Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat fat burn fat? page

huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member

Question Eat fat burn fat?

Shop Now
    It might just be that I have too much CW ingrained into me from culinary school and nutrition classes, but I can't wrap my mind around the concept of eating more calories and fat than ever, EVER, before and losing weight. I believe it's effective, but I'm a nuts a bolts kind of person, I wan't to understand how it works. I'm educated on the effects of insulin in the process of storing fat, I understand that excess protein will be converted into glycogen in the liver, thus producing insulin, I can quote you GI's on almost any vegetable, carb counts on every nut, but I just can't understand the fat breakdown. I'm reading Good Calories Bad Calories currently, so if its in the book, just tell me to shut up and keep reading. But still, if anyone is feeling expressive and generous, help me understand.... Please?
    "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
    Denis Waitley

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    Yes, it's in the book.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    I don't blame you. It was hard for me to wrap my head around it at first, too. The key point is satiety. Keep reading and stick with the program and you will get it.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huntergirlhayden View Post
    I can't wrap my mind around the concept of eating more calories and fat than ever, EVER, before and losing weight.
    That's not what happens. You do end up eating less, even without limits, because you are more easily sated. Finish the book
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Want some tangible evidence?

If you go here you can see my food journal where I track sporadically, but it shows how much fat I eat. I ate about 54% of my calories from fat today. Some days my percentage is much higher. I have been able to steadily lose weight. Heck I lost about 2 pounds this week

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    That's not what happens. You do end up eating less, even without limits, because you are more easily sated. Finish the book
    This is correct. I don't think you are necessarily eating more calories on this diet. But because you are limiting or even eliminating refined carbs and replacing them with fat and protein you don't get hungry as easy. If you read the book Mark explains that eating mostly protein/fat results in a much lower daily caloric intake than having a balanced macronutrient diet of protein/fat and carbs. It is pretty difficult to over eat if you are stuffing yourself with lots of fat and protein, you just reach satiety too fast and you stay that way for longer periods of time. Where as if you are eating refined carbs your body deals with it differently and it recalibrates your levels of satiety so that you need more and more of it to get full.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    The concept of calories is immaterial. Calories simply don't mean anything. They are no way of measuring how much is eaten or weight gain and weight loss. Today I ate around 4500 calories and my bodyfat is 9-10%. I am 5' 6". If calories meant anything, I would be fat. I weigh 110 lbs.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteakNchop View Post
    The concept of calories is immaterial. Calories simply don't mean anything. They are no way of measuring how much is eaten or weight gain and weight loss. Today I ate around 4500 calories and my bodyfat is 9-10%. I am 5' 6". If calories meant anything, I would be fat. I weigh 110 lbs.
    Aren't you also like 16 years old? I don't mean that to discredit your thoughts or opinions, but your rules don't apply to people over 20. Your body is not going to "accept" your 4500 cals when you're 30 and treat them the same way. Correct me if I'm wrong I may be mistaking you with another poster.

ps: I also am willing to bet your calories average out over time, and that you don't eat in excess of 3000 calories everyday. For everyone else out reading, SteakNChop doesn't eat any carbs at all, this is very important as he can afford more fat calories this way. If you're eating some carbs (or a lot of carbs) then you can't possibly try to imitate his diet because you will gain (unless of course that's what you want, then fat+starchy carbs is the way to go)

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    It's all about hormones. You mention insulin. Check out what happens when you digest fat versus carbohydrates or proteins.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    BS asked me this last night. There's 0% chance of him reading the book, and I can't explain it very well.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast