Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some opinions page

PRIMAL_COP is offline Junior Member

Need some opinions

Shop Now
    Forgive me if this is a little long winded but I need to lay a little back ground.. I am a Police Officer and also a defensive tactics intructor for my department. Aboiut a year and a half ago i was weighing in around 215 lbs and was teaching ground defense to our entrance level academy. At this time I was working out pretty heavy and really doing alot of chronic cardio. I had to roll with half the class for 6 minute rounds during this phase of instruction and seemed to do just fine with my endurance.

Then about a year ago I read an article about Erwin Lecorre and Movnat and the paleo diet. I was intrigued and started doing those types of workouts and eating paleo. My endurance still seemed to be ok and I trimmed down to a lean but healthy 185 lbs.

Then about 6 months ago I started reading MDA and started feeling like the Movnat I was doing might be borderline chronic cardio. I bought the Primal Blueprint and started on the primal diet and exercise program. Im religious about my sprints and have been doing regular slow movement exercise and good LHT workouts.. Part of my slow movement exercise is heavy bag work standing and ground work with a grappling dummy.

Now 2 weeks ago I again had to teach and entry level ground defense class and eventhough my strength still seemed to be ok after the first 5 minutes I was completely gassed.

I am not sure what I am missing here but I really like the concept of the Primal Blueprint and Im one of those guys that when I start a program I like to do it to the letter. So I guess my long winded question here is does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about my loss of endurance in this case.

I would greatly appreciate any input

Ok im guessing I may have put this in the wrong thread.. do i need to move it to the regular fitness thread?

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget, Primal Blueprint Fitness also mentions sport specific training. Since what you're doing goes beyond what most others are expected to do, you'll no doubt need to modify your routines.

Thank you Yaish. I had been thinking along those lines but being hard headed didnt want to stray too far from the original formula. so much of what I used to do would be considered chronic cardeo that I was a little leary and yes a little confused about how to get the best of both worlds. I still want to be able to walk and breath after I retire lol.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    You know, I haven't heard anybody here say MovNat is anything like chronic cardio. On the contrary, there are quite a few proponents and practitioners of it here. Once I'm a bit stronger, I'm looking forward to doing the most basic skills myself.

I'd say if you felt better doing MovNat, then do it. You know your body better than anybody else.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    You know, I haven't heard anybody here say MovNat is anything like chronic cardio. On the contrary, there are quite a few proponents and practitioners of it here. Once I'm a bit stronger, I'm looking forward to doing the most basic skills myself.

I'd say if you felt better doing MovNat, then do it. You know your body better than anybody else.
    TigerLily, The only reason I compared Movnat to chronic cardio is because I know that there is no way while doing it my heart rate was anywhere close to the 75 to 80 percent mark. It was always quite higher than that if it was done with running included and I was doing it about 3 times a week. Going by the Primal Blueprint standard ( unless I am understanding things wrong) would put that in or close to chronic cardio.. If im misunderstaning it please let me know cause that is why I posted this thread.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Two thoughts.

Are you eating enough starch? You're going to need more carbs than most Primal folks, just because of your workload. Intense exercise requires glycogen. Your liver is only capable of turning about 100g/day of protein into glycogen and ketones. When you run short of glycogen, you get gassed trying to do anything intense.

PBF isn't really aimed at athletes. It's OK to maintain fitness or to get minimally fit with a low time commitment, but that's about it. If you have specific performance needs, you need to go beyond PBF.

Gordo

Digby is offline Senior Member
    If you are over 40, you may need more time to adapt to changes in diet, etc.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

PDXRunner is offline Junior Member
    I'm a runner. On days that I'm running I usually drink a shake for breakfast (coconut milk, berries, a tablespoon of almond butter, and an egg yolk... if it's a long run I'll add a banana). If I don't do this, I will not last through my run. Also, I drink my shake about a half hour before I start my workout. Makes it much easier to run.
    This may not be the exact right answer for you... but what you eat before exercising certainly does have an impact on your performance.

MervinThomas is offline Junior Member
    I think you need to eat when ever you feels hungry in this case you will be able to gain mass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast