Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal page

Henderpuck is offline Junior Member

Oatmeal

Hello,

I have been trying to eat mostly Primal over the last 4 weeks. Other than catching a cold in the middle, I find I am feeling good, am less hungry and maintain a regular amount of energy. I feel less bloated, and leaner. The main thing that I have not stayed away from is Peanut Butter - organic with no additives. But, I've substituted pure almond butter about half the time. I found the Primal Blueprint to be quite enlightening and have shared the concepts with several people. I was most fired up to learn that I could stop throwing those yolks away!

The one meal I miss the most is oatmeal. For several years, one of my standard breakfast meals was real Old Fashioned Oats, with flaxseed, protein powder, and berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, or pomegranates). I always viewed this as a healthy breakfast.

How non-primal is oatmeal, as it relates to the no-grains concept. Should I stay away from it completely, or revert to the 80/20 rule? It'd be nice to have it once or twice a week .

I am also working out with relative high intensity, following a P90X/Insanity Hybrid, so I've been a little concerned about getting enough carbs at the appropriate time. Wondering if my Oatmeal combo could be a post-workout meal?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Heath

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Even if they weren't most often times contaminated with gluten (which they are) oats are very very non-primal.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    depends. The occasional bowl I guess, but not optimal. Post workout might be the least harmful time to have them.

I make a porridge (=oatmeal made with less fine oats) with a little bit of rice cereal (about a tablespoon or so), half a banana and some dessicated coconut with milk and cream, and a handful of pecans and blueberries. The cooked banana gives sweetness and the oatmeal-ish texture.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I used to adore oatmeal...turns out it was the cause of ten years of bowel trouble for me, so I never, ever cheat. This recipe is a nice substitute for me. You can eat it warm or cold - much to my surprise I prefer it cold. I make a big batch and it lasts a week or so in the fridge.

1. Meat and liquid from 2 fresh, young coconuts
    2. 2-3 handfuls of soaked almonds
    3. 2 apples, cut into pieces
    4. 5 figs
    5. cinnamon and/or nutmeg to taste

Blend together until the consistency of oatmeal. It keeps in the fridge for at least a week.

I might try it with half macadamia nuts, half almonds. Or add a little coconut milk to it. If warm, butter would be good in it.

I prefer this to oatmeal now.

Edited: Should be 2-3 handfuls of almonds...not cups!!
    Last edited by jammies; 02-01-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    SlimIcy is RIGHT ON. The above thread is VERY IMPORTANT. Eating Oatmeal is far worse than a bowl of sugar.

Grizz

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    where are the sources for that heartscan data?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgrrl View Post
    where are the sources for that heartscan data?
    Geekgrrl,
    Source is here: Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis Blog:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

He is my BIBLE for nutrition & supplements. He was directly responsible for our acceptance of the Paleo Diet and he even promotes "The Paleo Solution" book by Rob Wolf.

I have a great many of his references in my links below,
    Grizz

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Just my 2 cents but the 80/20 rule doesn't mean purposely eating non-Primal foods 20% of the time. It's more about aiming for 100% and if slips happen, don't kick yourself over it.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Just my 2 cents but the 80/20 rule doesn't mean purposely eating non-Primal foods 20% of the time. It's more about aiming for 100% and if slips happen, don't kick yourself over it.
    I thought it was more like, 80% wholly-primal foods (meat, eggs, fibrous veggies) and 20% semi-primal foods (fruit, sweet potatoes, nuts, full-fat dairy)? As opposed to the 20% being stuff like grains, sugar, shortening, etc.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast