Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Conventional Wisdom comebacks page

packattack22 is offline Junior Member

Conventional Wisdom comebacks

Shop Now
    It seems every time I try to bring up paleo living to friend or family member they instantly get on the defense. No matter how many facts I reply with they just bring more conventional wisdom comebacks, and I would like to share some.

(Dad thinks it's just 'Organic' food)
    "Look at everyone 50 years ago, they all ate organic food, and they were lucky to live to 30. I think all the chemicals in food now make us live longer."

"What's the point of eating healthy if you're going to die anyways? I'm going to put on your headstone 'ate healthy, died anyway'."

"10,000 years is long enough to evolve to eat grains." #1 comeback I always get.

"Look how much the population has grown since we started farming, we wouldn't have technology or anything if we still hunted and gathered"

"I'm just with all the smart people, there is a reason we don't eat like that anymore."
    "If it's so good for you than why wouldn't everyone know about it?"
    "Then why are grains in the food pyramid?"

you get the point, they never argue with facts. It's all just knee jerk, emotional, ingrained knowledge reactions. It's awful because I care about these people, but they won't listen. Why are people so closed minded? please share your most common comebacks you encounter.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    "Look how much the population has grown since we started farming, we wouldn't have technology or anything if we still hunted and gathered"
    This one may actually have merit. In Cordain's paper "Cereal Grains: Humanity's Double-Edged Sword" he concludes:
    Cereal grains are truly humanity’s double-edged sword. For without them,
    our species would likely have never evolved the complex cultural and technological
    innovations which allowed our departure from the hunter-gatherer
    niche. However, because of the dissonance between human evolutionary nutritional
    requirements and the nutrient content of these domesticated grasses,
    many of the world’s people suffer disease and dysfunction directly attributable
    to the consumption of these foods.
    edit to add link to paper: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles...%20article.pdf
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I haven't really gotten any flak but then I haven't talked about it with very many people. My husband and my father agree it sounds like a good plan. My dad is a Type II diabetic who got off meds going low carb so I'm preaching to the choir with him. One friend I talked to was a bit shocked at the high fat but I told her about the research and that seemed to be enough. She still swore she could never give up pasta. That's more the reaction I get. People don't try to talk me out of it, they just are horrified at the prospect of a life without grains.

Of course, when I describe what I'm doing it's a bit more of a soft sell. I have an auto-immune condition so I say that I'm experimenting with eliminating grains due to research that they may be a cause. I already avoided sugar. The response is usually the question, "Oh so you're doing low carb, like Atkins." To which my general reply is that it's not as low carb giving me more room to have plenty of fresh veg. I just concentrate on eating plenty of organic, local produce, meat, good fats and a small amount of things like nuts and dairy. Basically whole, natural foods. Of course, they might be horrified if I go into detail on what our idea of good fats is since the lipid hypothesis for heart disease is still deeply ingrained. If they ask more, I can go into further detail about the research.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packattack22 View Post

"What's the point of eating healthy if you're going to die anyways? I'm going to put on your headstone 'ate healthy, died anyway'."
    My response to this one is easy. "I feel 10x better eating this way, so even if I get hit by a bus and die next week, I'm going to feel good till then."
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    This one may actually have merit. In Cordain's paper "Cereal Grains: Humanity's Double-Edged Sword" he concludes:

edit to add link to paper: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles...%20article.pdf
    I completely agree, and understand this concept. I just think it's irrational of my friends to claim this as a golden reason as to why this diet is insufficient.

Paleobird Guest
    Most people I talk to about it can get on board with "all natural" and even with cutting out the carbs from grains. Even if they don't like living without pasta, there is enough evidence to show that it works. The part about PB that is the sticking point is the red meat with fat=heart attack mindset.

I have even gave a copy of the book to a friend of mine who is extremely obese, and he thinks it's all hogwash. He is a big time believer that humans can eat almost anything. Which is true, we are great at surviving on what is available. However, there is a giant difference between surviving, and eating optimally. I thought for sure if he read the book I would have a primal buddy, but nope.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i don't talk about it, unless it absolutely has to come up, and then, i just say "ok" to them.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Most people I talk to about it can get on board with "all natural" and even with cutting out the carbs from grains. Even if they don't like living without pasta, there is enough evidence to show that it works. The part about PB that is the sticking point is the red meat with fat=heart attack mindset.
    Someone said that to me about red meat and I throw back, "my mom passed away from a massive heart attack 4 yrs ago and she rarely ate red meat but ate grains". That usually makes them think.
    Georgette

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packattack22 View Post
    "Look at everyone 50 years ago, they all ate organic food, and they were lucky to live to 30. I think all the chemicals in food now make us live longer."
    Do you know someone that actually thinks this? Lolz, that's the most ridiculous statement I've read today.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast