Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing something wrong? Was losing but plateaued already? page

Am I doing something wrong? Was losing but plateaued already?

Primal Fuel
    My first 2 weeks I lost pretty much 10lbs and a belt loop, I was totally ecstatic. Here I am another 2 weeks later, and I've actually gained some scale weight now (About 5lbs, wtf?), still down a belt loop. I'm eating pretty much all the same stuff which is confusing to me. I've been very conscious about buying/eating anything with sugar/HFCS/Grains/Legumes/ or any of their derivatives. Typical day:

No breakfast (I've never really liked eating breakfast and have always found it to be a "forced" meal. Which was one of the great things I liked about PB, eat when you want). Occasionally (Maybe once or twice a week) I'll have several pieces (Like a half dozen or so) of bacon, some ground sausage patties, or a4-5 egg omelet with any of the aforementioned mixed in.

Lunch: Big ass salad. Romain lettuce, black and green olives, purple onion, banana peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, bell peppers, sliced turkey,ham, roastbeef, with an oil/vinegar dressing.

Dinner: Hamburgers, thin steak, pork chops, baked chicken, stir-fried Kale with olive oil and garlic, same with spinach, rotisserie chicken from a grocery store (Always very careful to make sure I get one that doesn't have any bad grains or sugars/engineered stuff in it).

Water is my main fluid.

Occasionally, but rarely:

Whey Protien shake mixed with water only.
    Straight sliced ham/turkey.
    Beef Hotdogs (I know...not primal, probably a contributing factor. I didn't buy anymore when I went to the store this last time)
    Grilled ka-bobs at a eat out restaurant.
    Western Omelet at a eat out restaurant.
    V8 juice less than 3 times a week.
    Unsweetened tea, less than 3 times a week.
    Baked sweet potato, only once or twice a week..

I haven't really cheated any, that I am aware of at least, which is why I'm confused. I am eating a little bit more cheese in the omelets and eggs, and thats really about the only change I can think of. Could that be doing it? I'm exercising slightly more now than I was but not enough to contribute muscle build to the increase in weight I don't think. I'm about 215 now at 5'10 and its not all muscle by any stretch heh. So now I'm basically a month in, and have lost about 4lbs according to the scales. I feel fine other than a slightly irritated stomach every now and then so I think the carb flu is over, I definitely had it the first week.

Does anyone have any input or ideas for me?

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    Others can break down your diet better I am sure, but a lot of the first weight lost is water weight. Eating salty food (like hot dogs and cheese) can bring a lot of that water weight back, as can just simply being properly hydrated for once (most people are chronically dehydrated).

So long as the trend is down, and so long as your body composition is still getting better (smaller belly, etc...) then don't sweat the weight. If you're eating right, it WILL come off.

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    can i just add dont sweat the scales in the early stages .. feel the changes in yr clothes... make sure yr doing the Move slowly part as often as you should be etc

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    What Yaish and kiwineil said.

I noticed big changes initially, as you did, and then saw things kind of plateau out. Hell, I had a 3-week period where I stayed at 183 lb and wasn't seeing too many body changes. I just kept at it and moved past the plateau, almost overnight. Have faith! Plateaus are part of it. Something proactive you can do is slightly alter your workouts -- instead of doing pull-ups, do chin-ups, for instance. Just shake a few little things up, but I wouldn't worry too much about what you're eating as I'm not seeing any real red flags there.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Thanks for the input and assurances, I am/was starting to get a little bit discouraged. I'm going to keep at it though and change the work-out routine a bit. I tend to do most of it across a day or two instead of the week like the plan in the eBook recommends. I'm going to try transitioning towards that.

Fredneck is offline Junior Member
    Be patient, weight loss is not linear. There are natural sticking points, followed by a swoosh.

I guess I'll also be learning patience during this life transformation, which has never been a virtue of mine

apple is offline Senior Member
    Be really careful eating out! The omelets in restaurants usually have pancake batter in the eggs to fluff them up--meaning wheat. Sometimes it helps to fake a wheat allergy!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Other than avoiding eating out if you can, your food sounds awesome--better than I'm eating!

Ignore the scale...keep eating real food. Sounds to me like you're doing great.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Hmmm...thats interesting you say that. I wonder if thats what could be doing it?? I'll definitely have to ask and check on that a little further. I know the one local restaurant cooks them like normal eggs (ie thin and sorta runny) but the other place I go to occasionally has the "fluffy" ones. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast