Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions to spice up lifting sessions page

hfox is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I've tinkered with the Stronglifts 5x5 model for a couple of months, but despite the fact that I've gotten a lot stronger, I'm growing pretty bored with it. Last week I tried an adapted "300 workout" (subbing out the pull-ups for the one-armed dumbbell leaning rows) and actually had a blast doing it. My problem is that I find the 300 workout to be more of an endurance and not so much a strength thing.. I mean, we're talking 50 deadlifts at 135lbs.

For those Groks and Grokettes who love to lift, what's your routine?

If it matters, my stats: I'm a ~5'6", 145lbs, 20-y.o. strong Grokette. I used to weigh in the 130s, but decided to increase my BF% for health reasons so I'm not interested in losing weight. My goals with the lifting are to get stronger, build some more muscle and just continue to feel healthy and confident generally.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Try plyometric exercises. Bursts of movement and strength. So, pushups where your hands come off the floor, jump squats and high box jumps (one legged, even), get a heavy sandbag or something and throw it as far as you can.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Do you own a kettlebell? I used to get easily bored with my workouts until I got one- now those things are my new love. Good for swings, get ups, etc..

Vick is offline Senior Member

Do you lift at home or in a gym?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Try playing salsa music

Thanks to all for your input. arthurb999, salsa music might be just what I need ;-)

I lift in a gym. This morning I did 5x5 squats (which zapped me), 2x5 deadlifts, 5x5 dumbbell press, a couple of bent-over rows.. it was a good workout.

What are some of your personal routines?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

There's a general misconception about the 300 workout: It was not intended to be a workout, it was merely a one-time challenge to the people who had gone through training for the movie!

But back to the main question..

I workout six days a week, six different routines. Here's an example of my Deadlift routine. I go up in weight 3 reps per set till I hit my 1-rep max. For example:

80x3 (warm up)

135x3

155x3

185x3

205x3

215x3

225x1

But it doesn't always look like that; I really go with how strong I feel that day. Sometimes I'm feeling weak from doing glute-ham raises the day before, so I might just do a few sets at 135. Another day I might feel killer strong and I go up to 245.

And then when I'm done with that, I see how much gas I've got left in the tank for something else to kill the time till my husband is ready to go down to the gym to play "chicken ball" for half an hour. (Which is sort of like handball, but we play with an agility/reaction ball.)

That's just one example. The next day I do medicine ball slams and jumprope in the gym. Another day I grab the 350-lb dumbbell cart and push and pull it around as fast as I can interspersed with some kicking exercises.

But your main question was about lifting, which I only do 2 or 3 times a week. The answer is that I don't stick to a routine, I do what I feel like, or I work on something that I know I've been neglecting lately.

If you want more actual routines than you can shake a stick at, check out tmuscle.com.

Travis G Guest

crossfit football may be what you're looking for. Every day you have a strength workout, which might be 3x5 squats or something simular, then you have a metcon workout that may look something like as many round possible in 20 minutes of 135 clean x 5 and 10 burpees. I've been following this for a while and am not bored and I'm getting stronger...all in all some amazing results.

Thanks for sharing your routines, dragonmamma and Travis.

I plan to incorporate that deadlift sequence into my workouts. It looks fun! I'll also check out tmuscle.com and crossfit football.

Another question: What's the general consensus on working out when sore? I was reading a Stronglifts forum the other day and most of the posters were advocating to lift even when sore, i.e. go ahead with your normal squat routine even with aching quads.

Does working out already sore muscles preclude the ability of one's body to repair fully and thus get stronger? Is DOMS just a lactic acid build-up and not reason enough to delay a lifting day?

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

I lift with AC/DC blasting lol

and then I switch it up, Weights, kettlebells, bulgarian training bag, slosh pipe, lifting heavy things around the yard ...I just Grok it up! xoox Darlene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast