Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: David from DC's positively Primal progress journal and things page

David_DC is offline Senior Member

David from DC's positively Primal progress journal and things

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone. I started this in the 'introduce yourself' (awesome Faith No More song btw) and have been writing there until I realized I should be upping my progress and stories here so I'm just going to copy what I have there up to now and start fresh..

Really just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My name is David and I currently live in the Washington DC metropolitan area.

I'm very new to this but very excited to be taking part. I was turned onto the primal lifestyle by a few friends who are doing, loving, and making great strides and having amazing success in doing so.

Some short history. I have always been a big guy. I'm 6 ft and currently very overweight. I have always been active, especially in the past. Played football in high school and have always loved skating, golf and soccer with the boys. I Have lifted weights pretty regularly since I was about 14 etc, so I'm hoping you get the picture. I've never been 'ripped' by any means, but not obese by any means either, Not until about 10 years ago that is.

I won't go into the details or reasons why, But I guess they are pretty common. Stress, personal and professional reasons, Eating unhealthy (blaming the job) because of the job, etc. And of course you throw depression in there and things started getting out of control. Started to also get colds very easily and chronic sinus infections. At least 6 times, if not more per year.

5 years ago I made a decision, did Atkins and got back to my high school weight. (loss of over 60 lbs in a relatively short period of time) I was thrilled, but I still didn't feel very good. and I did lose muscle as well as fat but was still happy nonetheless. Figured I'd worry about that muscle stuff later.

Kept the weight off for about a year, but then fell into deep depression due to one of my 2 dogs dying. Then about 8 months later the other one passed too. Pretty much threw me back into the throes of an unhealthy lifestyle full force. So long story short, in 4 years I pretty much gained all the weight back that I had lost depressing me even more. It's been a vicious cycle. I just couldn't seem to dig myself out of. Instead I was just digging the grave deeper.

Another thing that happened in 2 of the last 3 years, every fall, I would get sick with another sinus infection, late August to early September and stay sick for 4 months. No matter what antibiotics or crazy pills I was given, I just stayed sick. Well around march of 2010 I vowed not to let it happen again. SO... On Atkins I went again. And I did lose another 40 lbs by mid summer. I was NOT going to get that sick again!

Never mind..... Got sick around mid August again...and stayed sick until the end of December.... again.

Yo Yo dieting is not healthy, and Atkins was definitely not working long term for me so I already decided that was definitely not an option. I wanted something that was going to work dammit. SO... A few friends of mine who had actually talked to me about going Primal/ Paleo a year before finally received emails, calls etc with the message "I want to know more. Please help"

I never thought i could do this. "No grains at all? No wheat? No pasta? no fake or sugary substances in fizzy cola drinks? Those are my favorite things in the world! I could never do it. THAT'S JUST PLAIN CRAZY" I remember these words because that's exactly what I told my friend George when he first tried to get me to think about it almost a year ago to the day.

Well since the first of the year, I have been researching, reading, and trying to absorb as much info as possible from as many different sources as possible in preparation for my life change. I'm ready for this. I NEED this for my own sake. A big thank you to my buddies George and Eric, who helped point me in the right direction including this site.

So FINALLY. my progress. I started going primal on January 9th. Exactly 2 weeks ago and I'm proud to announce that I have lost 15 lbs since then and without being hungry at all! Another welcome surprise is my once 'puffy' face has no puff whatsoever and the small patch of eczema I had over my right eyebrow has started to magically disappear without any cream whatsoever.

I know I'm just 2 weeks into this but I look forward to seeing my progress 2 months, 2 year, hell 20 years from now thanks to my friends that helped convince me to finally go primal!

second update posted 1 day after I wrote the above...

SO yesterday I woke up and decided to do my first fast. Lasted 34 hours. Didn't eat anything after 9pm on Saturday until 7 am this morning other than a cup of black coffee yesterday morning and water throughout the rest.

Went pretty well until about 9pm last night. I started to get pretty hungry, but I just toughed it out and was in bed by 11.

Anyone have opinions on this? I think next time I will just do a 24 hour fast. Might start a weekly basis type thing? Maybe bi weekly? Should I have eaten when I was hungry?

Thanks so much in advance. this site has been such a great well of information.

so here is my last update posted yesterday.

three weeks in and I am feeling mostly great. Still having the 'flu carb sypmptoms' from time to time, but having more good days than bad so I'm ok with that.

I lost 15 lbs in the first 2 weeks but klost nothing as of yesterday when I weighed myself. I think it's due to me eating a lot of fruit the past week which I had not done the first 2. Not an exorbatent amount, but an apple and a bananna a day. I'll stop that for 2 weeks and see what happens. Really I am looking to lose 70 lbs total, and as much as I can before June would be nice.

Also have done 2 intermittent fasts at 34 and 24 hrs a click with no issues. Still eating like a horse, but all good stuff and loving it so far.

Food journal

This has been my almost daily meal plan. Wonder what everyone thinks? Any suggestions? Remember I'm trying to lose weight.

B: 2 egg omelette cooked in bacon grease filled with diced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and a small bit of shredded cheddar. 3 slices of bacon, small handful of pistachios

L: big ass salad. 2 cups or more of romaine lettuce consisting of one chopped up hard boiled egg, 2 oz of mushrooms, 2 oz of chopped up cherry tomatoes, 3 oz of chopped chicken breast, a few chopped olives, 2 tablespoons full of vinegar and olive oil dressing.

D: 2 tilapia fillets or steak, either baked or pan fried in either bacon grease, olive oil, or coconut oil. I switch up the oil on a bi daily basis for different flavor. Tonight it was steak baked with olive oil, and half an avocado for after dinner snack.

For snacks i usually eat 4 baby carrots ( 8 total) and small handful of almonds twice a day or a teaspoonful,of almond butter.

For drinking I sometimes have a cup of black coffee in the morning and water almost every time else.

Anything I should add or cut back on?

shrona is offline Member
    Hi David, I'm pretty new here too, from what I've read here, and heard on Robb Wolf's podcast, most people fast 16 hours from dinner one night, until lunch the next day. So basically just skipping breakfast, but getting the timing right. I would exchange the tilapia for some wild salmon and tuna (even from a can if you are on a budget), personally, I would also add some fat to lunch - add avocado or sub chicken thighs for breasts. Fat fills me up really well I find. Otherwise, it it seems to me like you are eating good food, but maybe not enough. I eat the same or more at breakfast and lunch, and I am 5'6'' and 130 lb. Anywho, I think you should post this on the regular nutrition board that more people read if you don't continue to have results (realize that plateaus are natural though), but it sounds like you are doing pretty durn good . Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the advice Shrona and hello!

Substituting Thighs for breasts are a good idea. I prefer dark meat anyway and The avocados I do eat from time to time but not on a regular basis. I should and will though. I love avocados. I also think I will try to fast in shorter increments. the 34hr was pretty brutal towards the end. The 24hr was not as bad but i'll try shorter until i find what really works for me.

So a small victory (another awesome faith no more song!) To report today. I was able to put on my size 38 jeans which I outgrew in August today and they fit very comfortably! I also was able pull one more notch from my belt to help keep them from falling down. It's the little things that make me smile these days =) I was also able to get some concert tickets to see Deftones and Dillinger Escape Plan in Baltimore for May. So Stoked!

today was pretty mild in every shape and form which is a good thing. So glad it's Friday. Did my 3rd IF today. Actually started last night. Had dinner at 7pm and had nothing until around 12:30 pm today. Nice quarter of a rotisserie chicken, small salad and an avocado for lunch . Pretty delicious I have to say. Tonight will be moe of the same. Some chicken and an avocado. all in all not a bad way to eat eh?

Looking forward to The weekend. Think I'll do one more IF starting tonight after dinner and lasting until lunch tomorrow. Superbowl Sunday will bring my fist attempt at making Pizza with a Meatza crust! SO looking forward to that. Beef or Chicken meatza crust is the only question? hmmm... Really hope everyone has a great weekend.
    Last edited by David_DC; 02-04-2011 at 01:45 PM.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by David_DC View Post
    So a small victory (another awesome faith no more song!) To report today. I was able to put on my size 38 jeans which I outgrew in August today and they fit very comfortably!

Awesome. Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Awesome. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks canio6! I plan on it so yesterday I decided I was going to sprint. Not sure why but the feeling just overtook me. So at lunchtime I sprinted like I've never sprinted before. 10 minutes long, as hard as I could. Felt like I was going to die immediately afterwards but within 20 mins I felt really good and relaxed.

Probably haven't sprinted or ran in about 10 years. Definitely plan on making this a weekly habit. I really need to bone up on the primal fitness plan. I want to incorporate heavy lifting as well. So anyway I wake up this morning and I am really sore. My left foot and ankle in particular felt really banged up. After waking up and walking around for a bit it's fine.

I.m flat footed so does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to help my feet get used to this? Would the vibrams help?I also
    have a pair of chucks and and pair of old school vans that are very flat as well. Would those be better than my super soft and arched running shoes?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    1 month primal today! Im feeling so much better the last few weeks than i can remember feeling in a very, very long time. Look forward to the next few decades of living this way.

Made my first batch of primal pancakes this morning using coconut flour. Very good! Tasted just like regular pancakes but you know what I learned? I don't need them. I made 10 pancakes, had one and didn't feel the need for another. I gave my wife a few and froze the rest for when SHE craves them. Think I'm done with pancakes for good. Another item that going primal has taught
    me to be ok without. Wonder what will be next? Hmmm.........

Think I'm going to try IF'ing on a two times a week basis starting tomorrow. I'll probably be a little more carb heavy than usual today thanks to the superbowl so what better a time to start if'ing on a regular basis than the day after?

but going to keep it all gluten free and as primal as possible. Going to make a meatza pizza with a bison ground beef crust
    which I'm super excited about, and massive amounts of guacamole dip. Frying up some plantain chips and some some fried
    zucchini sticks with almond or coconut flour coating. Let's go pack! I'm actually a skins fan so I have no real allegiance to either team, but since I am a Washington Caps fan I have to dislike all sports teams from Pittsburgh for the penguin affiliation alone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast