Thread: MIddle of the night meds page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

MIddle of the night meds

Primal Fuel
    After an unfortunate accident it's been necessary to take pain meds once or twice during the night. The pills are hard on the stomach so it has been my habit to eat a few crackers or some bread first. Trying to live Primally I no longer want to use carbs as a buffer for the meds. I could go rummage in the kitchen for something else to eat but that could disturb the rest of the household. Also, getting up, traveling to the kitchen and turning on the light would just make me wider awake. I'm looking for something that I might keep in or on the nightstand that didn't have to be refrigerated and isn't loaded with carbs. Any ideas?

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    You could try some banana, milk, spoon of coconut oil or maby slice some cheese up.
    Though dairy may not be 'primal' in the eyes of some, protecting your stomach comes first, as you know, those things can be nasty.

freethinkingcavewoman is offline Senior Member
    I take a handful of almonds when I have to take something. It has always worked for me. Maybe give that a try?

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    An open can of coconut milk probably won't go bad overnight.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a small cooler/lunch box? Put an ice pack in it, if you're worried that something might go bad, or if it's something that's just better cold. You can put it right next to the bed.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    A peeled, hard-boiled egg should be just fine in a little sandwich bag - you're only talking a few hours unrefrigerated, right? If that concerns you, put it in a glass of water with a few ice cubes.

Avocados don't require refrigeration, so that might be a good option if you're one of hte people who can just sit there and eat an avocado with a spoon.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Avocados don't require refrigeration, so that might be a good option if you're one of hte people who can just sit there and eat an avocado with a spoon.
    Actually, I am one of those people that could sit there and eat one with a spoon, maybe some salt and pepper. I would think they would need refrigeration once cut. I would probably only need a half or a quarter to cushion the meds.