Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is it about dark chocolate that keeps me up at night?

Shop Now
    Look forward to hearing the results of your experiment, KG. I would have thought it was the caffeine (given you're not much of a coffee drinker), but seems you've ruled that out, so theobromine sounds like the culprit.

The only thing that keeps me wired that way is caffeine, as I don't drink coffee (well, on the few occasions that I have tried it - yikes!). The one kind of chocolate that I've really noticed kept me wide awake is some German stuff called Schokokola, which contains the triple-whammy combo of dark chocolate + coffee + cola. Lethal stuff - I believe they gave it to pilots in the Luftwaffe during WWII to keep them alert. It's delicious, but I can't have more than one piece of an evening or there goes my sleep.

I would really like to try Green & Black's coffee-flavoured chocolate, but I'm afraid it might have the same effect ...

It has the same effect on me, and it's definately the darker the choc the worse the effect.

I also have an issue with gluten contamination of chocolate I think. Most brands are cross contaminated even if it's not in the ingredients. I am super, super sensitive to gluten and that also affects my sleep.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

oooo yes, I have most definitely experienced this eating extreme dark chocolate.. more specifically the G&B (It had been on sale 2/$5) My body and mind were so tired I just could not fall asleep. If I have ingested caffeine I usually don't feel tired and don't want to go to bed. It felt like something else, theobromine. I wanted to go to bed and was soooo tired so I know it wasn't caffeine. I chocked it up to caffeine from coffee I drink every morning so I tried quitting... turns out it was probably that dark chocolate I was eating!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop Now
    It's the theobromine. It's included in the same class of compounds as caffeine, so it behave similarly in your system, but I believe it also stays in your system longer than caffeine...so when you eat a dark chocolate bar, with a high % of cocoa, you're just getting a big amount of theobromine (compared to say a nestle chocolate bar or something) which is making you jittery or awake.