Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sudden onset of sugar cravings

sudden onset of sugar cravings

Shop Now
    Been Primal since end November. Today is Day 13 of Whole30.

I have been raving about my miraculous lack of sugar/carb cravings. Not normal for me - a real sugar addict. I have been hungry for the past couple of days, but craving fat (of all things) which I ate as coconut milk, extra fats (like duck fat)when cooking etc.

I have had "the dreams" people mention - buffets and eating and horror - and relief on waking to find it was a dream. I am not aware of any change in my weight/size - not weighing so not completely sure. (Not weighed since November). Certainly no "big drop".

Today ..... the sugar monster seems to be awakening. I walked past the bakery on my high street - and my brain threw a sugar tantrum (I've been past it several times before and sneered at the windows contents!) I had my lunch - but had to have berries as a snack this afternoon. I have just had some coconut milk. BUT images of chocolate and scoffing lots of it are there - and they haven't been. Its worrying. I hate the whole "resisting all the time' thing of CW and loved the lack of cravings on PB and Whole30.

Anyone got any theories about whats happening?? This isn't hunger.

I am not intending to give in to this - but I don't like having to fight it again after a couple of months where it just wasn't an issue??

Don't smoke crack and walk past bakeries? I keed, I keed!

I still get massive urges to buy and eat entire bags of chips. I used to be a smoker, and those junk food urges come upon me just like the need to smoke used to. It's really weird. I've caught myself putting my shoes on without thinking about it! I force myself to stop and say, out loud, "Okay, where am I going... and what the hell?!" When it comes to addictions (and foods can be and are addictive), reason can take a backseat to "impulse auto-pilot." Best thing to do is really examine what you're feeling and think of a quick way to eliminate it such that you don't have eater's remorse. If you start to rationalize, you just become a tasty morsel for the temptation monster.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Interested in what folks say about this. In my Whole30 in January around week 3 I had SUPER cravings. I have some sugar/alcohol cravings...but in general they are minor and I rarely if ever over indulge after being low carb for years. A small nib of dark chocolate is all I need to sate a sweet tooth. So I was totally floored when around week 3 I was craving things I had not had an issue with for YEARS. For example, 5 plus years 100% gluten free, I haven't thought about bread, GF or not, in years....but I wanted to eat a loaf of bread slathered in butter like NOTHING else. I never desire to buy premade GF desserts, but I found myself looking around for them specifically in the grocery store multiple times...GF cheese cakes, cupcakes, all sorts of crazy things. I was crazy minded and found myself not going out to shop just to avoid the risk that I was going to buy something.

The only thing I gave up in this whole 30 that I have not given up for that long before was dairy. I have given up sugar, alcohol, and many other things for months on end....so wondering if that was the cause or what.

Craving bread also.

I have been doing PB since 1/13/11 and my big thing was a diet coke and pretzel rolls which are as good and they sound. I fight the cravings by reminding my self that i started at 261 and presently at 252 and losing, so there is no time to step backwards. I would like everyone to know who post and answer on the forums your doing a great job at keeping us well informed. Never knew green beans would be not be on the good veggie list unless I read it here.

What do you mean green beans aren't on the good veggies list?

Here is the post

Not really. These are a legume and should be avoided. That being said, we have green beans once or twice a week at our house with no ill-effects.
    01-19-2011 06:34 AM is the time of the original post just search green beans didnt know how to link orignial post here sry.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    Interested in what folks say about this. In my Whole30 in January around week 3 I had SUPER cravings. I have some sugar/alcohol cravings...but in general they are minor and I rarely if ever over indulge after being low carb for years. A small nib of dark chocolate is all I need to sate a sweet tooth. So I was totally floored when around week 3 I was craving things I had not had an issue with for YEARS. For example, 5 plus years 100% gluten free, I haven't thought about bread, GF or not, in years....but I wanted to eat a loaf of bread slathered in butter like NOTHING else. I never desire to buy premade GF desserts, but I found myself looking around for them specifically in the grocery store multiple times...GF cheese cakes, cupcakes, all sorts of crazy things. I was crazy minded and found myself not going out to shop just to avoid the risk that I was going to buy something.

The only thing I gave up in this whole 30 that I have not given up for that long before was dairy. I have given up sugar, alcohol, and many other things for months on end....so wondering if that was the cause or what.
    sounds like the same sort of thing to me - though sugar has always been a problem for me. I struggled a lot giving up the dairy for whole30 - wonder if somehow I'd be using it as a substitute and so avoiding the "withdrawal"

Also wonder if its some sort of detox symptom - just getting it all out of me??

Whatever it is - its a pain in the .....you know.

We have imprinted in/on our brains all sorts of pleasure cues. I smoked in college, quit in mid-70s, and hadn't thought of them until a couple years ago, I suddenly started fantasizing about having a cigarette. I hate the smell, even the thought of smoking--a filthy habit, so I was vey disturbed by these thoughts. I asked a good friend who is a psychologist, and apparently these old pleasure centers can get triggered. Thankfully the urge passed in a couple weeks, but I don't expect my sugar cravings to ever be completely gone-- just harnessed.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

For myself, I've learned there's a difference between a psychological craving and a physical craving. It's hard for me to put into words the difference for me, but when I really want something I have to pause and think about whether it's my head or my body that wants whatever it is I'm craving. Usually it's my head when I really stop to think it through.

I know that sounds a bit woo-woo, but it works for me. See if you can figure this out for yourself.

Shop Now
    Some cravings for sweets are an indication of low potassium-if you've lost large amounts of water weight, this could be what's throwing you.
    Obviously, it's not the same for everyone, but might be something to consider. It's a key sign for me-when I want fruit/sweet anything-adding a few avocados usually makes it go away for a day or two usually makes it go away.