Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a hierarchy of meat? page

timbrownson is offline Member

Is there a hierarchy of meat?

Primal Fuel
    I realize beef that isn't grass-fed is somewhat of a no-no, which is a bummer as the cost of of the stuff is ridiculous for a guy that loves his filet mignon and New York Strips.

However as a Brit I also love my lamb and pretty much anything that's sliced off a pig, but I was wondering if some meats are 'better' than others, because at the moment I'm eating a LOT of porcine parts.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Grain-fed beef is ok, it's just not optimal. See Don Matesz's posts on grain-fed vs grass-fed beef:
    A Practically Primal Perspective on Conventional Beef, Part 1: Hormones
    The Practically Primal Guide to Conventional Beef, Part 2: Antibiotics, Chemicals, and Pesticides
    The Practically Primal Guide to Conventional Beef, Part 3: Nutritional composition

The takeaway: Conventional beef provides a negligible hormonal, antibiotic and pesticide load. Grass-fed beef has more micro-nutrients and omega-3s, but the same amount of omega-6s. So, eat some fish if you eat lots of conventional meat, otherwise don't worry about it too much. The message is the same for other ruminants or hind-gut fermenters (yay pigs!), but not for poultry.

Obviously, these are only the nutritional facts; the message is different with regards to the ethics of CAFO meat.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    mine goes like this:

sardines
    oysters
    whole fishes/caviar
    organs
    beef
    other seafood/cold water fish
    other meat

huntergirlhayden is offline Senior Member
    I have one for myself, more because of what I've learned over 3 years in the culinary industry than anything really primal...
    Wild Game is best, any type, venison, wild boar, duck, quail,rabbit,hare,raccoon,squirrel,opossum...
    Large and small fish from deep or remote waters
    Grass fed Beef
    Grass fed pork
    Free range organic chickens
    Then comes everything else

I'm a pastry chef by trade and I've worked in some pretty high end restaurants, I've seen some beautiful pieces of fish, whole sides of tuna that were longer than my leg (I'm only 5'2'', but still, thats a big fish!), that customers didn't respect at all, didn't realize the beauty in, and ordered well done, you might as well eat it out of a can! I've also seen some pretty scary pieces of meat, some lower than low quality pieces of beef ground and added to the hamburger, and in turn heard customers rave about the best burger they've ever eaten! You gotta choose what rocks your wagon, for me, its locally killed wild game (I recently moved back home to a *very* rural area) for others, its supreme bacon or grass fed filet mignon. I can't be sure how things work across the lake my friend, I'm a Southern American hailing from the backwoods bible belt eatin' deer chili and opossum stew.
    "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
    Denis Waitley

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Grass fed pork
    No such thing as grass fed pork. Pigs don't eat grass.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    My list, inspired by the PaNu blog:
    Grass-fed/Grass-finished Beef, Lamb, Bison, Venison
    Wild-caught Fish, esp: Salmon, Mackerel and Sardines, Shellfish
    Wild game: Wild boar, Fowl, Rabbits, Rattlesnake, etc
    Free-range Turkey, Chicken, Duck
    Pastured Pork

Bill_89 is offline Member
    I'm trying to achieve a healthier balance of O3/O6, especially because I can't currently afford grass fed meats.

Is there any downside to canned fish, such as salmon or sardines? It's relatively inexpensive, convenient, and apparently Trader Joe's uses BPA free cans for their fish. Oh, and it's absolutely delicious--I tried sardines for the first time I was surprised by how tasty they were.

timbrownson is offline Member
    Just for all the responses people. I too like Bill am interested in the tinned fish. I believe all tinned salmon is wild as farmed slamno cannot be kind, is that right/ Also I love tinned anchovies, any thoughts?

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    No such thing as grass fed pork. Pigs don't eat grass.
    This is important. Pigs are omnivores. Grain fed pigs are sick, but grass fed pigs are not much better. Pigs need meat in their diet.

Conversely, grass fed beef should be at the top of the heirachy. I suspect that humans evolved eating a diet that consisted mainly of a large ruminant, such as cattle, bison or something similar.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    lets be clear here:

bacon

and then in some order

grass fed happy beef
    tiny oily fish
    Venison or other game meat
    happy chickens
    happy pigs, whatever they eat
    big fish
    happy cows, even if they eat supplemental grain
    "organic meats"
    regular meats
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast