Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pork liver and heart page

Madame P is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I'm a member of a meat CSA and every month, in addition to 20 pounds family farm-raised meat, they offer "extras." Pork liver and heart is being offered at $1.50 a pound.

I know that I should be eating more organ meats. But I've never really heard of people eating organs from domesticated pigs.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is it advisable? Is it nutritious? Is it tasty?

nina_70 Guest

I loooove Pork liver, but made into liverpate, the way my mother, grandmother & great-grandmother made it. It's standard Danish fare. With a lovely big liver you can make several pate's, freeze the ones you don't use and just bake the ones you do. Here's a recipe:

http://ariandhisfood.blogspot.com/20...verpostej.html

I haven't made this since I became Primal. Usually we'd eat it with Danish-style rye-bread, mushrooms, pickle, bacon and a few other trimmings on an open-face sandwich. I'd probably cheat w/ some sprouted manna bread for this if I made it today.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Madame you could try making primal Anticuchos with pork heart:

http://bit.ly/81AcT

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

nina_70 Guest

Actually now that I'm thinking about it we used to make marinated pork-liver as well as a ton of other recipes in our family. Pork is a big stable in Denmark and the liver was always used. You can fry the liver in butter and then finish in a red-wine, onion sauce. Or, you chop it into slivers and wok-fry it for 3-4 mins with other veggies. Lot of options...

maba is offline Senior Member

Nina, that recipe sounds so good! I'm tired of my usual beef liver curry. I might give this a try. Can I substitute butter for pork fat and omit the flour?

nina_70 Guest

maba - for the liverpate, I have to admit I've never made it without the fat. Pork-fat is one of the key ingredients (taste-wise). The recipe I listed uses 1kg of pork liver and 500g of fat. My mother's recipe uses 700g of liver and 400g of lard/pork-fat. So, the fat is a pretty key ingredient.

For the flour it's usually only used 2-3 tablespoons, just enough to make a roux. I'm sure there's a way of making roux without it, but I don't know enough to be sure. The roux is needed to thicken things slightly.

Here's my family's recipe:

Ingredients (makes ~3-4 liver pâté’s)

Meat-mix

700g fresh pork-liver (svinelever)

400g lard/pork-fat (spæk)

1 medium onion (løg)

Roux

50g butter (smør)

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (mel)

350ml (0.35 of a liter) whipping cream (piskefløde)

Final Ingredients

3 eggs, separated (æg)

1 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon black pepper (sort peber)

½ teaspoon crushed cloves (nellike)

½ teaspoon crushed allspice (allehånde)

½ teaspoon powdered ginger (ingefær)

~16 slices bacon, for lining the bread/loaf pans

1/ Cut liver, lard & onions into cubes

2/ run the liver, fat and onions through a meat-grinder 3-times until smooth in consistency & color.

3/ Make the roux...melt butter, add flour & stir until thick (should resemble a thick cake frosting consistency). Once cooled, stir in whipping cream.

4/ Add cooled roux, 3 egg-yolks & crushed spices into meat mixture.

5/ Whip the egg-whites until firm and fold into meat mixture.

6/ Line 3-4 bread-loaf pans w/ bacon & pour meat mixture into them. Add bacon ontop too. Freeze the ones you don't use & bake the rest for 1 hour 15 mins at 175 deg centigrade (sorry, you'll need to convert to US measurements).

maba is offline Senior Member

Thanks a bunch Nina! I can imagine how much better it must taste with pork-fat. Can I buy small jars of pork-fat/lard online? I've only seen those gigantic 5 gallon pails. My Hindu family is already quite freaked out about my diet. Don't want to scare them by storing those pails of lard in the house.

nina_70 Guest

I've always bought the lard fresh from the butcher. It's the natural layer of fat under the skin of the back of the pig. So, haven't tried it any other way. If you tell your butcher you're making Pate with it, he'll know what to give you. You can have a look at what a "strip" of fat looks like here:

http://www.chow.com/ingredients/179

You might be able to buy online too, I'm sure.

Yeah, I can imagine your Hindu family is a bit freaked out by the Primal diet Thankfully, Danes consider fat & meat sensible food groups, although younger generations are going towards the low-fat/high-carb trend.

I always loved little chicken hearts, sauteed and then mixed in with rice (guess I need to find a new recipe for this now ;-). But I never thought about how to prepare and eat a large heart!

nina_70 Guest

Oh...I'm on a roll now (and dreaming about pâté’s....oh, drool, drool). Of course, the French make a bunch of delicious pâté’s and they also use pork liver regularly. Found this site:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ampagne-105269

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast