Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Born to Run page 2

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Loved this book! Really motivated me to run more and with a different foot strike. Also has made me long for Vibram FFs. Time to read it second time to gear up for the spring!

eisenreich is offline Member
    Fantastic book, among the best I read last year. It was the last little push I needed to get into running ultras and I've been loving it since.

Just found out I made the lottery for the Bull Run Run 50 miler and I plan on running that as primal as possible.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich View Post
    Fantastic book, among the best I read last year. It was the last little push I needed to get into running ultras and I've been loving it since.

Just found out I made the lottery for the Bull Run Run 50 miler and I plan on running that as primal as possible.
    That's awesome! I am a huge fan of 5K's but after now finishing Born to Run I wish to run in a few marathons. It won't happen this year but I can see myself completing a marathon in 2012 barefoot or in my VFF.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Great book. Don't get so fired up that you overdo it. He minimizes just how much rehab some people need. Start slowly, and fully barefoot if you have the courage. That tends to keep the miles down and lets you ramp up slowly. It's quite possible, and common, to run with poor form in VFFs. That's a short road to injury since you are now running badly with no support.

Gordo
    Strongly agree with Gordo. McDougal (author of Born to Run) does not stress the importnace of a very slow ramp up and building foot strength. Lot so finjury possibility from over-exuberance. I recommend you spend as much time this winter in barefeet as possible to build foot strength.

There are lots of good resources at runners world forum: http://www.newrunner.com/community/f...f-0f12bf559034 and a google discussion group (which I think is the better of the two): http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/topics?hl=en

tuckdaddy is offline Junior Member

PB and long distance

I really enjoyed "Born to Run" and was thinking about getting into longer distance running. But that book led me to learning about paleo and I've been listening to interviews with Mark Sisson. He seems to say the exact opposite, that we didn't evolve for the long distance hunting that McDougal talks about... who's right?

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Bumping this b/c I found a few threads on this yet, but not yet the answer to the question I have - McDougall's focus on the diet of lots of fruits and vegetables, salads for breakfast, basically true vegetarian (not a grainatarian like so many actually are). Do they really eat like this? How?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Do they really eat like this? How?
    Jurek is vegan. From what I hear, a very smart guy who spends a lot of time and energy and uses a lot of technology to stay healthy. The rest of the diet stuff in BTR is romanticism, IMO. He has an audience to entertain, after all, and vegetarianism has broad appeal.

Gordo

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    I loved the book too. I've retired from running though since reading it and really understanding what the long distance stuff does to your body. It isn't good - Art De Vany is VERY anti-endurance running for the metronomic stress it puts your heart through and of course Mark is a former marathoner so really knows what he's talking about. History is littered with the premature deaths of endurance athletes. Grete Waitz died just last week aged 57 ...
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Shaun S is offline Junior Member
    Add me to the list of people who really loved the book. I've hated the idea of distance running for my whole life (always was overweight), but this book made me want to get out and RUN. I even already had a pair of VFFs, as a kettlebeller. Fortunately, given what I've learned here about overdoing endurance exercise, I never really got into it hardcore.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    Art De Vany is VERY anti-endurance running for the metronomic stress it puts your heart through and of course Mark is a former marathoner so really knows what he's talking about.
    De Vany is an egotistical ass who cherry-picks his studies. While I like Mark much more on all fronts, he IS selling a prepackaged lifestyle to mostly sedentary people. Telling them that they don't have to work hard or suffer is a huge selling point ... Bottom line, their exercise philosophy is geared for non-athletes. I even agree that doing only PB is better than doing only chronic cardio if you're only going to do one or the other. I think that pitching it the way he does is smart. I'm not busting Mark's chops. I would pitch it the exact same way. Anyone serious about reaching their full potential isn't going to listen anyway, so why bother with them? Help the people you CAN help.

Here's an example of what long-term running does to you: longer life and less disability. Sounds good to me.

Running slows the aging clock, Stanford researchers find - Office of Communications & Public Affairs - Stanford University School of Medicine

Gordo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast