Thread: Foggy head page

FlyNavy is offline Member

Foggy head

Shop Now
    I'm experiencing a little bit of a foggy brain. I'm a little slow with my reaction times, have been increasingly absent minded the past couple of days (since going full primal), and during high exertion, occaisionally see stars.

Do I need to eat more fat? I just got some blood work back and my fasting BG was 88...that's supposed to be good to go, right?

My carbs each day are between 50-70 grams.

And yes, I'm well hydrated, I drink nearly a gallon of water per day.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Many people experience a low carb flu the first few days or longer when they go primal. For me it lasted about 2-3 days. Others have stated it lasts weeks. It does pass. That said, being a deployed pilot you may not be able to afford even one carb-flu day. Hopefully those with more knowledge/long term primal experience will chime in.

The funny thing was when I cut out grains a couple weeks ago, I felt amazing for about two weeks. Deeper sleep, great energy, etc. Then the past three days it's been foggy...like the time I tried Atkins. I think I need to up my carbs.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Can you tell us what an average day's worth of meals looks like for you? I think that would help.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    My guess is you just need to wait it out, and meanwhile get in the habit of writing down things you need to remember - probably on your hand . I had a similar experience: felt much better at first, but then my short-term memory and overall mental speed went walkabout for several weeks. Then everything went back to normal, only sharper and more energetic than before.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    When I go too low carb, below 50 g, I get foggy as well. I don't do to well in that range, so I try to say below 100g.

Here's yesterday's food:

4 oz of summer sausage
    2 4oz cans of V8 juice

Bigass Salad with a chicken breast, 7 slices of bacon, about a 1/4 cup of peppers, 1/4 cup of ham, and two packets of ranch (14g fat, 3 g carbs ea)

5 egg omelete with 1/3 cup of peppers, 1/4 cup of mushrooms, 1/4 cup of cheese, 1/4 cup of ham, and 5 slices of bacon
    3 hard boiled eggs
    1 whole avocado
    1 plum
    2 cans of V8 (7g carbs ea)

I'm guessing I was probably under 50 yesterday...which is why I felt like crap. I think I'll throw in an extra piece of fruit, maybe two and go from there.

Oh, and I'm 6'2", 220, currently at 22% body fat. I'm following Primal fitness and did sprints yesterday, and an hour of slow biking the day before that.

Hilary, you know us all too well. ;-)

Monty, I may end up nearly more towards 100, thanks.
    Last edited by FlyNavy; 02-02-2011 at 03:16 PM.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i think it looks good overall. if you feel good otherwise (eg, not hungry, etc), then i think this is a phase that will pass. i'm fairly certain i went through it, but i can't be sure.

i do spend a lot of time writing things down, but i have a LONG list of things to do.

hopefully, it will clear soon.