Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye organic beef and vegetables in America page

Bushrat is offline Senior Member

Goodbye organic beef and vegetables in America

Shop Now
    Monsanto has approval to plant GM alfafa and no one has to keep track:

http://www.alternet.org/story/149716/

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    That is just plain scary. Here's hoping they don't do something equally stupid over here!

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Might be ok yet, their opponents seem to have a time machine:

There will be no tracking, no notification system, and no responsibility on the part of Monsanto for any business that is lost as a result of the genetic contamination that is certain to result.

Beastman is offline Senior Member
    The article doesn't really go into why genetically engineered alfalfa is bad. What did they change? How does that affect the cows and the nutrient make-up of the beef/dairy that they produce? I would say that "GE foods" are much more prevalent than most people realize and that it's not always a bad thing. Anyone have any insight into what is bad about this alfalfa? or is it just because it was "genetically altered"?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastman View Post
    The article doesn't really go into why genetically engineered alfalfa is bad. What did they change? How does that affect the cows and the nutrient make-up of the beef/dairy that they produce? I would say that "GE foods" are much more prevalent than most people realize and that it's not always a bad thing. Anyone have any insight into what is bad about this alfalfa? or is it just because it was "genetically altered"?
    What could ever be wrong with regular alfalfa though?

I think this is an attempt by Monsanto to keep fucking farmers over and suing them for using THEIR “round-up ready” alfalfa (once cross contamination happens) IIRC round-up is a pesticide created by Monsanto. I saw Food Inc two years ago and that’s what I vaguely remember from it, Monsanto did the same with corn (or soy??) and many farmers were facing ridiculous lawsuits that put them out of business.

FlyNavy is offline Member
    Much like Monsanto made Roundup Ready Soybeans in the mid '90's, this is Roundup Ready Alfalfa. Roundup, for those that may not know, is a pretty heavy duty herbicide that basicially kills everything. Broadleaf, woody, the whole thing. I think if you used enough of it , you could probably kill a tree with it. They GM'ed the soybean, and now the alfalfa seed to be impervious to the Roundup, thus allowing farmers to essentially drop a tactical nuke on their fields and kill everything except the crop.

I come from a farming background in Missouri, and Monsanto has their HQ in St. Louis. I think it's Food Inc. that tells the story of Monsanto hunting down the few farmers that refused to buy Monsanto soybeans, and kept seed stock from their last harvest. Monsanto claimed that the farmer's beans contained their intellectual property (since there's no way to control cross breeding amongst the fields that are Monsanto and non Monsanto) and they sue the pants off the poor farmers, who are barely scraping a living in the first place. Faced with financial ruin, they comply.

I don't know if the same will happen with alfalfa, since alfalfa is just cut several times in the summer and baled. The plant itself is never harvested, it just grows again like grass. Eventually though they'll have to reseed, but maybe not if the fields are kept "weed" free.

For those that don't know, you also can't just feed a cow nothing but alfalfa. It gives them the "scours" essentially diarrhea and stomach bloating, which they can die from. Farmers typically grind up a small amount in the winter feed along with corn, sorghum, and minerals. This meal usually supplements the hay that they mostly eat. You don't just throw bales of alfalfa to them and let them go at it for the reasons described above. At least this was how my uncle did it on his farm in the early 90's. I can't speak for large commercial operations. It's also typical for farmers to let the herd out into harvested corn fields to eat the ears that the combine missed. Silage, or ground up corn...plant and all, it also common to feed herds in the winter in Missouri, especially when maybe the corn crop was bad, or the price of hay is through the roof.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastman View Post
    That's part of the problem. We don't know because nobody's been able to do an unbiased study.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    What could ever be wrong with regular alfalfa though?

I think this is an attempt by Monsanto to keep fucking farmers over and suing them for using THEIR “round-up ready” alfalfa (once cross contamination happens) IIRC round-up is a pesticide created by Monsanto. I saw Food Inc two years ago and that’s what I vaguely remember from it, Monsanto did the same with corn (or soy??) and many farmers were facing ridiculous lawsuits that put them out of business.
    Corn, soy, anything they can put a patent on.

And there are several reasons why GMOs are not ideal. One, which is concerning, is the alteration of the genetic structure (obviously) such that food items that were traditionally non-allergenic (or low) can cause severe reactions if they contain proteins from a high allergenic food item. GMOs for human food consumption are not allowed to contain high levels of these proteins. However, if you have something like corn, which is used for both animal feed (not being screened for said proteins) and human consumption, there is no way to guarentee cross-contamination/mix-ups at harvest time will not occur.

Beastman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    That's part of the problem. We don't know because nobody's been able to do an unbiased study.
    That figures. This is just big business corruption all over then. Kinda makes you sick.

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    OK. Question: If the majority of the public knew their food had genetically modified components in it (i.e. a Label), they wouldn't buy it. So how is it legal or ethical to sneak through products without a label of what is actually in the food?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast