Thread: Getting carbs up with sensitive blood sugars and gut dysbiosis page

Konnor is offline Junior Member

Getting carbs up with sensitive blood sugars and gut dysbiosis

Shop Now
    Hi there,

My health at the moment isn't brilliant and I'm wondering whether staying VLC is actually further damaging, prolonging my recovery. I'm chornically exhausted with poor sleep, racoon dark circles, lots of gut issues with inflammation and a tendancy towards constipation and some liver/gallbladder stress.

I am very slender, and due to feasting on simple carbs growing up I developed hypoglycemia. I eventually developed gut problems and IBS from that and a few years down the line am where I'm at currently. Not great for a 25 year old male. You would think I'm anorexic to look at but have never purposefully restricted my eating or calorie intake. Just seem to burn through food.

I'm familiar with all the candida, adrenal type stuff and tried being vlc with mainly meat, low GI and non-starchy veg with a view to 'healing the gut', but have not made any progress and remain exhausted with poor sleep. The only benefit has been more stable blood sugars.

My digestion is horrid, aggrevated by fibrous foods, as well as things like onions, nightshades, grains (naturally), and tough starch such as sweet potato's. I'm sensitive to dairy and eggs as well.

For better or worse I've been curious about Matt Stone's HED and RRARF although realise with a weak body and poor digestion, could have serious repocussions if I were to jump right in.

Getting to my question, how can I aim to increase carbs with minimal impact on digestion and blood sugars? After a period of over a year being <20g a day I would expect a bit of a rocky ride reintroducing even the smallest amount of carbs, which I can try to endure if I know I'll hopefully adjust. Certainly not talking huge amounts, just maybe to 100g a day to see if my sleep improves and I get a little more energy. Even that seems daunting. I'd like to improve my sleep which has been broken and only about 5 hours a night for months now, despite a very healthy paleo diet and trying various sleep aids.

My initial thoughts taken from the diets that specifically address gut problems such as SCD or GAPS are that carrots and squashes would be good introductions.

Does anyone have any other thoughts and advice raising carbs a little?

Many thanks,

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    What do you eat for fat right now? Saturated fat increases absorption of fat soluble vitamins, which are necessary for tissue healing...

With the constipation, and irritated gut issues...I think I'd not worry about carbs for now and add fats...that will further stabilize blood sugar levels and probably increase energy/improve sleep.

I hope someone smarter than I will chime in, but right off, that's my .02.

I've been high fat for a while now, probly around 70% of calories, typically from olive oil, goose/duck fat, coconut oil, lard, beef dripping, tallow or fish oil. I also take enzymes, HCL and oxbile and some magnesium, which does help a little but won't do diddly squat for denser foods such as sweet potato's or anything too fibrous.

I potentially don't think ketosis is fully for me, or at least at the level I'm at. With lots going on though I doubt it's fully behind my exhaustion. Just wondering if it's slightly exacerbating things.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Well, so much for that idea.

Time for someone smarter than I.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    White rice is neutral as a starch, so try that out. The anti-nutrients in rice are either in the bran or neutralized by cooking temperatures so it should be safe for your gut issues. 100g raw gets you 80g of carbs.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Hi Konnor - I'm so sorry to hear that you're having health issues. In terms of Primal carbs, carrots and squashes seem like a good option for you. You can also try parsnips, plantains, and beets. Finally, if none of those agree with you, having a little white rice is not Primal, but it also wouldn't be the end of the world

Personally, I've found that Primal was awesome for stabilizing my blood sugar, but hasn't helped my IBS as much as I hoped. My gastroenterologist recommended that I eat more cultured foods, especially kefir, which actually has helped enormously. I know you mentioned you are sensitive to dairy, but you can find water kefir as well. I also am a big fan of kimchi now - I buy the Sunja's brand, which is organic and has a Primal-friendly ingredient list.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

billman89 is offline Member
    Resistant Starch with a probiotic supplement while your eating it, perhaps some saurkraut or bubbies pickles, kefir or yogurt right after, does great for digestion and gut flora issues. Resistant starch is found in cooked then cooled potatoes... so make a bunch of mashed yams or taters, stick em in the fridge and eat a cup or so each day with some probiotics and you'll be on your way. Resistant Starch is probably one of the best prebiotics you can eat.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Second probiotics/fermented foods. Try kombucha.

Also, make sure you are vitamin D sufficient. It will help with your overall inflammation issues.

How long have you been off grains/gluten?

Quote Originally Posted by billman89 View Post
    Resistant Starch with a probiotic supplement while your eating it, perhaps some saurkraut or bubbies pickles, kefir or yogurt right after, does great for digestion and gut flora issues. Resistant starch is found in cooked then cooled potatoes... so make a bunch of mashed yams or taters, stick em in the fridge and eat a cup or so each day with some probiotics and you'll be on your way. Resistant Starch is probably one of the best prebiotics you can eat.
    Interesting. So the action of cooling 'creates' resistant starch? And wouldn't this be more troublesome unless the gut is up to it?

I guess it would be okay to accompany the cup with fat and protein? Being pretty out of wack my body might throw a bit of a wobbly with just potato's.

Ta,