Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to Hear From Old-Timers (PB for more than a year) page

Buttercup is offline Senior Member

Question Want to Hear From Old-Timers (PB for more than a year)

I am curious to hear from folks who have lived PB for longer than a year. I'm only 3 weeks in and loving it so far, but after checking out the forums, I hear a lot of success stories and then some not-so-success stories.

So I'm curious about how this evolves as a lifestyle.

What are some challenges you didn't expect?
    How has your attitude about PB changed or fluctuated?
    Have you fallen off the PB wagon entirely and gotten back on?
    Have you found yourself getting bored with the food? What do you use for inspiration?

Etc.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I've been floating around since late summer '09.

I think my biggest/underestimated challenge is social situations - eating non-PB at group nights out, buffets, parties.... Also I have a weakness for emotional eating (or emotional not-eating). This is nowhere near as bad as it was when eating "normally" but it still holds me back and I think is the main reason I haven't lost weight.
    For the record, I could stand to lose 14-20lbs, I have PCOS, and lots of hypothyroid symptoms although not enough to convince any Dr to do any tests for it.

Attitude. Well, to begin with I was concerned with numbers and tracking, and nerdy scientific research. Now, I focus on trusting my body. I deliberatly don't track, bar keeping a rough idea on what I've had. I try to focus more on the "foodie" side of life, so thinking how can I cook what I have in a yummy, satisfying way; instead of "oh noes I need more fat, what can I have??". I'd like to get to the point where I don't consciously "eat primal" - I just eat. Does that make sense? It also allows me to really decide what agrees with me - I feel a lot healthier on a very carnivorous diet, contrary to the BASs and the heaps of kale here.

I'm on and off the wagon so often I have my own step I know exactly why, and tbh I no longer fight it (well, for now at least. Bit of a down phase at the moment). My crashes off the wagon are less dramatic and less frequent the more I carry on. At first, it was a complete disaster and really upset me - and that stress probably made things worse. Now it's more like "oh well, that was stupid, you know you'll feel sick in the morning"....followed by feeling sick in the morning...followed by something tasty and good later on. A bit like drinking too much when you know it's bad for you!

I tend not to get bored of food. Having said that, I really eat very little. I enjoy cooking though, and at the minute am working through a game cookbook. I never follow recipes exactly, and tend to be a "grandma cook" - very instinctive, it's ready when it looks ready, that kind of idea.

I think overall, I'm more of a foodie and less of an evangelist. As in, I enjoy creating tasty food, that happens not to have things in that make me feel ill, but I don't preach or anything. I haven't told my friends about primal because there are no physical resuts in terms of weight/appearance.

Side notes - my success lies in increased strength (I don't work out but have a fairly physical job); better mental health overall, a lessening of the PCOS symptoms, and freedom from the food obsession. I used to be someone who had to eat first thing in the morning and every couple of hours thereafter, else I'd get blood sugar drops and faint. I can now eat once a day if needs be, and the freedom and flexibility that gives me is incredible. It also means I get to really stuff my piggy little face at dinnertime guilt-free

Hope this is useful

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    I'm a month away from my one year anniversary. I was hardcore at first and was able to lean out for a type of bodybuilding competition and then I was just eating what I was in the mood for and not tracking (still PB). I hit a rough spot from Oct - Dec and didn't really eat grains, but drank about 5x a week and had a LOT of sweets.
    My challenges have been trying new meats. I've yet to try organ meat which is just a mental block. I want to be more inventive and willing to try recipes for beef mainly. I'm almost to the edge of trying sardines ~~~~ I need to step away from the ease of chicken.
    My attitude has always been positive for PB; my desire to care for my body does flip flop, unfortunately.
    I don't get bored with the food really, just confused and lazy about trying new things.
    I've been at least 95% since Jan 1st and I feel FANTASTIC. It only took a couple days for my body to thank me with loads of energy and much less poofy mid-section. I was a big pile of processed sugar fatigued mess of a woman in Dec. I do not want to see that silly part of me again.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Just celebrated my year anniversary by doing an awesome workout I wouldn’t have even THOUGHT about doing before finding MDA and eating a BAS (big ass steak!!)

Tough one. I’m sorry but at the time I can’t think of any, I think through being on the forums and reading others’ stories I “expected” to at one time or another face the same challenges they were.
    I still like the PB a lot and still live it. I was around month 5 through 10 a very “hardcore” primal though that eschewed anything NOT primal. I was very vocal (and probably annoying) on the forums regarding NOT snacking, NOT ever cheating, uhh things like that. Now I have come to realize that … life is long y’all, barring any accidents and all that… we all plan to live decently long lives, so if being able to partake in other people’s food from time to time, or just flat out choosing to eat something shitty can be an empowering thing. “I know exactly what’s going to happen after I eat this piece of candy/cake/pizza/etc but damn it, I’m going to eat it and enjoy it then deal with the fallout and won’t feel bad about it” but mind you, this is for “healthy” individuals, I’m not saying celiacs should have “gluten Thursdays!” or anything like that. I also think, for newbies, it's important for them to strive for primal perfection and really get to know themselves and their reactions to food. The time I spent being very strict gave me a profound awareness of how I deal with food (both good food and bad food) so NOW I have the power I talked about before. I'm not saying new people should imitate me, at all.
    No, this is the only “diet” I have ever stuck to for longer than 3 weeks. I literally love the way I eat, feel and exercise, I see no need to change. I’m in love with meat and fat, I love eggs and veggies, I like fruit, ahh I could and probably should write a poem about all the wonderful food I eat. I do eat crappier than most here though, but still all my meals are 100% primal but I like to snack on junk food wayyy too often. I certainly don’t feel as good or healthy as I did back when I was militant, but I’m also a lot happier since I’m not constantly getting angry when I see something packaged. I would literally get angry when I saw people eat chips or what have you… now I’m a chip eater… not proud, but happy! I don’t claim to be a good primal follower anymore. I also don’t think eating that bad stuff is going to severely disrupt what the good meals I routinely have are doing.
    Have you found yourself getting bored with the food? What do you use for inspiration?
    Nah, I don’t eat a ton of diversity, but it suits my personality. My girlfriend likes to get creative or play with recipes, I only do so when I have the time, but mostly I’m like a pig in shit if you put a piece of meat in front of me, or some nice eggs with bacon. I’m a really simple eater but at the same time I LOVE trying new things, just don’t always have the desire to make them myself. I’m lazy in my cooking and rotate around 10 different meals and combinations.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 02-02-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Kelda is offline Senior Member

That it would be so difficult for other people to understand the benefits.

No, I came to PB from having worked out what I should be eating having read Taubes GCBC and was delighted to find there was a community of people already living it. If anything I've fallen more and more in love with it as all the benefits have been revealed. Especially when I realised it had cured my bipolar.

No, sometimes I eat more than I need, and sometimes eat more dark chocolate or drink a bit more wine than I ought. Not eaten any grains since starting - I choose to fast if nothing appropriate is available.

No, I came to this from being a vegetarian so am still enjoying eating meat! Just eating fresh real food is inspiration enough for me.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I am curious to hear from folks who have lived PB for longer than a year. I'm only 3 weeks in and loving it so far, but after checking out the forums, I hear a lot of success stories and then some not-so-success stories.

So I'm curious about how this evolves as a lifestyle.

Etc.
    I've been on the PB for a year and a half, and I have absolutely no intention to ever go back to CW.

I expected challenges, and then didn't have them. This has been like falling off a log, it's so easy.

My attitude toward it has changed only in that I've become damn near evangelical about it as I've seen what it's done for my body, my weight, and my overall health.

Never even thought about even stepping off the wagon - to do so would be crazy. To be honest, I jumped OFF the CW wagon onto the solid ground of PB. It's not a wagon, it's a stationary place.

Never get bored with the food. I can make six or seven different curries, two or three different frittatas, roasts, salads, barbecue - how is it even possible to get bored with that? The variety is endless - much more so than bland, oversugared, grainy CW processed crap. I eat real food - what's not to love?
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Never get bored with the food. I can make six or seven different curries, two or three different frittatas, roasts, salads, barbecue - how is it even possible to get bored with that? The variety is endless - much more so than bland, oversugared, grainy CW processed crap. I eat real food - what's not to love?
    Yeah food variety is HUGE on primal. Every poster seems to bring their personal flare too once they get into cooking, for instance I haven't once made a curry, but as you can see Griff is big on them, other people eat way more fish than I do as well. Anybody that says they get bored of the food just haven't experimented enough.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Never even thought about even stepping off the wagon - to do so would be crazy. To be honest, I jumped OFF the CW wagon onto the solid ground of PB. It's not a wagon, it's a stationary place.
    I love that. And it definitely echoes how I feel. I never thought I'd be able to sustain this way of life, but I can imagine being primal indefinitely. I won't answer the OP, cause I've only been doing this for a month or so.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I had a surprisingly difficult time with the "eating only when hungry" concept. In the beginning, I was literally walking the floors because it was 7 p.m. and I hadn't eaten or wasn't in the process of getting ready to eat yet.

My food is a lot more dialed in now, with exclusions of entire subgroups of foods, such as nightshades and 95% of dairy. But I didn't start out that way.

Yes, one time, big time. It all started with what was supposed to be ONE meal -- Thanksgiving 2009. The next morning, before I knew it, I had bread and Pepsi in my mouth. A trainwreck ensued. Had a helluva time getting my feet back underneath me. Thanksgiving 2010 I was uber-Primal, scared straight.

No. There are SO many good primal/paleo food blogs. If anything, I've got too many recipes I want to make stacked up.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am the main cook in my house. Hell! The ONLY cook in my house, so I worry a little about fatigue. I love variety and haven't hit the wall with it yet. But I find the preparation and thought that goes into this pretty extensive. I feel like I can't drop the ball and relax about it because then we won't have anything to eat! And there are only a few things we could order out for in an emergency (no more pizza crutch).

Thanks everyone! Keep it coming! Feel free to mention other things about your time PB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast