Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming off antidepressants...how to help the detox along? page

dakini is offline Senior Member

Coming off antidepressants...how to help the detox along?

Primal Fuel
    I've been on antidepressants for over two years. I do have a history of depression but was able to get off meds while trying to conceive my daughter. But then PPD hit. However, I am now trying to get off the meds again (with the permission of my doctor).

Anyone have any ideas on how to get over the detox faster? or at least minimize the symptoms?

My brain is foggy, I'm exhausted, and my stomach's wonky. This is pretty par for the course for me.

I have been fully primal since the beginning of January, and off and on before that. This is almost like the carb flu, but I am past that.

Any help appreciated.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    go SLOW. the symptoms are MUCH worse if you don't take your time tapering.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Depends on what type of AD you were on-SSRI, MAOI, tricyclic, etc.

Julia Ross's book The Mood Cure was VERY helpful when I was getting my sis detoxed from Lexapro (which is a bitch to get off of, BTW-at least, it was for her!)

Low Dose naltrexone is very helpful, and also safe for use during pregnancy (at <4.5 mgs a day, it reduces risk of miscarriage), and increases endorphin production.

5HTP or tryptophan, GABA, and DLPA are the aminos that I used on K-we swapped back and forth with the trypto and 5HTP as a) it didn't affect her to change and b) our supply was somewhat limited here in town.

All of the above are safe during pregnancy as well, as I understand it. (Especially when compared to AD's.)

Wonky stomach, to me, says low serontinin-which would be helped by tryptophan or 5HTP....serontinin receptors are in the gut as well as the brain...Are you taking vitamin D supps? Given that it's PPD-have they tested thyroid, and by testing, I mean running not just a TSH, but also a

Free T3
    Free T4
    Anti-Thyroglobulin
    Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase
    Have you had sex hormones checked? Are you nursing? How milk supply, if so? (relates to sex hormone and thyroid hormone levels).

I have the book, so PM me if you can't find it in a reasonable amount of time.

Sending you a pm anyway...
    Last edited by Eklecktika; 02-01-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: delete a name used by mistake!

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    OK, so I can't pm you. Are you dakini at RTH as well?

packattack22 is offline Junior Member
    I'm not a health professional but I am firm believer that you can use a dry suana to kick anything. It's for sure worth a look.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    There's a lot being written about magnesium supplementation helping with depression and anxiety. I feel so much calmer since I started using it. I really noticed a difference when I switched to magnesium taurate by Cardiovascular Research. I would think it would help you wean off of your anti-depressant.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Suze is offline Member
    I'm finding this thread really interesting. Not sure if you have insurance for this but laser therapy can reduce symptoms of withdrawl and obsessive thoughts (I used it to quit smoking) Also acupunsture can help stimulate your liver and kidneys to work faster so elimination is quicker.

melsie is offline Junior Member
    Unfortunately with SSRIs and the like you'll have to live with the half-life of the medication.. so time is the key. Have your dr prescribe you down doses to help taper off, that will help with the withdrawal symptoms. Exercise helps a lot with the symptoms of withdraw and will help with your mood during transitional time, so make sure to get your exercise on. Walks, runs, whatever floats your boat.

Namasteak is offline Senior Member
    I had a lot of success with Depression Free Naturally.

dakini is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks everyone!

I'm not sure what RTH is...

Just so you all know, I'm not pregnant and not trying, just last time I did this I was doing it in prep for trying to conceive.

I am tapering, but because I am super sensitive to medication (even my doctor agreed when I told him that non-drowsy med will make me sleepy) any changes affect me a lot. And because the amounts are now down to nothing, my body's rebelling worse. I was on Ciprilex (I might have spelled that wrong) and it's better than Paxil was, but still not fun at all.

As for exercise, I'm not feeling it at all. My mood is actually fine, it's just the physical symptoms that are killer - headache, foggy head, upset stomach, exhausted.

I am already taking magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin Bs, Omega 3 fish oils, as well as a multivitamin and have been for a few months.

I haven't been tested for thyroid for years, maybe I should again. When I was it was fine.

Thanks for all the help. I am feeling a little better today, but still feeling it. I will definitely keep working at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast