Thread: Would Jack have cracked 100 without grains? page

Dave_o is offline Senior Member

Would Jack have cracked 100 without grains?

Primal Fuel
    At the risk of using the exception to prove the rule, you cant argue with the facts.
    Jack LaLanne was a low fat / whole grain advocate who was vigorous, healthy, strong and lean basically his entire - very long - adult life.

By the same token, its not hard to find someone who tells you 'my great uncle so and so, drank and smoked every day and his life and lived to be 95' - though they probably weren't dragging people round in boats in Long Beach Harbor at 80..

So while many of the tenets of Jacks diet run parallel to 'primal' ideas, many are polar opposites, which for me poses the question - are we ultimately just playing out our genetic programing and that's that?
    What do you think?

I thought Jacks Playboy interview was great, here's his Q & A on diet.
    That shake - yuck!
    Maby referring to oneself in the third person is another secret to longevity..

Q3 Playboy: What's your secret? Wheaties?

Lanne: Sometimes I have a Jack La Lanne Diet Shake, a product I've had out for about 20 years now. Or one of the five Jack La Lanne breakfast cereals. They're all natural grains--no white sugar, no white flour, no salt, no fats. I'm more and more into grains these days; also raw fish. I eat sashimi almost every day--though not for breakfast. But mainly, I have about 400 vitamin supplements for breakfast right after I work out.

I put them in a blender and make a high-protein drink. I use a quart of carrot and celery juice, half and half, then put in two heaping tablespoons of wheat germ, two more of nonfat-milk solids, two more of high-strain brewers' yeast, then a heaping tablespoon of bone meal and a banana. Then I put in 100 liver-yeast tablets, 15,000 milligrams of vitamin C, 2000 units of B, some boron and some zinc; also 75 alfalfa-and-kelp tablets. Then I blend it and drink it. It's one of the worst-tasting health drinks you could have, but I still drink it, because it's the perfect breakfast. It's got about 40 grams of protein, all the B-complex vitamins, everything that's natural from the carrot and celery juices, the enzymes, the trace elements, calcium and potassium from the bone meal. And it's very low in calories. After you work out like me, you're not hungry; you're thirsty.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    jack would have cracked 100 without pneumonia.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    His brother actually lived a year longer so one has to wonder whether any of it affects the actual length of life. It's more about quality and being healthy to the end. He did develop a bit of a pronounced stoop later on and perhaps that can be attributed to shunning red meat and egg yolks, either way you'd do well to be half as fit at that age.

i tend to think that the stoop comes from not doing back extension work. i know a lot of yogins his age who do not have the stoop. also died around the same age (or between 99 and 100). some were vegetarian, too.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I think it's frickin hilarious that you guys are sitting around the internet criticizing JACK LALLANE'S lifestyle. I don't even know what to say...

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Jack lived an energetic, fulfilled life. He simply loved life which is what its all about. Primal or not primal one needs to ask themselves.. am I enjoying life? If you say no then you need to do some thinking...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Geez, that drink. I think I'll take my chances with the eggs and baco!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I think it's frickin hilarious that you guys are sitting around the internet criticizing JACK LALLANE'S lifestyle. I don't even know what to say...
    Who's criticizing?

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    that drink looks amazing...ly horrible

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i didn't criticize. had he not gotten pneumonia, he likely would not have passed. sadly, he got pneumonia, and i have no idea why. it totally sucks that he got pneumonia, and as one of my personal heros, i am totally crushed that he's passed.

i am not making any judgments about him *at all*. sure, i wouldn't drink that much juice, or have whatever he's eating that's quoted up there, but the man was *the bomb* and i love him dearly, and i think about his wife and children often, as it must have been difficult -- and a bit of a shock -- to loose him.