Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not eating enough page

Zigmund555 is offline Junior Member

Not eating enough

Shop Now
    Anyone have any tricks for getting in enough calories?

Male, 5'10", haven't weighed in a few weeks but probably somewhere 200-206 (could be lower). I walk a few miles every day at work just from checking in on things, and just started crossfit at night (planning on 5-6 days a week once I get in the groove).

Looking at fit day for today, I'm at 1,476 cals.. 67g fat, 61g carbs, 161g protein. I eat when I'm hungry, till I'm not hungry. Even at only 1,476 cals, I'm not hungry.

I try to IF, I normally finish dinner by 8:30 p.m. and eat lunch at noon.

Should I just start eating some spoonfuls of coconut oil?

Are calories that low really a problem? I'm trying for body recomp.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about it, if you are feeling good. I imagine your body will get hungrier as you gear up on the crossfit.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Wow that is pretty low man, I eat at least 1500 more than that and still sometimes feel hungry. I guess I like eating too much to NOT get enough calories

Kaeden is offline Senior Member
    I'd evaluate why you want to eat more. If you have specific goals that require more food, then put more in your mouth. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    As long as you're getting enough protein for your lean mass I wouldn't worry about it.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

And having such a high percentage of calories from protein is going to keep you satiated longer than the same amount of fat or carbs would.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Primarily my goal is recomposition, but gaining strength via crossfit is important too.

My concern is that fit day is thinking I burn about 3,000 cal/day, not including my workouts. At 1,600 cals or so a day, I should be dropping fat quickly, but I'm not.

I just want to make sure I'm not sabotaging myself, like some sort of self-preservation instinct to hold fat due to big calorie deficit (or is that incorrect?).

Basically I eat when I'm hungry, don't when I'm not, and eat my big meal post workout.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I re-read your original post. Sorry I misread your totals!

Yes, your calorie deficit may be too low to drop body fat. Also, your fat is too low as a percentage of your total calories.

Try adding some more fat to your diet for the next month and see what happens. Cheese is good if you can tolerate it. Try to get your %s around 70% Fat, 20% Protein, 10% carb.

Well, the first week was a failure.

I brought my cals up from ~1400-1500 a day to ~2000-2200 a day. At least 200g protein a day (1 g / lb bodyweight). I followed the leangains plan, higher cals on workout days (crossfit), lower on rest day. Result, I gained 4 pounds so far this week..

In theory it could just be some water since I brought my carbs up from 20 or less a day to about 40 a day, but jeez.

I think my maintenance calories is around 1500, which for a 207 lb guy is just wrong. I've always had a slow metabolism, but c'mon... :P

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigmund555 View Post
    At least 200g protein a day (1 g / lb bodyweight).
    That's a guideline for lean people. I think of it as a maximum number as well. I think you're getting way too much protein. Try 100g.

Gordo

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    That's a guideline for lean people. I think of it as a maximum number as well. I think you're getting way too much protein. Try 100g.

Gordo
    I disagree - if he is consuming very few carbs he needs that protein to fuel his gluconeogenesis especially as someone who will be training extensively and intensely. You can constrict one macronutrient and generally be ok - two though and that's getting pretty nuts.

OP - what is your eating schedule? What is your exercise schedule? How much sleep do you get a night? How much salt/sodium do you consume?

additionally could you please write out two days *OF EVERYTHING YOU EAT* here. Condiments, 3 pistachios etc.

Additionally you do not need to worry about calorie restriction while doing crossfit (especially STARTING Crossfit) in order to lose weight. Do the WODs and you will achieve the body comp you are aiming for (at least in leanness). Don't try and restrict calories while doing crossfit 6 days a week - your energy will drop and your intensity will also.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast