Thread: Would he have to eat this much without carbs? page

huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member

Would he have to eat this much without carbs?

Primal Fuel
    Just read this, I know it's crazy old news, but I'm wondering how much his life would change if he went primal? Thoughts?
    http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/...ry-it-at-home/
    "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
    Denis Waitley

eraserheadgirl Guest
    Maybe I'll take up swimming...

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    "All those eggs and ham and cheese can’t possibly be good for him, can they?"

Of course they question the eggs, meat and dairy instead of saying something about 1,000 cals worth of energy drinks, LOL. Chocolate chips and powdered sugar? Oh, he needs the energy. Meat and eggs? THAT CAN'T BE GOOD.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    An athlete at his level, exercising that much, needs carbs. We can question his choice of carbs (white bread, really?) but you can't train at the level that Phelps does and not eat carbs.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    An athlete at his level, exercising that much, needs carbs. We can question his choice of carbs (white bread, really?) but you can't train at the level that Phelps does and not eat carbs.
    Agreed. Carbohydrates simply do not do the damage to your system when you workout at that level - they are incinerated on impact. He spends a much higher time at high burn levels than even the most enthusiastic of us.

Think of it this way. Most of us find switching to paleo/primal allows us to lose weight . Many of us also notice a decrease in our appetites.

If you believe in calories in/calories out, can you imagine how difficult it would be to injest 12,000 calories a day on a diet that decreases your appetite?

If you believe that further, primal diet changes your metabolism so that you burn fat MORE effectively and therefore you will lose more weight, how many calories on a primal diet would he need if he is maintaining weight on a diet that PROPORTIONALLY would cause many of us to gain (i.e. if I ate 2000 calories of his diet a day I would probably gain weight even though I am losing on 2000 calories of my diet.)

Looking at his body. Not that I would. Well if it is a choice between his body and his face ...ok, if you insist. Wait. Where was I? Oh, he is probably running at ~4% bodyfat in competition. That's not a whole lot above minimal.

The pain will come when he stops competing.

OK google reports anywhere from 4-8% bodyfat. That may be a seasonal variance as well
    Last edited by runnergal; 02-01-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    I agree that he needs carbs, it's just ridiculous that they're concerned about eggs being bad for him when he's a motherfucking calorie blowtorch.

Would it even be possible to eat 12,000 calories worth of 'primal' food? I think I'd start to feel bad around 3,000, but then again, I'm not anywhere close to being an athlete. Fat is just so filling, though.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    "All those eggs and ham and cheese can’t possibly be good for him, can they?"

Of course they question the eggs, meat and dairy instead of saying something about 1,000 cals worth of energy drinks, LOL. Chocolate chips and powdered sugar? Oh, he needs the energy. Meat and eggs? THAT CAN'T BE GOOD.
    +1 I was nodding along until I got to the french toast, then I cringed.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    I agree that he needs carbs, it's just ridiculous that they're concerned about eggs being bad for him when he's a motherfucking calorie blowtorch.

Would it even be possible to eat 12,000 calories worth of 'primal' food? I think I'd start to feel bad around 3,000, but then again, I'm not anywhere close to being an athlete. Fat is just so filling, though.
    I really doubt he seriously eats that (or any similar combination) every single day, even during intensive training, there’s simply no way he can digest all of that in time to get into the water (and at athlete of his caliber is doing TONS of other work besides swimming, weight lifting, other endurance work, etc, he must spend at minimum 3 hours training during the “on” season). I’d be willing to believe that’s a rest day’s worth of food, but definitely, decidedly NOT a training day, no way, I didn’t believe it back then, I don’t believe it now.

I also find it hard to believe that his nutritionist (and he must have one…) would be okay with him downing sugary energy drinks, they HAVE to know better but who knows anymore.

So again, this might be Phelps diet on his off days or during his off season (if he has one) but it’s not a training diet, it’s absolutely not a competition diet, it’s a snow day on a pot smoking binge diet. Oh, and he does smoke pot, it’s never just that ONE time, so I’m not surprised the subject of his outrageous diet didn’t resurface when the pictures of his bong hits did. I bet all his publicists struggled to keep that on the hush hush.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I found "And besides, Klion says, if you’ve got to eat that much, it better be enjoyable, or you won’t be able to keep up. Phelps might not be so eager to shovel down a pound of tofu in a sitting, Klion points out" very telling. They basically straight up admit that crap like Tofu is unpalatable.