Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comebacks for Naysayers page

Buttercup is offline Senior Member

Comebacks for Naysayers

I've been in the unfortunate situation (as have most of us) of being on the receiving end of some not-so-nice discussion about our PB lifestyle.

So I thought I'd start a thread of POSITIVE things we can discuss, other than resorting to abstract scientific theories or personal jabs. Please add yours!

1. Environmental Concerns While we have to concede that if 6 billion people tried to switch to this diet we'd all be in big trouble, there are some environmental pluses. In my house, we generate a lot less waste, both trash and recycling, because most of what we buy isn't packaged. Meat comes with minimal packaging. I'm also wasting a lot less food because I am more focused on using what we have and finishing or repurposing leftovers. It has also strengthened my resolve to eat as seasonally and locally as possible, reducing carbon emissions and supporting local farmers.
    2. Health Concerns Feel free to share your cholesterol numbers with those who ask. If you're diabetic, explain how it helps you. Talk about the energy you have. I was shocked at my yoga class the other day to find that just losing a few pounds made some poses more accessible. Mention that aren't we all supposed to eat more whole foods like nuts, vegetables, and fruits? I eat more of that stuff now than before! Aren't we all supposed to cut out sugar and processed food? Done!
    3. Lifestyle Changes I have more energy and brain power to get through my day. What seemed difficult before isn't an obstacle anymore. No more desperate need for an afternoon nap. I'm no longer controlled by my hunger and I don't feel like I'm going to die without a snack at 10am. I don't have to feel guilty about sunshine anymore! And, ahem, shall we just say the libido benefits? (Keep it clean, kids!)

What else?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    *change the subject*

seriously, it's the best. just change the subject.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    "I feel better"

That's all. I don't care if they want to eat like me and I don't need them to approve of how I eat.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    "I feel better"

That's all. I don't care if they want to eat like me and I don't need them to approve of how I eat.
    +1

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    I gave up on the conversation altogether. I'll answer a straight question with a straight answer, but the second the person I'm talking to starts vomiting CW on me, I tell them how many pounds I've lost and rattle off my current lipid and blood sugar data.

But that is absolutely as far as I will take the conversation from that point.

Then, as Zoebird said, it's time to change the subject.

Uncledave is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    "I feel better"

That's my approach. If someone notices the changes in me and wants to know more, I'll share until they've had enough. If they want to criticize and critique and find fault they can find somebody else to bring down. I've got better things to do with my time.
    Start weight 403 09/29/2010
    Current weight 335
    On my way to becoming half the man I used to be...

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I have a photo of me at my heaviest before changing my lifestyle that I keep in my wallet. When people say shit about it, I show the them the photo and credit my lifestyle for the results. Shuts em down every time.

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    I have a photo of me at my heaviest before changing my lifestyle that I keep in my wallet. When people say shit about it, I show the them the photo and credit my lifestyle for the results. Shuts em down every time.
    Nice!

But everybody, I kinda meant more like we can share some positive benefits here. I get the "don't talk about it" thing, trust me, that's my advice to everyone who asks for help about this too. I just mean when the debate gets going, I find it useful to return it to something positive, specific, and personal rather than try to argue the science and data.

Any other ideas?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    sure, i just avoid the debates. because no matter how positive I make it, they get angry/frustrated that i somehow am not listening, and then i'm like 'uhm, no."

so, i just stop.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My lifestyle isn't up for debate. And IMO, it's not fair to get involved in a debate when your mind is made up. Thus I smile and say "this works for me".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast