Thread: growing chillies page

Suse is offline Senior Member

growing chillies

Primal Fuel
    does anyone have any idea how long it takes for chillies to turn red on the plant? Mine are all green and showing absolutely no signs of turning red, and I planted them way back at the beginning of November (in NZ - its summer over here). They are supposed to be red chillies, but its like watching paint dry waiting for them to change colour!

lolov is offline Senior Member
    What kind of chilis? Did you grow them from seed? If so, you can look online (or on the seed packet) to see how long it takes for them to mature. Some do take forever and a day :/ But once they go, it's like gangbusters and you'll have so many you won't have a clue what to do with them. I suggest drying them or grinding them up in the food processor and freezing the puree in ice cube trays.

HTH

grew them from seedlings. I think it said about 8 weeks to mature, and its easily been 12. There are heaps and I mean heaps of green ones, if only they would turn red! Mind you I am also waiting for my capsicums to change colour as well. I could starve to death waiting.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    You could accelerate the process by "greenhouse" tenting them <_< but I'm not sure what that would do to the flavor

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if this would work with peppers...but with tomatoes, you can remove the whole plants from ground and leave the fruit on. This will stress the plant and it will put all of its final reserves into the fruit. Good luck!

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I grow hot peppers constantly. Can't live without 'em!

In my experience the final maturing to color X is a function of how much heat/sun the plant is getting. Keep in mind that you can certainly eat the green ones. I can't remember the details but know I've seen somewhere that the green ones have more vitamin C while the red/yellow/whatever ones have more vitamin A... or it could have been the other way around. At any rate, you can eat them whatever color they are and they are good for you!

Enjoy
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Last night I sort of trimmed some of the extra leaves off the plant so that a bit more sun can get on the chillies. I didnt go crazy though. We've been having a run of average weather lately so perhaps once the sun decides to come back with a vengeance I'll see some progress. They are in a position in the garden that literally gets all day sun. I did notice one of my capsicums is starting to get a change on.