Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you spend your 20%? page

Shawnamarie is offline Member

How do you spend your 20%?

Shop Now
    My husband and I are coming off of the 30 day paleo challenge and we're basically sold. We've been very strict about paleo eating this month and we're both very happy with it. After about week 3, the fog lifted and we are starting to feel the benefits more.

I've heard mention that a lot of primal eaters stick to an 80/20 rule and I'm considering what that might look like for me. I'm hesitant to add anything that might mess up how great I feel, even at 20%.

Do many of you try to stay close to 100% or do you allow for this flexibility? For those of you that do the 80/20 thing, how do you like to "spend" your 20%?

Right now I'm thinking I might want to have a piece of a sushi roll with my sashimi, but I'm still wondering if it's worth it at this point.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    then don't add anything.

i don't think of the 20% like a spending account.

for me, it's about is something stressing me out? eg, if i'm not getting the prescribed amount of sleep, am i obsessing? if i'm at a wedding, am i obsessing about whether or not they are serving primal? etc etc etc. kwim?

i don't "spend" my 20%.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    I don't actively "spend" my 20% really. I try to stay as primal as comfortably possible. I can't afford to buy the perfect primal foods, so my canned tuna has some soy broth in it and I have sausage with a couple of chemical fillers and use some non-primal condiments occasionally and stuff like that. So, little things sneak their way in and while shooting for 100% I probably tend to fall around 90-95% most of the time. And the rest is for holiday indulgences, eating out (very rare for me, usually ends up being sushi) and things of the like.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 01-31-2011 at 10:43 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    20% is not an entitlement, its latitude for when you can't do 100%. You should always strive for 100, but never beat yourself up if you don't make it
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Grizz is offline Banned
    Here is MY 20% - Only 500 calories of YUMMY ! A Banana Split at Sonic . . . .

It even has a little Vitamin D - and nourishing banana - Bwahahahahahaha

OR THIS OREO BLAST

with nourishing OREO cookies - Mwaahaahaahahahahaha

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 02-01-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    20% is not an entitlement, its latitude for when you can't do 100%. You should always strive for 100, but never beat yourself up if you don't make it
    +1

urbansix is offline Member
    I let mine allow for small-quantitiy non-primal ingredients in food I don't prepare myself. Such as not worrying too much of the shrimp in the BAS is breaded, or if something was sauteed in the right kind of oil, or garnished with the wrong kind of cheese. As long as I have avoided the major CW/SAD food groups (grains, beans, sugars, manufactured food) I feel I have hit the 80% minimum threshold. Of course I do better when I can.
    Last edited by urbansix; 02-03-2011 at 04:29 AM.

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    I go out to eat with my dad and brother every other week - If we get Philly cheese steaks I have bread, while I cut the rice and tortilla and double or sometimes triple the meat at Chipotle I do grab black beans. If burgers I get buns and and I leave the breading on fried fish - though I cut out the chips/fries.Used to have pizza every week - now that I cut it out of my diet completely I really don't feel getting 20% in - grains now seem to cause me to bloat up. 2 slices of bread every 2 weeks or so seems like more than enough. Have managed to get my dining companions to frequent BBQ pits more often where I can get some greens and lots of meat instead of bread ;D
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    +1

The variance amongst primal folks comes from what different people consider to be primal. Some think dairy is fine, some don't. Some include a little 85% chocolate and/or red wine and don't consider it a cheat. Others would call that their 20%.

I think only aiming for 80% sets you up to hit 60-65% if you're lucky. Aiming for 100% and not stressing when you hit 80% due to circumstances beyond your control is what the 80/20 rule is about I believe.

Personally I aim for 100% when at home but I don't sweat a little sugar in my vietnamese dipping sauce at a restaurant, or if I know a gravy may have a little flour in it as thickener, however I don't deliberately choose non-primal foods.

frances is offline Senior Member
    Why isn't it an entitlement? I certainly don't want to be a Mark Sisson fundamentalist, but i believe he uses his 20% for Cinnabon, Ben and Jerry's, and some weird liquer, the name of which escapes me. I'm sure that isn't 20% of time time, but it's clearly avoidable.

I see it as for those occasions when you want to eat something non-Primal. I use mine for the foods that are high on my "eff-off chart". Do I do that 20% of the time? No. But sometimes one wants a piece of pie.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast