Thread: Is C02 consumption bad for us? page

Dave_o is offline Senior Member

Is C02 consumption bad for us?

Although I consume no soft drink at all, I do like a few beers on the weekend - sometimes more than a few.
    Now I brew and keg my own beers, and love mineral water, so one thing I like doing is chilling and gassing a keg of cold water and adding a little bi-carb, salts and sugar - which is basically flavorless Gatorade and a great thirst quencher.
    I work out in my garage and because I have this stuff on tap I will drink up to two liters a day, particularly now when the weather is scorching - like now.

Obviously both the beer and water are carbonated with C02 - which of course is what we breath out, so it just got me thinking what effect - if any - oral C02 consumption has on the body.
    I read somewhere Clint Eastwood stopped consuming carbonated beverages years ago as part of his health regimen, but I cant find any research to support it.
    Sounds a bit hokey, but who knows, Clint is still kicking arse at 80.

Ever heard of this?

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious on this topic as well. I like to drink the flavored soda water sometimes. (And no I don't actually want to know where the flavorings come from or what they are. It's still better than Dr. Pepper!) But I sometimes wonder how much would be too much?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    The only thing I've seen about it (and it's been ages) is that it changes the pH of your stomach and can make it harder to absorb vitamins. I have no idea how true it is, however.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was diagnosed with osteopenia (the borderline condition to full blown osteoporosis) after chemo. I was advised by my doctor to never drink any carbonated drinks because they interfere with calcium uptake and can encourage calcium to be leached out of your bones to compensate.