz of mushrooms, 2 oz of chopped up cherry tomatoes, 3 oz of chopped chicken breast, a few chopped olives, 2 tablespoons full of vinegar and olive oil dressing.

D: 2 tilapia fillets or steak, either baked or pan fried in either bacon grease, olive oil, or coconut oil. I switch up the oil on a bi daily basis for different flavor. Tonight it was steak baked with olive oil, and half an avocado for after dinner snack.

For snacks i usually eat 4 baby carrots ( 8 total) and small handful of almonds twice a day or a teaspoonful,of almond butter.

For drinking I sometimes have a cup of black coffee in the morning and water almost every time else.

Anything I should add or cut back on?

Thanks so much! This forum has been so great and informative.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Those handfuls of almonds could retard your progress, depending on what a "handful" amounts to. Otherwise, it looks good to me. The question is whether you feel satiated after eating, and how much exercise/daily movement you're doing.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Handful may be overstating. more like 15 almonds total? but I do also have a spoonful of almond butter (teaspoon) every other day on top of that.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    He's right, nuts do pack a big punch. Why do you think you need to increase your fat consumption? Protein is the building block that we all need to maintain our muscles and organs. After that we need enough fat or carbs to fuel for fuel. Increasing your fat intake will count against the calorie deficit that you need for weight loss.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    To be fair...because everyone is quick to jump on almonds, there is just as much carb in the baby carrots as the almonds and the almonds have some good nutrients in there and tend to be satiating. For me baby carrots are the harbinger of doom...they make me hungry unless they are in a BAS

How do you feel? If you are satisfied then wait a couple weeks and see where your weight is going. Patience is key because it takes your body a few weeks to adapt to any changes you make and if you are always changing its hard to figure out what really does the trick.

I'm guessing I eat more calories than you do and I am losing about a pound a week (after the initial whoosh) but I also (shhhhhh....) am pretty non-primal with my exercise and might do a WEE bit more than prescribed.
    Last edited by runnergal; 02-03-2011 at 07:52 AM.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Thanks again for all the input. I was asking about adding more fat because that seems to be the main gospel here. I wasn't thinking insane amounts, but someone mentioned maybe thigh meat instead of breast meat, and maybe substitute tuna or salmon instead of tilapia every other time I eat fish, Maybe eat a whole avocado instead of just half type of thing.

I was thinking about cutting the fruit and nuts out every other week just to see what happens. I'm feeling good for the most part. Not hungry except from the IF's I have been doing. Once at 36 hours and the other at 24 which may be too much. I think Im going to try the 16 hr 9eat dinner than skip breakfast) and see how that holds.

beach.bum is offline Member
    I think your idea to have a whole avocado and to switch to salmon instead of tilapia is a great one. Not only will it keep you from getting bored with your food, but it'll provide more super healthy fat to your diet and keep you really satisfied!

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    To me, that's a whole lot of nuts (a lot of snacking, generally). To me a handful of almonds would be around 6 nuts. You're also eating pistachios with every breakfast? And semi-regular almond butter? I'm just wondering, why? Are you hungry, craving nuts, or is it more of a habit/pattern?

When I was starting out, I included almond butter in my avocado smoothie, and my big treat of the day was no more than three macadamia nuts. As I have upped my intake of good meat, eggs, and veggies I used to avoid (brussels sprouts, kale, etc), I simply never think to want a nut. I don't think I'll ever finish the first jar of almond butter, and I bought two more at the time! (Trying to be frugal in bulk, oh well!) The only time I eat any nuts or seeds is at the office, where I usually IF but sometimes want to crunch something (literally! lol, but I sublimate with nuts). That's about once every coupla weeks, I'd say.

My suggestions would be:
    Breakfast - eat a four-egg omelette, ditch the nuts. (Personally I'd say ditch the cheese too, but whatever.)
    Lunch - try dark meat instead of breast. It's not specifically for the fat, but for the satiety that fat brings. More fat throughout the day could help you break the habit of constant nut snacking!
    Also, is the dressing you're adding your own vinegar and olive oil, or are you buying something called olive oil and vinegar dressing? If store-bought, make sure that's not sneaking sugar and its kin into your system (again, encouraging you to want nuts/snacks several times a day).
    Dinner - Reconsider cooking in olive oil. Much info on this topic in this forum and elsewhere. More avocado!

Again, it's not the fat per se, it's the greater satiety you get with eating more healthy fats. I don't see a link to your journal so don't know your goals, but from what you say you haven't been eating primal all that long. So, don't sweat the details too much. It's normal and healthy for the weight loss to plateau out from time to time (especially if you're measuring with scales, which confounds fat loss and muscle gain).

If you decide you want to break the snack habit, when you're ready (no cravings, no flu, not a lot of social eating/drinking events on the horizon) you might try this: Add as much fat as it takes to feel completely satisfied after a meal of meat/eggs/veggies, and then Do Not Eat until you're truly Hungry again. You must be very firm with yourself on that point. Ignore the clock; ignore "meal times"; but eat (meat/eggs/veggies) only when your body feels pretty strong but normal hunger. When that pattern -- those hours and hours of not feeling hungry -- feels normal, you're golden.

Then you can adjust your menus as you like to meet your specific goals, with calorie controls or rough proportions of fat/protein/carb calories, or whatever, to build a personally well-suited eating pattern that should be super easy and low-maintenance until/unless you adjust your goals again.
    Last edited by beachrat; 02-03-2011 at 08:37 AM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

mzzmisty is offline Junior Member

I would probably cut out the apples, banannas and carrots. These are all things that tend to be higher in sugar/carbs. I would cut them out, see how it goes, and slowly assess and add back each thing into your plan one at a time to see how each affects your weight loss/body. Berries tend to be a lower sugar substitue for fruit.. Just a suggestion.. Other than that everything else looks good..

ok so a little more info might help. I'm 5'11 and currently 260 Lbs down from 276 when I first started this lifestyle almost a month ago This upcoming Sunday. My main goal is to get healthy and lose weight. If I could get down to 210 lbs I would be very ok with myself

heres my journal:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...nal-and-things

anyone know how I can add this to my signature? I tried to figure it out to no avail last night.

Wow so much to think about. I eat nuts, fruit (strictly apples and bananas) Almond butter and baby carrots because I like them and thought they were supposed to be good for you. But since I am trying to lose weight maybe I should cut them out as much as possible? Honestly I'm eating them strictly beause I thought the nuts had good fat and the carrots because its one of the few vegetables I can eat raw and actually enjoy them, NOT because I was hungry so maybe I should go without and see how that works. According to my 'lose it' app, Im keeping my carbds to around 55g a day and my sugars to 20g a day. Fat is listed as 82g, protein is at 110g

As for the dressing I'm using I have homemade at home, but store bought at work. i currently use these two.

http://www.newmansown.com/product_de...px?productid=6

and

http://www.newmansown.com/product_de...px?productid=1

As for excercise, I don't right now. Reason is I'm a shipping manager and my job keeps me quite active. Usually on my feet and moving around, Almost constantly lifting boxes with the majority of them being 18-26 Lbs each, usually end up stacking around 4- 5 pallets worth with a general number of 85 boxes per pallet. So i'm trying to keep the 'work out less' idea in place but would eventualy love to add sprints and heavy weight lifting from time to time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast