Thread: Foggy head

Foggy head

Shop Now
    I'm experiencing a little bit of a foggy brain. I'm a little slow with my reaction times, have been increasingly absent minded the past couple of days (since going full primal), and during high exertion, occaisionally see stars.

Do I need to eat more fat? I just got some blood work back and my fasting BG was 88...that's supposed to be good to go, right?

My carbs each day are between 50-70 grams.

And yes, I'm well hydrated, I drink nearly a gallon of water per day.

canio6 Guest
    Many people experience a low carb flu the first few days or longer when they go primal. For me it lasted about 2-3 days. Others have stated it lasts weeks. It does pass. That said, being a deployed pilot you may not be able to afford even one carb-flu day. Hopefully those with more knowledge/long term primal experience will chime in.

The funny thing was when I cut out grains a couple weeks ago, I felt amazing for about two weeks. Deeper sleep, great energy, etc. Then the past three days it's been foggy...like the time I tried Atkins. I think I need to up my carbs.

Can you tell us what an average day's worth of meals looks like for you? I think that would help.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

My guess is you just need to wait it out, and meanwhile get in the habit of writing down things you need to remember - probably on your hand . I had a similar experience: felt much better at first, but then my short-term memory and overall mental speed went walkabout for several weeks. Then everything went back to normal, only sharper and more energetic than before.

When I go too low carb, below 50 g, I get foggy as well. I don't do to well in that range, so I try to say below 100g.

Here's yesterday's food:

4 oz of summer sausage
    2 4oz cans of V8 juice

Bigass Salad with a chicken breast, 7 slices of bacon, about a 1/4 cup of peppers, 1/4 cup of ham, and two packets of ranch (14g fat, 3 g carbs ea)

5 egg omelete with 1/3 cup of peppers, 1/4 cup of mushrooms, 1/4 cup of cheese, 1/4 cup of ham, and 5 slices of bacon
    3 hard boiled eggs
    1 whole avocado
    1 plum
    2 cans of V8 (7g carbs ea)

I'm guessing I was probably under 50 yesterday...which is why I felt like crap. I think I'll throw in an extra piece of fruit, maybe two and go from there.

Oh, and I'm 6'2", 220, currently at 22% body fat. I'm following Primal fitness and did sprints yesterday, and an hour of slow biking the day before that.

Hilary, you know us all too well. ;-)

Monty, I may end up nearly more towards 100, thanks.
    Last edited by FlyNavy; 02-02-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Shop Now
    i think it looks good overall. if you feel good otherwise (eg, not hungry, etc), then i think this is a phase that will pass. i'm fairly certain i went through it, but i can't be sure.

i do spend a lot of time writing things down, but i have a LONG list of things to do.

hopefully, it will clear soon.