Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (wrinkledamanda) page

wrinkledamanda is offline Junior Member

I'm going to start my 30 day challenge today (as I'm typing this, my hands are shaking and my mind is saying, "Wait just one more day!"). Since I have a bunch of meat in the freezer already, I'm not going to go buy more atm, although I found a site that ships grass fed meat from 2 hours away. Problem is, I'll be spending probably over $100 every 2 weeks on food. But... it seems worth it. I'm so conflicted! I could go to my local butcher shop and get 90% lean beef 10 lbs. for $23, but which is better?

Anyway I decide, here are my rules:

1. Only meat for 30 days. Not necessarily only organic (I'm doing baby steps, I've decided), but as long as it's less than 5g carbs, I'm ok.

2. No soft drinks. Only water.

3. If I choose to drink alchohol, it must be red wine, and I can only "go overboard" once a week.

4. Try to eliminate coffee unless I can have it without any sweetener. If I can't, I'll go with tea.

------------------------------------------------------

So. Thus far, I've had a few pieces of salami for breakfast. Um... going well.

So, upon reading others' journals, I see that everyone's also tracking their progress as well as posting self-perscribed rules, and I like that.

Thus far, eating MOSTLY low carb (as opposed to Primal, which is more organic meats) for the past few weeks, I have not tracked my weight. One reason, because I don't own a scale, but also because I'm afraid of what the numbers would say. Instead, I'm keeping tabs on how I feel, energy levels, etc.

Right now, I feel so much thinner, and -haha- my stomach doesn't stick out past my boobs anymore. Overall, I just don't feel so jiggly and gross. I can't really tell if my pants are looser yet since I wear them fairly big anyways.

I am experiencing a lot of brain fog, particularly when waking up, but it seems to go away soon after (it may just be the coffee I'm drinking just minutes after posting in my rules that I'm not to drink it!).

Energy levels are slowly rising, I think. It's never been a secret that carbs have slowed me down and made me super tired for years. I cannot believe how eliminating grains and things makes breathing so much easer. It's crazy - I always thought it was because I ate too much and my stomache pushed on my lungs (is that even possible? haha).

Well, we'll see where this 30 day challenge takes me. As long as I don't gain weight, I'll be happy - hah! I'll weigh myself at my mom's in early November.

Next months challenge, I've already decided is going to be just like this one except with grass-fed meats -- unless, of course, I decide to purchase a bunch next paycheck.

Griff is offline Senior Member

One of the things you're discovering is how grains increase inflammation - and when you stop eating them, it's amazing how much easier it is to breathe (among other things). I personally had rheumatoid arthritis, IBS and migraines, and all of them disappeared when I cut out grains. And although I'm still having my seasonal fall nasal allergies, the effects are much less pronounced this year than in previous years, probably because I'm not eating wheat anymore.

I'd also like to suggest a cheaper alternative to meat - whole eggs (not just the whites, you NEED the yolks). I buy about four dozen a week, which is still less than $100 a month expenditure, and eat five to six every day. Look for cage-free, free-roaming if possible, and enhanced Omega-3. You'll know they're enhanced if their yolks are darker yellow or orange (orange is better and more flavorful). We eat meat too, every day, but eggs are a good protein and fat source as well.

The ratio I live by these days is 70-80% fat, 25-30% protein, and no more than 40g of carbs per day (and I try to hit below 30). Hope this alleviates your fears about "too much fat." No such thing!

Reading your posts, I have no doubt you'll succeed. Keep us updated on your progress!

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice, Griff! I'm so excited you posted on my journal! I love reading your posts. You're such a warm person and your posts always make me happy

I love eggs. They're so versatile, you can put anything in them, and I don't know why I don't eat more. I have to look for a place that sells free range.

Yeah, the breathing thing is huge for me, because I was getting scared about asthma and stuff like that. I, too, have a nearly debilitating problem with migranes. I have noticed that my seizures have cleared up (petite mal or something like that. My mind just loses the control of my body, so I stare off and my hands or whatever go on autopilot but mostly just don't move.), and just realized that I haven't actually had a migrane in the past week! Is that because of inflammation too?

Griff is offline Senior Member

Hi again wrinkledamanda: Yes, all of that could be due to gluten or grain intolerance in your body, which is now saying "FINALLY! YOU LISTENED TO ME!" I also used to have pinprick seizures like you're describing; that's now a thing of the past for me.

I'm convinced that my late father's migraines and other health problems were directly related to a wheat allergy. They tried everything and nothing helped, but they never looked at his diet. I'm sorry he never got the benefit of primal nutrition.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

It's a shame that nobody looks at their diet. So many of people's problems are because of diet, but instead of taking a look at that we cover up the symptoms by taking meds without ever looking at the source. I read somewhere this weekend that food is medicine - and we're medicating ourselves with toxic processed crap that resembles nothing like what nature already provides. I've always known this, I just didn't know what was the right diet and medicine. It's amazing how I feel when I eat right.

I've been thinking about asking the bf if he'll go on a 20 minute walk with me after work. He could benefit from excersize, too. We could just take a nice little walk through the park. It'll be a great way to decrease stress and get us both out into nature (which has always calmed and stabled me so), and elevate our moods.

I've decided that I'm definately going for the grass-fed food this next Thursday. There is no reason not to.

I've also definately decided to just cut the coffee. I'm drinking tea right now, and feel superb. I only got about 4 hours of sleep today, but I'm not tired yet - which is amazing in itself! - and part of it I think is due to the fact that I laid in bed for a little bit stretching and lightly breathing and thinking about what I'm going to do in order to get ready for work instead of jumping out of bed and being pissed off the whole time I'm getting ready. No complaints! I should feel lucky I have a job and an apartment.

I just love salmon smothered in olive oil and parmesan cheese and basil. I had that just now and it rocked.

Man, I am not doing well. The coffee thing isn't going badly (I broke down and had a cup with 1 1/2 tbsp sugar yesterday and might again today -- that's not horrible, right? Maybe it is...), and I made strong black tea and had a bunch of that tonight.

The food part is going so well, but it's the booze I'm lovin on too much.

I had 2 small bottles of wine and 3 beers. And a shot of vodka. Well... maybe two. See, I need to write it down so I can lay it out in front of my own eyes. I'm getting worried about addiction. I didn't realize I drank so much until I tried to stop. It's something to think about.

janagram is offline Senior Member

all those beverages in one sitting???????

well....I like booze too, and hubby makes it! Its omnipresent! I keep it to a minimum (compared to former days). Lst night though, I had a shot of bourbon, and hours later a shot of hubby's Port! so delicious!

Yeah, all of those in one sitting... And it's not like relaxing on a day off, either. I do this on a work night (morning). I reeeeally need to cut it back. I didn't have any today, though, so that's good. I've just got to take it day by day.

In better news, I IF'd without even trying! I didn't realize I was doing it until my stomach started growling and I just made a passing choice not to eat. It was more of a, "Lets see how things go" than a conscious choice, actually, and I'm still not hungry, not dizzy, not grouchy, not tired. I had a little bit of shrimp at around 1:20 am on 10/5, and when I got home around 8:00 am, I had 2 small minute steaks and haven't eaten since, though I don't feel any different. It's... amazing. I'm constantly in awe of how my body is adapting to this new way of eating, and I gotta say, I'm really enjoying it. I even reccomended a friend from a different forum because she's in the same sinking boat I was in.

I finished reading the book today, and those last couple chapters were full of inspiring advice on basically how to spend money, do things because it's fun, and just how to enjoy life. I know a lot of people who forget about this so often and they're suffering because if it. My mom, for instance, constantly asks me when I'm going to grow up (My answer is, If I survive 2012). Well, I've got a job which is a feat in itself in these times, a bf whom I love unconditionally, a crappy apartment that's really small, but maybe that's a huge sign for me to toss some unnecessary material things - and not buy more - and I don't see why I should change any of that right now because I'm happy! She mocked me vehemently for a long time because I told her I liked being poor (one can romanticize it so that it looks glamorous), and I do. It forces me to stay humble and grounded. Money isn't everything. I'd rather have time for friends and family (but also have enough to keep myself afloat of course) than have a career that keeps me away from things I love. If that's bad, then I'll keep living wrong.

I've got it. I've finally found the solution to help me not drink. For one thing, thwere's a website that I enjoy visiting when I'm down because it makes me feel better that there are people who fu** their lives worse than I can. It's textsfromlastnight.com. It's hilarious and a great mind-numbing read, but I realized earlier that it really makes me want to drink. So, no more of that. I'm banned. Surprisingly, that was a huge factor. But...

Cher has always been a huge idol of mine, and I recall an interview where she said she never drank and never smoked. Wow. She really is an amazing role model. <3

I&#39;m getting my sh** together!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast