twoidhd is offline Member

Question about my most recent blood work

Primal Fuel
    In early Sept of last year I had my blood work done. The results were:

Total cholesterol 182
    HDL 50
    Trg 66
    LDL 118

And then on the 28th of Jan had them done again but by my heart doc instead of my GP

Total cholesterol 272
    HDL 69
    Trg 62
    LDL 191

Back in sept I was on Zetia. My GP had said a couple of times that they may be about to prove that Zetia didn't do anything for cholesterol. He changed my medication to Niaspan.

So.....two of three show an improvement but on is "worse" by conventional wisdom standards. What do you guys think about all this?

BTW, I'm about to turn 55 with a pacemaker in my heart for 25years and in the last couple of years they know I have a heart valve that leaks slightly and one that leaks moderately.

Thanks

Jeff

peril is offline Senior Member
    The good news is that your GP clearly doesn't like statins.

Zetia has recently been shown to not have a positive clinical outcome, so I'm not surprised you were taken off it. According to Davis (just check Grizz' sig ) Niaspan too is ineffective. It is a slow release form of niacin.

However, your numbers have improved in two respects - increased HDL and decreased, if only marginally, Trigs. LDL is the joker here. Without a subfraction and lipid profile test it really doesn't tell you anything. Also, yours has been calculated not measured so must be taken with a grain of salt. Next time ask for a VAP test to get the subfractions and lipid profile

If you want to push up the HDL higher, increase your saturated fat intake and talk to your GP about nicotinic acid. It causes flushing, but I find it isn't a problem and passes quickly. My HDL is over a hundred on 3000mg of nicotinic acid a day (52, proven artherosclerosis)
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thanks for the info. I'm the one that doesn't like statins....they make my legs hurt like hell.

Looked up nicotinic acid and they don't recommend it for diabetics. I'm diabetic. Maybe a lower dose wouldn't jack up my blood sugar.

Jeff

peril is offline Senior Member
    Statins caused me knee problems.

No worries about the niacin. If you stick with strict PB you may find your diabetes (I'm presuming type 2) abates enough to consider nicotinic acid.

Good luck
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

My blood sugar is pretty low due to eating Paleo. You are probably right. Since I'm already controlling my BS I can probably take Niacin alright. I'll talk it over with my GP in March.

Jeff

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    More and more research is telling us that the conventional cholesterol tests tell us very little that's useful. Trigs are good which means that your liver is sufficiently insulin-sensitive to clear both fats and sugars from your bloodstream, and your HDL level indicates that the body's garbage-collection system is also running well, which means that inflammation is being kept under control. LDL is the delivery system -- could be delivering cholesterol to sites of inflammation (less likely in light of good HDL), or it could be delivering cholesterol and/or fats to cells for use.

Homocystine and CRP are considered to be more reliable indicators of risk, as well as the LDL Pattern finding from a VAP, GGE, or NMR test.

walkingbird is offline Member
    Measuring total cholesterol tells you nothing about your health. You have clearly lowered your tryglicerides, which is what really counts. Take a look at the chapter about cholesterol in Good Calories, Bad Calories. It opened my eyes on a lot of oversimplification that went into the cholesterol hypothesis that is detrimental to our health.
    By The Ancestral Fire - insights and opinions regarding primal living.

As a friend once said, "Bacon is the Journey of food. You may pretend to hate it, but secretly you still love it."