Thread: Colonscopy Prep & Fasting page

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member

Colonscopy Prep & Fasting

Shop Now
    Hey everyone,

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for a week from tomorrow. I am only 21, but am having it done because my bloodwork came back with an elevated risk for colitis, something that runs in the family.

Anywho, as anyone that's had it done knows, you must fast for the entire day beforehand, plus sleeping hours on either end of that day. So I'm looking at a 36-40 hour fast here.

I am new to IF and did it once last week, so I wouldn't say I'm used to it. I am going to IF twice before my fast day, eating only between 1 and 4 pm to start prepping myself for this kind of hunger. But a 40 hour fast is way beyond IF parameters. Any recommendations for prepping for this? Any ideas for what to eat the day before? Anyone want to share their experience?

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry too much about 'practicing' fasting, just deal with it. Have plenty of good light reading material, a movie to watch or something to keep your mind off it. If you're already PBing you shouldn't find it as bad as if you were still on the blood sugar rollercoaster.

I ate quite lightly the day before, can't recall exactly what - chicken I think. The worst thing I found was getting down that disgusting drink, and such a huge volume of it. There's different ones, the one I had was many liters and the effects took a while, while there's another one which isn't such a large volume and tends to do the job in a shorter time.

Really what you eat probably doesn't make a great deal of difference within reason. So long as you carefully follow the timings and instructions you are given.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. On the day, I told the doctor I was very scared (I'm a chicken!) and they kept me 'under' the whole time, one minute I was chatting to the nurse and next thing I knew I was waking up feeling fine. No ill effects at all though my guts felt a bit icky the next day.

So try not to worry too much.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

apple is offline Senior Member
    The fasting part is easy--the liquid laxative is the tough part! It is very filling and yucky, and when it started to do its stuff, it made me pretty nauseous. Drink plenty of water up until the time you have to stop having any liquids. All the eliminations can be dehydrating so you want to try to counteract that. Have a book in the bathroom with you. Don't plan on going anywhere while you are on the drink.

Also, because that laxative cleans almost everything out of you, get a really good probiotic to take for the next couple of weeks! If it turns out that you have colitis, the probiotic should help with that too. I ended up having Crohn's and the medication they put me on did next to nothing for me. The probiotics have always done much more.

Don't worry too much about the fast. 40 hours won't seem too long--just sleep 10 on either side if you can!

gordo is offline Senior Member
    When I did mine, I drank lots of sugar water(pre-primal) - fruit juice, lemonade. I felt so incredibly crappy that I vowed to just do a water fast next time. Now I understand why I felt so bad.

Gordo

apple is offline Senior Member
    They advise clear liquids only! So if you're inclined to drink something like diet sprite, that would be okay, even if not primal. But not diet coke, or cranberry juice, or anything like that.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I don't recall having to fast very long. I think it was under 24 hours - I don't remember it being difficult. I remember I drank chicken stock. The worst part is drinking all that "clean you out" liquid.

kandc88 is offline Member
    You can make yourself some jello and popsicles the day before, sometimes you just want more than liquid. You can suck on hard candy too. If you're doing one of the large quanty liquid preps you may need this between cups. I'd call and ask for the movie prep or osmo prep, they are pills and by far the best prep. Having Crohn's, I've done quite a few. Actually there is a miralax prep that is very easy also and except for the liquid having a weird thick texture, it doesn't taste bad.

Ditto keeping reading material in the bathroom as well as a clear path to it!

Plan to do something out that keeps you busy for the first part of the day, hydrate as much as possible. I find a low-sugar electrolyte solution to be best. Don't use gatorade or other high sugar drinks, they'll make you feel much worse. Come home and do the prep. Sometimes they want you to get up early to do part 2. I never do this. I always time part 1 and two to do the night before so I can get some sleep. For example want to go to bed at 10, finish drinking prep #2 by 8, maybe even 6 or 7, allow a few hours to prep #1, which I usually plan to finish around 4 or 5.

Day of is no biggie. Does that make sense. Be glad to answer and questions.