Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is it about dark chocolate that keeps me up at night? page 2

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Look forward to hearing the results of your experiment, KG. I would have thought it was the caffeine (given you're not much of a coffee drinker), but seems you've ruled that out, so theobromine sounds like the culprit.

The only thing that keeps me wired that way is caffeine, as I don't drink coffee (well, on the few occasions that I have tried it - yikes!). The one kind of chocolate that I've really noticed kept me wide awake is some German stuff called Schokokola, which contains the triple-whammy combo of dark chocolate + coffee + cola. Lethal stuff - I believe they gave it to pilots in the Luftwaffe during WWII to keep them alert. It's delicious, but I can't have more than one piece of an evening or there goes my sleep.

I would really like to try Green & Black's coffee-flavoured chocolate, but I'm afraid it might have the same effect ...

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    It has the same effect on me, and it's definately the darker the choc the worse the effect.

I also have an issue with gluten contamination of chocolate I think. Most brands are cross contaminated even if it's not in the ingredients. I am super, super sensitive to gluten and that also affects my sleep.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

eltigabii is offline Member
    oooo yes, I have most definitely experienced this eating extreme dark chocolate.. more specifically the G&B (It had been on sale 2/$5) My body and mind were so tired I just could not fall asleep. If I have ingested caffeine I usually don't feel tired and don't want to go to bed. It felt like something else, theobromine. I wanted to go to bed and was soooo tired so I know it wasn't caffeine. I chocked it up to caffeine from coffee I drink every morning so I tried quitting... turns out it was probably that dark chocolate I was eating!!!!!!!!!!!

Delphi is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's the theobromine. It's included in the same class of compounds as caffeine, so it behave similarly in your system, but I believe it also stays in your system longer than caffeine...so when you eat a dark chocolate bar, with a high % of cocoa, you're just getting a big amount of theobromine (compared to say a nestle chocolate bar or something) which is making you jittery or awake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12