Thread: Primal Before Mark? page

Curiousfarmer Guest

Shop Now

Check out this quote from my favorite author, John D. MacDonald in the book, "Cinnamon Skin." It was written in 1982.

"One very sound rule for the care of the body is always keep in mind what it was designed to do. The body was shaped by the need to run long distances on resilient turf, to run very fast for short distances, to climb trees, and to carry loads back to the cave, so any persistent exercise you do which is not a logical part of that ancient series of uses is , in general, bad for the body. A succession of deep knee bends is destructive, in time. As are too many pushups. As is selective muscle development through weight-lifting. As is jogging on hard surfaces. A couple of years of such jogging and you are very likely never to walk in comfort again. Man is a walking animal, perfectly designed for it. The only more efficeint human energy use is the bicyle."

Anyone else come across anyone primal before Mark?

gnosis is offline Junior Member

yes, Cordain's book and Michael Jen's ideas on exercise and body structure

tman Guest

Check out Art DeVany at www.arthurdevany.com. I started reading his stuff first and he referenced Mark on occasion. His blog requires payment but it is interesting. He also has a DVD lecture that he gave about a year ago on evolutionary fitness.

Tarlach is offline Member

I have been eating paleo for well over three years. There has always been a lot of info around about food. Not so much with food and lifestyle mixed together.

That was something I had to figure out for myself.

Mark was the first I saw to create a primal lifestyle that most people could jump into.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Paneristi is offline Member

tman

"Check out Art DeVany at http://www.arthurdevany.com. I started reading his stuff first and he referenced Mark on occasion. His blog requires payment but it is interesting. He also has a DVD lecture that he gave about a year ago on evolutionary fitness"

Had a look but felt that unlike this site Devany's can be construed as promoting commercial ventures. Some examples; links to selling his DVD's made with the intention of bringing attention to items that are for sale or to a commercial enterprise.

tman Guest

PrimalCon New York

Paneristi-That is interesting. Before DeVany went to a private blog he was probably the least commercial thing out there. In my opinion he is/was(?)much less commercial than this web site. Just my opinion. I actually applaud his going to a private blog and doing a seminar that he could sell. He had a huge audience and was just giving it all away-a nice thing to do but why? Anyway, that is my 2 cents.