Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seinfeld's Productivity Secret page

apple is offline Senior Member

Seinfeld's Productivity Secret

Shop Now
    I found a really interesting article on lifehacker the other day. Here's the link if you want to read!

http://lifehacker.com/281626/jerry-s...ctivity-secret

It's about a guy who wants to get better at writing his material, and J Seinfeld gives him his biggest tip: write a little bit every day, instead of trying to sit down and do it all at once. The greatest part is his advice on how to stay on task with the 'every day' part:

"He said for each day that I do my task of writing, I get to put a big red X over that day. "After a few days you'll have a chain. Just keep at it and the chain will grow longer every day. You'll like seeing that chain, especially when you get a few weeks under your belt. Your only job next is to not break the chain."

'Don't break the chain,' he said again for emphasis."

Of course, I'm going to try this with the primal lifestyle. I know there will be days in the course of a year where I will WANT to cheat (birthday, someone's party, etc.) but will it be worth it to break that chain? Probably not. Will I enjoy that slice of cake so much that I will be able to stand seeing a big white spot telling me that I gave in? Maybe, maybe not. I'm very visual, so it's definitely extra incentive to WANT to live this lifestyle!

"It works because it isn't the one-shot pushes that get us where we want to go, it is the consistent daily action that builds extraordinary outcomes. You may have heard "inch by inch anything's a cinch." Inch by inch does work if you can move an inch every day."

"Skipping one day makes it easier to skip the next."
    <--this is definitely the issue for me! If I cheat Friday night, I'll probably continue having cheats all weekend!

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Funny, I've been struggling to keep at my writing for years, always trying to do a shedload each time I did it. Just recently I started saying to myself 'it doesn't matter how much you do each day. Just do something at it each day'. Since then I've applied this to several other aspects of life, with good results. Haven't tried the chain idea, though.

FlyNavy is offline Member
    I use this method because as the chain grows, the weight of the guilt for breaking it gets more intense. Helps me to get motivated and get it done!

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    I love this! There is a calendar right in my line of sight for most of my work day. I'm going to find a red marker right now...

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It's definitely great advice for writing and I guess it translates into PB eating, but I actually don't think it's a big deal to take a meal or two off of PB once in a while, unless you really have serious health issues you need to deal with. It depends on where you are at with PB - for me, after straying I tend to want to return asap to PB because it makes me happy, but if you look at PB as a necessary chore or burden you'll need motivational tools like this.

Steve-O is offline Senior Member
    The point I think he's making is try to enjoy the process. If you're only doing something for the end result, and don't like the process, then you're setting yourself up for failure.

apple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    It's definitely great advice for writing and I guess it translates into PB eating, but I actually don't think it's a big deal to take a meal or two off of PB once in a while, unless you really have serious health issues you need to deal with. It depends on where you are at with PB - for me, after straying I tend to want to return asap to PB because it makes me happy, but if you look at PB as a necessary chore or burden you'll need motivational tools like this.
    I absolutely agree with this! No one should do it unless they are ready for some pressure. Every person works differently, so one might not want to apply this to the WHOLE primal lifestyle, but could more readily just pick one aspect at a time. Like, "I will make a meal plan for every week so I can stick more closely to primal without going hungry/getting bored/running out of primal foods." or "I will find one physical activity to do for at least 15min every day, no matter what it has to be." It can be little or it can be big.

There's definitely something to be said for this helping to create a new habit too. I know that my habits have generally been "eat sugary cereal, crash, eat sugary 'protein' bar as snack, crash, eat big bready sandwich for lunch, crash," etc. So pressuring myself to keep a new habit going makes it easier in the beginning when it's not ingrained yet, and sets me up for the habit to become second nature. It makes it easy. I'm competitive when it comes to proving to myself that I can do something!

Paleobird Guest
    I read this thread earlier today and decided to apply it to my pull up efforts. I'm going to do some work on them every day not just on official LHT workout days.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I like it. I, too, am in love with the idea of being a writer but not necessarily writing. I use my two 15 minute work breaks to write a little bit in a notebook and after a month I already have something pretty impressive and satisfying.

I don't think this applies that well to changing your diet and lifestyle, though. It's easy to say that writing just one sentence qualifies as a link in the chain, but what about a day where you eat perfectly primally for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but have half a dozen chocolate chip cookies before bed? Does that count? Lots of gray areas.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I read this thread earlier today and decided to apply it to my pull up efforts. I'm going to do some work on them every day not just on official LHT workout days.
    That's just how Dwayne did it in Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I like it. I, too, am in love with the idea of being a writer but not necessarily writing.
    I'm so with you on that one...
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast