Thread: Hominy - not so bad? page

mmcc is offline Junior Member

Hominy - not so bad?

Primal Fuel
    Hominy, while made from corn, is treated with a process called nixtamalization, where it is treated with a caustic solution. This makes it more digestible and nutritious. Plus, it is a major ingredient of posole, which I love.

Where do you think hominy falls with regards to its primal-ness?

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    Not. Sorry.

It's a grass that has been bred for human consumption and therefore cannot be PB. You have to understand, this breaks my heart as a native New Mexican. I love my posole.

Maybe reserve it for those rare cheats?

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcc View Post
    where it is treated with a caustic solution. This makes it more digestible and nutritious.
    Originally I would have written "no" because corn is a grain. I think caustic solutions fall into the avoid poisonous things category.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Nixtamalization is just the process used for making cornmeal for tortillas, etc. Everything we eat has been bred for human consumption, including grass fed cows. I eat a few tortillas per week. And tamales for a once in a while treat.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.