Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving 1.5 hr to Trader Joe's Saturday, what Primal food is good from there? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Driving 1.5 hr to Trader Joe's Saturday, what Primal food is good from there?

This is my second trip to TJ's ever! The first was two years ago in a state very far away. I just found out I have a TJ's 1.5 hrs from where I live, so me and the hubby are taking a day trip on Saturday. I've heard they have really good deals on all sorts of goodies. So what would you recommend? Thanks!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    The Niman's uncured bacon. My favorite bacon

I love the mashed garlic in little squares in the frozen section. I use much more garlic if I have those around. They also have basil and cilantro done the same way.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Bill_89 is offline Member
    I've made a couple of trips to Trader Joe' recently. I would highly recommend their raw almond butter. It is so delicious. Their blueberries are fantastic, too, and reasonably priced. The first batch of avocados I bought from their were amazing, but the second one was rotten--so disappointing.

My experience is that their dairy leaves a bit to be desired. Most of it is low fat. There's no full fat Greek yogurt, for example.

Their nuts are great, but expensive. Also, they have a large selection of cheap canned fish, so I'd stock up on that.

They only have one brand of coconut milk (their own), but it's light. They do have a nice selection of nitrate free bacon. I don't believe most of their meat is grass fed, though.

Overall, it is a fun store with a lot of neat things. I would say it's more vegan friendly than primal friendly, however.

chowza is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_89 View Post
    I don't believe most of their meat is grass fed, though.
    It's not, but they do carry grass-fed ground beef in 1-lb packs for pretty cheap.
    Check out my blog here.

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_89 View Post
    My experience is that their dairy leaves a bit to be desired. Most of it is low fat. There's no full fat Greek yogurt, for example.

Their nuts are great, but expensive.
    That's odd. TJs is the one place in town that I can always find full-fat greek yogurt. Their nuts are usually the cheapest around.

Different stock for different populations

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I dunno...I'm not that impressed by our TJs. It'd be great if I ate frozen dinners or prepared foods since they have a LOT of that stuff, but I eat fresh meat and veggies...pickings are pretty much the same (actually slimmer) than a regular grocery store. They do sell Kerrygold butter, which I can't necessarily get everywhere else (Whole Food sells it though).

Things I buy at TJ that I can't get anywhere else: nothing.

Our TJ only carries the 0% fat and 2% fat Fage. Whole Foods is the only place I can get the full fat stuff.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Their Kerrygold butter is fabulous and reasonably priced, as are their nuts and Niman Ranch meat products. I get their frozen grilled peppers and onions for fajitas. Also, their artichoke tapenade is super yummy and makes a great dip when mixed with mashed avocado.

Grizz is offline Banned
    TJ's has the best prices we have seen for Grapeseed Oil, less than $4 a bottle, which we use for rubbing into our feet every morning, and wide rubs it into her dry skin.

Grizz

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennf View Post
    Their Kerrygold butter is fabulous and reasonably priced, as are their nuts and Niman Ranch meat products. I get their frozen grilled peppers and onions for fajitas. Also, their artichoke tapenade is super yummy and makes a great dip when mixed with mashed avocado.
    Oh for sure, kerrygold is AWESOME! We get our butter from a local dairy that pastures their cows but in a pinch I'll pick up kerrygold...that butter is good enough to eat straight!
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I find their oils and vinegars to be much less expensive than other stores. My TJs has cheaper organic chicken than WF or other natural markets. Their organic frozen berries have 2 more ounces than WF and cost less. Nuts are cheap. And the full fat Greek yogurt is really thick, so you can use it like sour cream without any straining. I use their kefir most days in my smoothie. They have a lot of good choices of eggs too.

I second (or third) that the Nieman bacon is great. They have some raw milk cheddar which is pretty good. And the wine is a steal. Just walk past the soy milk and bread aisle. There are tons of great products that are primal.

Can you tell I like me some TJs?
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast